Have you ever been in a situation where you’ve done a whole lot of shopping and found that much of it doesn’t fit into your luggage? Or, have you ever, at least once in your life, stared woefully at a souvenir, knowing that you can’t possibly take it back because of crammed luggage space? Well, if you plan your travel smartly by investing in the best foldable travel bags, you won’t need to worry about foregoing that souvenir! If you’re a big spender, then it’s wise always to carry travel bags that fold up with you. The great thing about these bags is that you can fit them into a small space and literally forget about them until you actually need to use them. Foldable bags for travel are lightweight and surprisingly durable!
However, not everyone who invests in a foldable luggage bag has souvenirs in their mind. Many travelers prefer to invest in luggage that can be safely stowed after use without occupying too much space. So, from the best collapsible suitcase, foldable backpacks, and foldable luggage, you are spoiled for choice. There’s a wide range of options to choose from, which can be quite confusing. To make things easier for you, we’ve reviewed some of the best foldable travel bags that we feel would cater to various travel needs! Keep scrolling and read our picks!
Table of contents
- IFARADAY Foldable Duffel Bag 75 L
- Bago 80L Duffle Bag
- Arxus Foldable Duffle Tote
- Naturehike 18L Packable Backpack
- Samsonite Tote-A-Ton 32.5 Inch Duffel
- Hanke 20-Inch Foldable Suitcase
- Verage Foldable Luggage
- WANDF Foldable Travel Duffel Bag
- Gonex 60L Packable Duffle Bag
- Outlander Packable Backpack
- Canway 65L Foldable Weekender Bag
- REDCAMP 96 L Extra Large Duffle Bag
- Narwey for Spirit Airlines Foldable Duffle Bag
- Paravel Foldable Travel Duffle Bag
- TUMI Voyageur Just In Case Backpack
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Foldable Travel Bags
- What is the specified size for carry-on luggage?
- What is a personal item?
- Is it necessary to invest in a foldable travel bag?
- How much should I pay for a good foldable travel bag?
IFARADAY Foldable Duffel Bag 75 L
We start our list of best foldable travel bags with something so lightweight yet able to fit tons of stuff. The IFARADAY Foldable Duffle Bag 75 L is the best collapsible suitcase you can carry anywhere you travel. When folded, this bag is not that much bigger than an iPad! But once you expand it, you’ll have a 75L capacity.
This bag weighs only half a pound and comes with a lockable, two-way zipper. This means you can make it your main bag as well as your “just in case” bag for when you need extra space to put stuff you buy for your family and friends back home. In addition to that, it’s also available in three different shades, including Black, Red, and Blue. Honestly, all of them look equally great!
- Its 75L capacity allows you to carry a lot.
- Weighing only 0.52 lbs, this bag is super convenient to use.
- We’re huge fans of the smooth two-way zipper.
- This bag is so compact when folded.
- Unfortunately, it doesn’t have the most durable material.
Bago 80L Duffle Bag
Something cheap with more than 10,000 reviews, there definitely is something special about this multipurpose Bago 80L duffel bag! You can conveniently fold this large bag and store it away in a drawer when not in use or take it to the gym when you’re done traveling. Since the bag is so lightweight, you can even take it on the flight with you! Or, feel free to carry it empty as an emergency backup, making it one of the best foldable travel bags.
The Honeycomb Ripstop fabric of the bag is pretty good as it resists wear and tear. Additionally, it’s also water-resistant. A bag of this size has ample storage space with a few extra pockets for better organization. We especially liked the expanding side pocket, which would be ideal for separating dirty clothes. One of the best things about it is that it has a separate odor-free space for packing shoes. Meanwhile, the removable shoulder strap gives you more carrying options.
- Despite being lightweight, it’s very spacious.
- The bag comes with an expanding side pocket for better management.
- It’s lightweight and folds into a flat square when not used.
- It has a durable, water-resistant material.
- The secure stitching guarantees the bag’s durability.
- It’s available in 12 different colors.
- There might be an uneven weight distribution if not packed full.
