If you’ve ever had cold feet dealing with your cold feet, then it’s time to invest in infrared heaters. Now that winter is almost upon us, we began thinking about how to get cozy – and infrared heaters are one of the easiest and most effective ways to do so. The best Best Buy heaters, infrared ones, made the space warm, toasty, and inviting. We achieved true hygge in cold rooms with infrared heaters, something that has never happened no matter how many sweatshirts and socks we’ve doubled up on. Since not all heaters have been created equally, some are much better than others. Also, we realized that while IR heaters might not be the best choice for heating large rooms, they’re definitely great for heating smaller spaces like breakfast nooks, small home offices, and even bedrooms.
But what sold us was that they stayed relatively cool to the touch, making them a safer choice in our household with kids and pets. We’ve done the legwork researching popular IR heaters, rating them for value, safety features, design, and heating performance. Here’s a detailed and comprehensive guide.
Table of contents
- Lifesmart 6-Wrapped Element Infrared Heater
- Honeywell UberHeat 5 Ceramic Heater
- Lasko Portable Ceramic Tower Space Heater
- Honeywell ThermaWave 6 Ceramic Heater
- Atomi Smart Wi-Fi Ceramic Tower Heater
- Heat Storm Phoenix Infrared Space Heater
- Lifesmart 3-Sided Flame View Infrared Heater Stove
- Heat Storm Logan Deluxe Infrared Cabinet Space Heater
- Heat Storm Tradesman Infrared Heater and Tripod Combo
- Honeywell UberHeat Plus Ceramic Heater
- Lifesmart 8-Element Infrared Heater Wood Cabinet
- Heat Storm Wave Floor-to-Wall Portable IR Heater
- Lifesmart 6-Element IR Heater with Front Intake Vent and UV Light
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Best Buy Infrared Heaters?
- Which is better infrared or space heaters?
- Do infrared heaters burn a lot of electricity?
- Are infrared heaters safe?
Lifesmart 6-Wrapped Element Infrared Heater
The Lifesmart 6-Wrapped Element Infrared Heater brought the warmth and beauty of a fireplace to our home without a fireplace actually needing to be installed. This IR heater employed 6 quartz infrared elements that produced comfort and heat in smaller spaces of the house, like our writer’s den and the sunroom. Thanks to the 3 heat settings, an Eco mode, and 1000/1500 W power, the heater maintained a constant warmth of 68 degrees Fahrenheit. We especially appreciated the crock of safety features, which include a child-safety lock, a cool-touch exterior cabinet, an overheating safety switch, and tip-over protection. The best bit? The fireplace produced a realistically beautiful dancing flame that could be operated with/without heat. So we could enjoy the ambiance throughout the year.
- The noiseless scroll fan helps circulate the heat.
- The remote control made operating the fireplace from across the room easy.
- It has a 12-hour programmable timer and 3 heat settings.
- It might not heat up larger spaces as much.
Honeywell UberHeat 5 Ceramic Heater
Small and powerful, that could very well be the tagline of the Honeywell UberHeat 5 Ceramic Heater. We were always able to stay comfortable and warm with the cozy and powerful heat from this Honeywell heater. For one, this small heater boasted easy-to-use manual controls and even two comfort settings, low and high. What’s more, the adjustable thermostat provides the ultimate customized comfort, making it ideal for small, personal rooms in the house, like the breakfast room and the kids’ room. Not only does it have 360-degree tip-over protection, but it also offers overheating protection.
“The size of this heater completely belied the actual heating power, which was great!”WOW Travel
Check out this detailed YouTube video review of this product.
- This product comes with a three-year limited warranty.
- It boasts cool touch housing and overheating protection.
- It comes with two heat settings.
- It doesn’t work for larger spaces.
