If you’re anywhere in the Midwest US, you’d have quickly learned the art and science of snow shoveling, just like we did. Whether we’d have to clear snow every few days or once a season, we realized it was important to have a snow shovel that allowed us to clear not just our driveway but also our walking paths. That too, the entire process needed efficient clearing without putting strain on our bodies, especially our backs. If you’ve ever felt the pain of using sub-par tools – and dealing with the lingering effects – then these options for a Best Buy snow shovel are a godsend. Shoveling will always be hard work, but these great shovels made our jobs a lot easier and minimized the toll on our bodies.
Since picking the right one comes down to many factors – including body type – so, we’ve done the legwork for you and amassed an array of options to suit a wide range of people. Check out this detailed guide.
Table of contents
- Greenworks 80V 12” Cordless Brushless Snow Shovel
- Snow Joe Roof Rake
- Barska Foldable Metal Shovel
- Snow Joe 24V 13-Inch Cordless Snow Shovel and Ice Dozer
- Snow Joe Telescoping Snow Broom + Ice Scraper
- Snow Joe SJ-SHLV01 Shovelution Strain-Reducing Snow Shovel
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Best Buy Snow Shovels?
- What is the most efficient snow shovel pattern?
- Is a metal snow shovel better or a plastic one?
- Are curved snow shovels better?
Greenworks 80V 12” Cordless Brushless Snow Shovel
Best battery-powered shovel. Not all shovels have to be traditional shovels, do they? The Greenworks – 80V 12” Cordless Brushless Snow Shovel is unique because it’s a battery-powered shovel! This electric snow shovel was perfect for clearing snow out from our patio and driveway, thanks to the easy and convenient battery-operated, cordless operation. What’s more, it boasts a 180-degree rotating chute, so it could throw snow up to 25 ft (7.6 m) in any direction without us having to do anything extra.
Did you know we used this tool to shovel snow at night? Yes! The dual LEDs, along with the 6-inch rear wheels, ensured better visibility, which helped every family member maneuver the shovel easily to clear snow at any time of the day. Wrapping things up was the easy-fold system that allowed us to transport and store this product easily. That’s why this one is considered one of the best Best Buy snow blowers too.
- The battery can fully charge in less than 30 minutes.
- The shovel has a 45-minute runtime on a single charge.
- For a price of less than 250 USD, this shovel offers value for money.
- It might be better suited for smaller driveways.
Snow Joe Roof Rake
Most lightweight. All snow shovels aren’t the same, as is evident from this Snow Joe Roof Rake. We were looking for something lightweight and handy to remove snow and other debris from the roofs of our homes without having to climb it. And this roof rake is perfect in more ways than one. Not only is this rake durable, but it also slid very smoothly along the entire area and quickly removed snow, even when it was heavy and slushy. This is thanks to the 15×20″ polyester snow slide, which helped lift and move large amounts of snow. Moreover, the three-inch roller wheels not only increased the maneuverability of the shovel but also prevented roof damage. If that wasn’t enough, the package came with 4 aluminum extension poles that provided as many as 5 length options ranging from 6.5 to 22 ft (2 to 6.7 m)!
- It’s easy to maneuver.
- The wheels prevent roof damage too.
- It removes snow quickly and in volumes.
- It’s expensive.
Barska Foldable Metal Shovel
Best foldable. We were able to tackle all sorts of small and big jobs with the nifty and extremely useful Barska Foldable Metal Shovel. We loved the shovel for many reasons, starting with the serrated edge that offered versatility for many tasks. This included removing snow, digging through gravel and dirt, breaking up ice, and sawing up wood for kindling! Since it boasts a steel construction, we’re even assured of the durability of this shovel. Did you know that this shovel even came with an in-built compass and bottle opener? Yep! They allowed for GPS monitoring and also provided a whole lot of convenience when we were camping. Rounding up the features are the foldable design and the carrying case, which allowed us to transport and store this shovel easily.
- This shovel is very versatile.
- It comes with an in-built compass and bottle opener.
- It’s portable and comes with a carrying case.
- The size might be smaller than expected.
Snow Joe 24V 13-Inch Cordless Snow Shovel and Ice Dozer
Best value. We were looking for an electric snow shovel to clear snowfall from our medium-sized driveway, patio, and deck when we chanced upon the Snow Joe 24V 13-inch Cordless Snow Shovel and Ice Dozer. In less than 150 USD, we got an electric snow shovel and an ice dozer. If there ever was the best value for money in snow shovels, this would be it. This quiet, fume-free, fast, and easy cordless solution perfectly suited our needs and could easily handle light snowfall and dustings. Thanks to the 180-degree chute with a throwing distance of 25 ft (7.6 m), we didn’t have to lift snow physically. Adding to the convenience was the 13-inch clearing path, so we didn’t have to take many passes on our medium-sized driveway either.