Arxus Foldable Duffle Tote
Most foldable bags have a main pocket and a small zippered pocket for smaller items, which is no different. However, the Arxus Foldable Duffle Tote also has two mesh side pockets for water bottles. Made from lightweight waterproof, and tear-resistant oxford fabric, this bag is extremely durable. It’s a handy bag for any extra luggage that you may pick up on your travels. As one of the best travel bags that fold up, it sure doesn’t disappoint. When you unfold it, the bag has a storage capacity of 25L.
If you’re planning to take this as backup carry-on luggage, you can pack it to fit under the seat in front of you. The detachable extensible shoulder strap and grab handles are convenient for transporting the bag. Moreover, we also like that it can be slipped onto the handle of bigger luggage with its attach-a-bag sleeve.
Dimensions: Folded 7 x 7 x 1.5 inches – Unfolded 18 x 12 x 6 inches
- We love how lightweight and durable this bag is.
- There are extra pockets on the inside and outside.
- The extensible shoulder straps are detachable.
- There are dedicated mesh pockets for water bottles.
- It’s the most impressive travel bag but good for fitting extra stuff like souvenirs.
Naturehike 18L Packable Backpack
For the die-hard ‘backpack fan,’ this one’s for you. The Naturehike 18L Packable Backpack is so convenient that it can be folded small and stuffed into a small space to emerge when you need it. It has some surprisingly good features that made an impression on us too. It’s made from high-quality 30D nylon material and stitched with fine nylon lines, making it more durable. Added to this is the fact that it is tear-resistant. The YKK zippers are also sealed with silicone for additional durability.
As the name suggests, the large main pocket is roomy enough with an 18L capacity. Additionally, there’s also an outer and inner zippered pocket and two side mesh pockets. Padded adjustable shoulder straps make the bag comfortable to carry around. Touted as a ‘sea to sky bag’ for men and women, we couldn’t agree more with the functionality of this backpack.
Dimensions: Folded 4.7 x 2.7 inches – Unfolded 17 x 10 inches
- Though lightweight, this backpack is so durable.
- It folds so small that finding a place for it won’t be difficult.
- The high-quality ripstop-nylon material is long-lasting.
- The YKK zippers are silicone coated.
- There are two extra pockets for small items.
- You can use the large mesh pockets to hold your water bottle.
- Though not a deal-breaker, you should note that there’s no waist strap.
Samsonite Tote-A-Ton 32.5 Inch Duffel
Best Brand. Samsonite has been in the luggage-making business for a while now, and the Samsonite Tote-A-Ton 32.5 Inch Duffel is one of its best products! This foldable duffel bag proves why the brand is so well-liked. With over 6,000 reviews on Amazon, the Samsonite Tote-A-Ton does seem to be a popular buy. With its affordable price tag and durable material, this bag impressed us so much that it even made it to our list of best budget luggage as well!
This no-frills bag can be taken as a foldable backup bag or can even be used as travel luggage. Crafted from lightweight, durable denier nylon, the bag expands to 32 inches when packed to capacity. According to the official website, it only weighs 1 lb! This means you have plenty of packing space. However, like some travel bags that fold up, it’s not big on organizational pockets. An interior zippered pocket and an exterior pocket are your only additional options. Although there are no straps or wheels, a sturdy handle will help you to transport the bag easily.
Dimensions: Unfolded 33 x 17 x 11.5 inches
- This is a versatile and multipurpose bag that you can take wherever you go.
- Crafted from durable denier nylon, it can last for years.
- We love its large compartment with an interior zippered pocket.
- It’s available in 12 different colorways.
- No wheels or straps could make this a little difficult to carry if packed to full capacity.
Hanke 20-Inch Foldable Suitcase
Suppose you’re looking for a travel bag that provides you with multiple options for storage or luggage; we highly recommend this best collapsible suitcase. This bag’s versatility allows you to take it as carry-on or checked luggage. The Hanke 20-Inch Foldable Suitcase is a collapsible luggage bag that expands to three heights and has a storage capacity ranging from 54.99L to 90L. Additionally, it folds down flat when empty, so you won’t find it too difficult to store this luggage when you’re not using it.