Lasko Portable Ceramic Tower Space Heater
Best tower IR heater. We were looking for an elongated standing IR heater when we chanced upon the Lasko Portable Ceramic Tower Heater. Equipped with a remote control, this effective heater provided effective heating for most rooms in our home. It came with an elongated heating element that provided all-over heating for complete comfort in winter when combined with widespread oscillation and penetrating air velocity. Moreover, this ceramic heater even featured an electronic, programmable thermostat, allowing us to control the heat settings right from where we sat. This was thanks to the multi-functional remote control, which we also used to control the two quiet comfort settings and the seven-hour timer. Read this detailed review about this heater from Don’t Waste Your Money.
Are you planning to visit one of the best camping sites in the United States? Why not invest in this portable Lasko heater, then?
- The brand’s Safe Ceramic Warmth engineering provided us with peace of mind.
- It’s lightweight enough to be moved from room to room.
- It comes with three heat settings and two quiet comfort settings.
- Some reviewers felt that it could be more powerful.
Honeywell ThermaWave 6 Ceramic Heater
Directional heating didn’t get better than with the Honeywell ThermaWave 6 Ceramic Heater, which allowed us to take control of our comfort. We were able to use this heater in any room of our home, and it would provide comforting and powerful heating. This heater was ideal whether it was the bedrooms, the sunroom, or even the living room. Firstly, this small heater featured a programmable thermostat, allowing us to control both low and high heat settings. Moreover, it even allowed for directional heat control and came with a fan-only option. The powerful and quiet ceramic heating technology maximized the heat output thanks to the ergonomic design.
- This heater boasts an adjustable thermostat.
- It boasts three heat settings, namely fan-only, low, and high.
- It has electronic LED controls.
- It could do with a little power.
Atomi Smart Wi-Fi Ceramic Tower Heater
Best smart heater. When looking for a space heater to match our high-flying smart home, the Atomi Smart Wi-Fi Ceramic Tower Heater was the only one that fit the bill. This heater was ideal for savvy users like us since it boasted a handy and rather sleek touchscreen digital display. We could use it to adjust between the three different heat settings easily and could even use it to control the device from Alexa or Google Home devices. Moreover, the heater even came with an app that allowed us to monitor and change settings in case the heater toppled over when we were not at home. Finally, it heated up very quickly due to the ceramic element, upping the room’s temperature by almost 10 degrees in 5 minutes on the high setting.
- The digital touchscreen display is easy to use.
- It’s compatible with smart devices and apps.
- It heats up very quickly.
- The app could be glitchy.
Heat Storm Phoenix Infrared Space Heater
When floor space is at the premium, we look for nifty ideas for wall-mounted appliances – so why not heaters too? Behold the Heat Storm Phoenix Infrared Space Heater, a fantastic wall-mounted infrared heater that took up practically no space in our room. Since we were worried about the kids and pets around the wires, we were even able to mount it over an electrical outlet. That prevented the power cord from hanging down, rendering it safe to use around the children and scampering dogs.
Moreover, the grill was cool to the touch, making it even safer to be around the pets and the children. Since it could heat spaces up to 1,000 sq. ft., we could use it not just in the bedroom and the breakfast nook but even in the living room. If that wasn’t enough, we could connect the device to our home’s Wi-Fi, adjusting the settings from our smartphones easily.
- The wall-mounted design helped us save a ton of foot space.
- It could be connected to the Wi-Fi.
- The grill stays cool to the touch.
- We couldn’t adjust the vent direction.
Lifesmart 3-Sided Flame View Infrared Heater Stove
How could we get the look and feel of a fireplace in the house without actually having a fireplace? The LifeSmart 3-Element Infrared Stove Heater was the answer. This IR heater featured 3 quartz elements which, along with 2 heat settings of 1000/1500 W, heated up rooms even as large as living rooms quickly. What we loved about it is that it comes with a boatload of safety features, including a child safety lock, an overheating safety switch, and tip-over protection. If that wasn’t enough, even its exterior was cool to the touch, which rendered it even safer around kids. Above all, we loved the unique three-sided window flame view that allowed us to see the flames dancing about while warming our home, just like a real fireplace in the wall. The best bit? We could adjust both the realistic flame effect functions and the flame brightness with/without heat.