We think that this is one of the best carry-on luggage for men as there’s a lot that you can fit into the first layer of the bag. The bag has firm top handles and a convenient adjustable shoulder strap. Outfitted with four silent wheels, this foldable luggage bag is also easy to maneuver. Furthermore, we like the durability of the polyester fabric with sturdy zippers. Check out this YouTube video review to get to know this suitcase better!
Dimensions: 1 Layer Expansion (17.72 x 10.24 x 19.68 inches) – 2 Layer Expansion (17.72 x 10.24 x 25.99 inches) – Complete Expansion 17.72 x 10.24 x 31.49 inches)
- Its 3-layer expansion allows it to be one of the handiest travel bags ever.
- As a durable option, it comes with sturdy zippers and handles.
- The sturdy and convenient strap is detachable.
- The 4 silent wheels allow you to maneuver it easily.
- It folds flat for easy storage.
- You must be careful when packing this bag to ensure that items you want easy access to are at the top.
Verage Foldable Luggage
Best Suitcase. This best collapsible suitcase takes your packing game to a new level. Verage Foldable Luggage is not just a bag but a smart suitcase. What makes it one of the best foldable bags for travel is its 2-in-1 feature as both a carry-on and a checked bag! Talk about versatility! In its normal state, this bag is only 24 inches. But once expanded, it becomes a huge 28-inch luggage bag!
The fun doesn’t stop there! Each of these bags comes with spinner wheels that can turn 360 degrees while rolling, making maneuvering through the airport gates so much easier. Material-wise, this collapsible luggage bag is made of heavy-duty fabric that is claimed to be both water and tear-resistant.
Dimensions: Folded 17 x 13 x 5 inches – Unfolded 28 inches
- It has a whopping capacity of up to 28 inches.
- As a durable product, it’s both water and tear-resistant.
- For better maneuverability, it comes with 360-degree spinner wheels.
- This bag works as a carry-on, 24-inch, and 28-inch checked bag.
- Need to pack heavy stuff on the bottom of the bag to keep it balanced.
WANDF Foldable Travel Duffel Bag
A multifunctional bag that’s extremely light on the pocket is how we would describe this foldable travel duffel bag. One of the main reasons WANDF Foldable Travel Duffel Bag makes it to our list of best foldable travel bags is the price. This one will suit you if you’re not looking to spend too much on a backup bag.
This bag is crafted from high-quality water-resistant fabric and can be used for multiple purposes. It meets the carry-on regulations of Spirit Airlines and other major carriers. Furthermore, the pouch which the bag folds into can slide over the handle of a trolley for easy transportation. Reinforced straps and sturdy zippers add to the sturdy construction of this lightweight bag.
Dimensions: Folded 7 x 7 x 7 inches – Unfolded 17.7 x 12.6 x 6.3 inches
- This multifunctional bag can be used for gym, travel, and everything in between.
- We love the durable, high-quality water-resistant fabric.
- It meets the carry-on regulations of major airlines.
- Promising durability, it features reinforced straps and sturdy zippers.
- Don’t expect this bag to work like magic at the price you pay. It would probably be a good idea to reinforce the seams, just in case.
Gonex 60L Packable Duffle Bag
Available in dark and neutral colorways, the Gonex 60L Packable Duffle Bag is a nice option for those who want fashionable foldable bags for travel without looking tacky. Crafted from water-resistant and durable honeycomb nylon fabric, this multipurpose bag will serve you well on your travels. You can fold it away into a self-containing pouch, keep it on standby, or use it as a regular travel duffel bag.
Besides rating this as one of the best foldable travel bags, we also think it’s one of the best travel duffel bags. We like that there’s a separate shoe compartment and multiple pockets with a spacious main compartment. You can put a lot into this bag with this organizational space. Meanwhile, the two firm handles will give you grab-and-go portability. In addition, it also has a shoulder strap for additional flexibility.
Dimensions: Folded 11 x 10 x 1.6 inches – Unfolded 24 x 14 x 9 inches
- Many people love its durable, water-resistant fabric.
- There’s a separate shoe compartment.
- We love how the shoulder strap is adjustable.
- It comes with a self-containing pouch to fold and store after use.
- We find the handles to be super sturdy.
- If you’re going to be taking this as a backup bag, there are no issues. However, this foldable travel bag may be smaller than the average duffel bag.
Outlander Packable Backpack
When a bag has over 13,000 ratings on Amazon (and still counting), with more than 70% of them being 5 stars, there must be something special about it. We were curious to find out what makes this backpack so special, and we weren’t disappointed. Firstly, the Outlander Packable Backpack has a spacious packing capacity of 33L, which is a good size to carry on luggage. You can also pack it away in your luggage for those extras you want to bring home or use it as a day pack.
Moreover, it has a classic backpack shape with several pockets for better organization. Two front zipper pockets will hold smaller items, while the internal zippered pocket can be used for your travel documents. It also has a roomy main pocket and two side pockets for water bottles or umbrellas. The bag is made from ripstop nylon fabric, meaning it’s both water-resistant and durable. Meanwhile, the durable 2-way abrasion-resistant SBS metal zippers move smoothly to keep your bag secure. Finally, this foldable travel backpack also comes in a wide range of colors.
Dimensions: Folded 6.29 x 5.9 x 2 inches – Unfolded 19 x 13 x 8.2 inches
- The water-resistant rip-stop nylon fabric is durable.
- We love the addition of the 2-way abrasion-resistant SBS metal zippers.
- There are multiple pockets.
- In addition, there are side pockets for bottles as well.
- It comes complete with a carabiner clip.
- It may not stand up to the rigors of the outdoors a regular backpack.
Canway 65L Foldable Weekender Bag
Another foldable bag for travel that ranks high in the reviews is the Canway 65L Foldable Weekender Bag. We weren’t too surprised with the positive reviews as this bag looks great and is also highly durable. The waterproof and tear-resistant fabric is made from 600D polyester fabric. Also, you can be sure that this bag will stand up well to the rigors of travel with premium metal SBS zippers and reinforced stress points.
The lightweight duffel has a spacious main compartment and six separate pockets for better organization. What we like the most is the ventilated shoe pocket that can also be used for dirty laundry! Moreover, the sturdy padded handles and detachable strap make the bag easy to transport. It also has a sleeve to attach to a bigger trolley bag. Oh, we also like the fact that the bag comes with a two-year warranty. Anything that has a warranty reflects the company’s commitment to a good product!
Dimensions: Folded 10.6 x 9.4 x 3.9 inches – Unfolded 26.3 x 13.7 x 12.2 inches
- This bag is super spacious and has multiple pockets.
- There is a separate ventilated side pocket for shoes.
- The 600D polyester fabric is extremely durable.
- It comes with sturdy padded handles and a detachable strap.
- There’s also a sleeve to fit onto bigger luggage.
- A two-year warranty backs it.
- The lack of a sturdy base tends to make the bag fold in the center when full.
REDCAMP 96 L Extra Large Duffle Bag
Be it for camping, air travel, or road trips, REDCAMP 96 L Extra Large Duffle Bag is the right choice when looking for alternatives to the best collapsible suitcase. This foldable luggage bag is only 8 inches long when folded. So easy to carry and store! Yet, its 96 L volume also gives you the option to use it as your main luggage. That’s way bigger than most weekender bags for travel you can find.
Moreover, its material is water-resistant. So, you don’t have to worry about carrying this bag in drizzling rain when moving from one campsite to another. If somehow water seeps in or if you find any unexpected damage to this bag, you can always return it to REDCAMP and get a new one! This is as long as it’s under 365 days. Yep, this bag comes with a full-year warranty! Not a bad deal, isn’t it?
Dimensions: Folded 8 x 9 inches – Unfolded 31 x 12 x 16 inches
- The water-resistant allows you to carry the bag when raining.
- There are various choices of colors available.
- This bag is compact when folded, making it easy to carry and store.
- It’s backed by a one-year warranty.
- It has up to 96 L of capacity.
- As much as we love this bag, it’s not suitable for heavy loads as the handles aren’t made for heavy lifting.