- The exterior remains cool to the touch.
- It boasts safety features.
- It comes with two heat settings.
Heat Storm Logan Deluxe Infrared Cabinet Space Heater
Most portable. The Heat Storm Logan Deluxe Infrared Cabinet Space Heater was perfect for the medium-sized rooms in our home. The space-saving design is ultra-efficient and features four quartz infrared elements encased in the brand’s patented HMS technology. In fact, this technology was a double-walled heat exchanger that provided a whole lot of amazing safety features, thus making for a safer heating environment for our kids. So, we were able to get better heat, and that too faster and more efficiently. Besides a lifetime washable air filter, the eco setting reduced the power from 1,500 to 750 W, ensuring lesser power consumption. Finally, this stylish heater was ensconced in a stylish wood cabinet with a black front that was cool to the touch always.
- It came with a remote control to operate the digital thermostat.
- The included casters make the heater portable.
- It comes in three colors.
- It’s slightly expensive.
Heat Storm Tradesman Infrared Heater and Tripod Combo
The Heat Storm Tradesman Infrared Heater and Tripod Combo includes not just an IR heater from Heat Storm but also comes with a tripod for easy installation and portability. It provided gentle warmth for smaller areas where floor space was at a premium, such as the kitchen and the breakfast nook. Plus, we had the flexibility to install it on the included tripod or even the ceiling or the wall. In fact, we even used it on our small patio when it got cold, making it the best patio heater to buy option. The carbon fiber heating element heated very efficiently, with the aluminum reflector evenly concentrating the heat outward. Aside from the safe aluminum alloy frame, it even has a mounting bracket that tilted forward/backward to angle the device as we needed it.
- This heater is rated IPX4 weatherproof, which protects it against dust and rain.
- This IR heater is easy to set up.
- The heater is comfy and silent.
- Some said that the power switch could be glitchy.
Honeywell UberHeat Plus Ceramic Heater
Best value for money. We saw the Uberheat 5; now we come to the Honeywell UberHeat Plus Ceramic Heater, which might not be as noiseless as the others, but it offers excellent value. It costs less than 60 USD! At the same time, it came with a plethora of features, starting with the programmable thermostat. It allowed us to choose our preferred temperature and kept it consistent rather than wavering. What’s more, the non-slipping rubber feet ensured excellent stability, and we could keep the heater even on slightly uneven surfaces. But what we really appreciated was the cool-touch plastic housing that went a long way in preventing any accidental burns, especially since we had running kids and pets in the house. Rounding things up was the automatic tip-over switch, which would shut it off in case it accidentally tipped.
- It has a plastic carrying handle for easy portability.
- It has electronic controls with 4 thermostat and 2 comfort thermostat settings.
- It has an auto-off timer with options for 2, 4, and 8 hours for preset operation.
- It takes a little bit of time to warm up the space.
Lifesmart 8-Element Infrared Heater Wood Cabinet
Imagine having a movable fireplace on the go, just like a real stone wall one! That’s one of the reasons we loved the Lifesmart 8-Element Infrared Heater Wood Cabinet, which also went with the minimalist aesthetic of our living room. This heater boasts a revolutionary design with 8 quartz infrared elements wrapped in a metal heat exchanger coil, this ensuring greater, healthier heat radiance. What’s more, it has three energy savings settings, including an eco mode that could even heat smaller areas like home offices and breakfast nooks. But it was the stylish all-wooden Quakertown dark oak cabinet that was the winner. Not only did it look wonderfully sleek and stylish, but also it was cool to the touch. Finally, the easy-glide casters allowed us to move it from room to room easily. Check out more details on the official product page.
- This heater is portable and brought comfort to us where we needed it.
- The digital thermostat can be operated using a remote control.
- The dual-timer settings were nifty and useful.