Narwey for Spirit Airlines Foldable Duffle Bag
The Narwey for Spirit Airlines Foldable Duffle Bag is ideal for carrying back your souvenirs. It’ll also serve you well as a personal item on a flight. It fits the personal item size of Spirit Airlines and Frontier Airlines. Not to mention, you can safely place it under the seat in front of you. The bag is spacious enough to fit your necessities if you choose to take it as under-seat travel luggage. Small items like travel documents can be stored in the external storage pocket.
This is one of the best foldable travel bags because of its thick water-resistant fabric and functionality. Many others agree with us, too, as the bag currently has more than 16,000 reviews on Amazon. You’re kind of spoilt for choice as well. That’s because this bag is available in a variety of colors. Meanwhile, the attached pouch into which the bag folds can slide over the handle of a trolley bag. Also, the sturdy straps and detachable shoulder strap make it easy to carry.
Dimensions: Folded 7.5 x 6.7 x 2.5 inches – Unfolded 17.7 x 12.6 x 6.3 inches
- It features a durable, water-resistant fabric.
- This bag also comes with sturdy reinforced straps plus a detachable shoulder strap.
- It has a bag strap.
- We love how it fits the new specifications of Spirit Airlines.
- This works well as a backup bag but would not hold up well as a regular travel bag.
Paravel Foldable Travel Duffle Bag
Best Duffle Bag. Featherlight and versatile, this Paravel Foldable Travel Duffle Bag folds down into a compact little pouch that can be packed into your main luggage. It’s a great bag to take along for those last-minute souvenirs or gifts. We think this bag looks pretty good, too, with its contrasting straps. Because of this, it looks like it costs way more than it actually is! Not so bad, isn’t it?
Moreover, you have the option to use this foldable luggage bag over your shoulder or slide it over the handle of your rolling luggage. The smart trolley sleeve makes this possible. Also, we have to talk about the material. Made from lightweight, durable nylon with reinforced cotton webbing handles and sturdy zippers, you can be sure this one will stand up to the stress of travel.
Dimensions: Folded 9.75 x 8 x 2.75 inches – Unfolded 18 x 11 x 11.5 inches
- Though featherlight, this bag is surprisingly durable.
- It’s made from durable nylon.
- We love the durability of the reinforced cotton webbing handles.
- Unlike other cheap options, this bag comes with sturdy zips.
- The zippered slot could be a little narrow for sliding over certain handles.
TUMI Voyageur Just In Case Backpack
Best Backpack. Those familiar with TUMI luggage know that it doesn’t come cheap. However, the luggage stands up really well for daily use or travel. So, if you’re looking to equip yourself with some of the best durable luggage, we recommend investing in TUMI. For women who love carrying a backpack on their travels, this TUMI Voyageur Just In Case Backpack will definitely win you over. It’s both stylish and practical with a few surprising features. For one, it comes with a convenient back sleeve that slides over rolling luggage, allowing you to juggle fewer bags.
In addition, this backpack can also be folded and stored in a tiny zipper pouch included with the purchase. Thus, you can transport it and access it easily! Though lightweight, this bag is surprisingly sturdy, and we love how big the main compartment is. Not to mention, the backpack straps are highly adjustable, too. Made from durable nylon with sturdy zippers, you can be sure that this backpack won’t go wrong. To know more about this item, check out findmeabackpack.com’s review!
Dimensions: Unfolded 15.5 x 12.3 x 4.5 inches
- It’s crafted from durable nylon.
- This backpack comes with extra sturdy zippers.
- It can easily fold into a small zipper pouch.
- Thanks to the sleeve, you can carry your belongings with only one hand.
- Some people think this backpack isn’t big enough.
All of the best foldable travel bags listed above are nothing short of impressive. Whether you’re into a foldable luggage bag or looking for the best collapsible suitcase, each of them will surely make your travel way more convenient. However, choosing only one can be a hassle, especially since all of them have different things to offer. To help you out, we’ve picked some of our favorites according to the following criteria:
- Best Backpack: TUMI Voyageur Just In Case Backpack
- Best Duffle Bag: Paravel Foldable Travel Duffle Bag
- Best Suitcase: Verage Foldable Luggage
- Best Brand: Samsonite Tote-A-Ton 32.5 Inch Duffel
How To Choose The Best Foldable Travel Bags
The first thing that you need to be aware of is what the luggage will be used for. Are you investing in a bag only for souvenirs, or will it be your main carry-on luggage? For someone looking out for a backup bag only for small knick-knacks, it would be best to pick up something durable yet light in the pocket. Look out for something voluminous yet stylish. On the other hand, if the foldable luggage will be a part of your main luggage, you need to note other factors.
Size And Space Saving Ability
Whatever your reasons for investing in a foldable travel bag, you want to be sure that it can fold down as promised. There’s no point in spending on something labeled ‘foldable’ only to realize that it doesn’t fold back once opened. If you’re going to invest in the best collapsible suitcase or collapsible luggage bag, check out the folded dimensions to know where to store it once you’re done with your travels.
The size you pick depends on what it will be used for. You don’t want to buy something too big or too small, even if it’s only going to be used as a backup. If this bag is going to be carried on luggage, make sure that you’re aware of specified airline dimensions.
Unless you’re looking out for a ‘use and throw’ foldable travel bag, you’ll want to invest in something durable. Good quality makes all the difference in how long a bag will last. Water and tear-resistant materials should top your list of what to look out for. Bags made from ripstop nylon, high-denier polyester, Cordura, or ballistic nylon are the way to go. Look out for reinforced stitching and sturdy handles. Sturdy zippers are equally important as you don’t want your bag gaping open if the zipper breaks. Even with a souvenir bag, you want to make sure that the stitching is strong. Who wants the bag suddenly splitting open at the seams once it’s packed?
Style is a personal choice as this depends on individual preferences. Foldable travel bags are available in various styles, as enumerated above. If you prefer the grab-and-go option, then a foldable tote or duffel would be your best bet. However, if you’d rather have their hands free, you should look out for a foldable backpack. The advantage of investing in a fold-down suitcase or bigger bag is its flexibility. These bags can be opened up all the way to be used as check-in luggage or folded down to be taken as carry-on luggage. The biggest disadvantage with these bags is that your items are not easily accessible.
Even if you carry a foldable bag as a backup, don’t look for something cheaply made. There’s no point in buying a bag every few months. Pick something durable to stand up to the rigors of travel. You never know when that foldable bag will become a lifesaver. Imagine how terrible it would be if you bought a cheap bag only to have it rip apart on the very first use. Spend wisely so that luggage is the least of your problems when traveling.
What is the specified size for carry-on luggage?
The standard carry-on luggage allowed on a flight is 22 x 14 x 19 inches; the size differs from one airline to the next. Check the baggage policy of the airline you’re flying with to be sure. Below are the permitted carry-on luggage sizes of some popular airlines.
|American Airlines||22 x 14 x 9 inches|
|Delta Airlines||22 x 14 x 9 inches|
|Frontier Airlines||24 x 16 x 10 inches|
|JetBlue Airlines||22 x 14 x 9 inches|
|Spirit Airlines||18 x 14 x 8 inches|
|United Airlines||22 x 14 x 9 inches|
What is a personal item?
Personal items are generally much smaller than your regular luggage. These include purses, a tote or beach bag, a laptop bag, or a briefcase. Limit the size of your personal item if you want to avoid baggage fees. If you carry something too big, you may be charged for it. Strollers and diaper bags are also considered to be personal items by most airlines.
Is it necessary to invest in a foldable travel bag?
While investing in a foldable travel bag is unnecessary, it’s always good to carry one with you. A foldable bag will occupy a tiny space in your luggage. You can take it out later to carry your dirty laundry or pack your extra shopping. As regular luggage, these bags can be stowed easily after use.
How much should I pay for a good foldable travel bag?
You don’t want to compromise on the price of luggage of any kind. If you’re going to be using the foldable bag as luggage, don’t scrimp on the price. The price is irrelevant if the bag has the features you’re looking for and serves the purpose. However, it would be best to keep in mind that all luxury bags do not live up to the hype. A highly-priced bag may give out by the end of the trip. You’ll sometimes be surprised by how good the best budget luggage sometimes is. We don’t recommend going overboard with the spending if the bag will only be used as a backup.