- It’s expensive.
Heat Storm Wave Floor-to-Wall Portable IR Heater
We didn’t have much floor space in our smaller bedroom for a heater, which is why the Heat Storm Wave Floor-to-Wall Portable IR Heater was a great solution. This space-saving 1000W heater was easily able to heat up the room without taking up too much foot space. At the same time, we didn’t have to worry about tripping our breaker for running other electronics such as TVs and laptops. Furthermore, the heater was safe to touch, even on the grill, making it a great choice for being around kids too. Since the unit has two power modes, with one using 500 W (green lead) and the other using 1,000 W (red leaf), we were able to regular power consumption too.
- The device boasts the brand’s patented Heat Exchanger with HMS Technology, allowing for maximum heat without heat loss.
- It has a safe-to-the-touch grill.
- The in-built thermostat is great for regulating the temperature.
- It’s on the expensive side.
Lifesmart 6-Element IR Heater with Front Intake Vent and UV Light
Sitting atop the list is the Lifesmart 6-Element IR Heater with Front Intake Vent and UV Light. This IR heater brought the beauty and warmth of a fireplace in our house without one actually needing to be installed. It employed 6 quartz IR elements to produce heat and comfort and was perfect for heating rooms like bedrooms and sunrooms. What’s more, it came with three heat settings of 1000/1500 W and an eco mode that maintained a constant 68 degrees Fahrenheit. It even came with a bevy of safety features, including a kids’ safety lock, an overheating safety switch, and tip-over protection. The cool-to-the-touch exterior cabinet wraps up the features of this heater.
- The heater can be operated with a remote control.
- A quiet fan helps circulate the heat.
- The fireplace produces a realistic and beautiful and realistic dancing flame.
While we loved all the IR heaters on this list, they’re all varied when it comes to sizes and heating elements. That’s why we’ve come up with a shorter, specialized list to help you decide.
- Best value for money: Honeywell UberHeat Plus Ceramic Heater
- Best tower IR heater: Lasko Portable Ceramic Tower Space Heater
- Best smart heater: Atomi Smart Wi-Fi Ceramic Tower Heater
- Most portable: Heat Storm Logan Deluxe Infrared Cabinet Space Heater
How To Choose The Best Best Buy Infrared Heaters?
Heat output and size
One of the most important things we considered while shopping for IR heaters was whether they were rated for the size of the space we were trying to heat. So, the higher the watt output rating, the more heat one would get from it. Is the heater the primary source of warmth in the room? Then, go for IR heaters with higher watt ratings.
Similarly, some IR heaters are designed for small spaces or tabletops; others are larger and need to be placed on the floor. Hence, we measured the location where we planned to put the heater so we could be sure to buy one with the right dimensions for the space. Some units can also be mounted on the ceiling or the wall. When you measure the areas, also make a note of the electrical outlet locations.
When buying IR heaters, we went above and beyond when it came to safety and testing.
- IPC (Ingress Protection Code): This two-digit-number code shows how well the heater fares when exposed to the elements. The combination refers to the product’s resistance to solids and liquids.
- Certification: Look for ETL or UL certifications indicating that the product has undergone rigorous safety tests.
- Cool-touch exterior: One of the biggest benefits of IR heaters is that the exterior never becomes overly hot. That said, do stay away from the grill, and watch pets and kids carefully at all times around them.
- Overheating shutoff: When heaters begin to overheat, this safety feature ensures that the device turns off.
- Tip-over Shutoff: The product turns off if it accidentally flips over or onto its side, thus reducing the risk of fire.
Which is better infrared or space heaters?
Space heaters work for larger spaces, whereas IR heaters are better suited for spot heating or smaller spaces.
Do infrared heaters burn a lot of electricity?
No, IR heaters are incredibly efficient and are, in fact, designed to use as little energy as possible.
Are infrared heaters safe?
IR heaters are actually very safe, as infrared rays are similar to sun rays.