Check out the official product page to learn more about this nifty product.
- We could clear snow in the dark thanks to the dual LED headlamps.
- It’s extremely value for money.
- It’s very easy to use.
- Since it’s battery-operated, you might need to think more about maintaining it.
Snow Joe Telescoping Snow Broom + Ice Scraper
The Snow Joe Telescoping Snow Broom + Ice Scraper is a great dual-purpose design that tackles ice and snow wonderfully well. Firstly, it had a non-abrasive, durable foam head that pushed wet and heavy snow off our cars without damaging the windshield glass or the windows. For us, that was a big plus point. Secondly, the in-built ice scraper quickly cleared ice build-up on the windows and windshields, again without damaging them. What’s more, the auto-locking telescoping pole could be adjusted in lengths ranging from 33 to 52 inches, making it as extendable as we wanted. The best bit? The snow broom weighed only 1.4 lbs (0.63 kg) for easy and hassle-free handling.
- It’s extremely lightweight and easy to handle and maneuver.
- It could quickly clear snow and ice build-up from the windows and windshields.
- It boasts an auto-locking telescoping pole.
- Some reviewers said that it couldn’t handle heavy snow.
Snow Joe SJ-SHLV01 Shovelution Strain-Reducing Snow Shovel
Best overall. It really can’t get any better than a shovel named the “Shovelution,” can it? Behold the Snow Joe SJ-SHLV01 Shovelution Strain-Reducing Snow Shovel, the top spot contender for the best snow shovels, and it’s easy to see why. This all-purpose shovel works for clearing both lift, fluffy powder, and heavy, slushy snow, breaking down easily for storage too. So we could easily store it in our car trunk and the apartment closet. What’s more, the shovel is lightweight with an aluminum wear edge and a sturdy poly blade. There was even a loop of cloth that kept the entire assembly tamed during storage. But what we really loved was the second handle with its own Neither did it take extra attention and energy, nor did it interfere with the shoveling.
- It’s durable and sturdy.
- The dual-handle design minimized back pain.
- It stows away easily in small spaces.
- The unusual design might take some getting used to.
Snow shovels are one of the handiest tools to have during wintertime, especially if you live somewhere where it snows a lot. That’s why we’ve also included a small, specialized list to help you choose:
- Best battery-powered shovel: Greenworks 80V 12” Cordless Brushless Snow Shovel
- Most lightweight: Snow Joe Roof Rake
- Best foldable: Barska Foldable Metal Shovel
- Best value: Snow Joe 24V 13-Inch Cordless Snow Shovel And Ice Dozer
- Best overall: Snow Joe SJ-SHLV01 Shovelution Strain-Reducing Snow Shovel
How To Choose The Best Best Buy Snow Shovels?
- Push shovels: These are designed for pushing snow out of the way as opposed to lifting and piling it up. They have wider, shorter blades that allow for “plowing” snow to the driveway edges or out onto the street.
- Scoop/Traditional: These traditional shovels with slightly curved blades make it easy to scoop and lift snow.
- Combination: These modern, best-of-both-worlds shovels have curved, deeper shovel blades, allowing you to both scoop and push large quantities of snow effectively.
Grip and Handle
We carefully examined the grip at the shovel’s end, as that tended to be the first thing that would begin to bother us during a long job. Ensure the handle feels sturdy and your hand can easily fit it. Most of the shovels we saw feature the “D-grip,” which is effective and popular, but there’s also the “T-grip.” That said, we preferred D-grips as they allowed for more control because they were easier to hold for long periods of time without straining our hands.
Material and size
Finally, we looked at the snow shovel’s material construction and physical size, as they both significantly impacted its usability. While larger shovels clear more snow from larger areas more quickly, they tend to be difficult to maneuver and heavier too. So, one has the choice of metal-edged and plastic polymer tools, so it depends on physical ability and preferences.
What is the most efficient snow shovel pattern?
The most efficient way is to shovel a straight line right down the middle and then push the snow away, going down the new path.
Is a metal snow shovel better or a plastic one?
While snow doesn’t stick to plastic, it’s less durable than metal. Also, cheaper plastic could break easily if it gets too cold.
Are curved snow shovels better?
Yes, as the bent-handle design lessens any force occurrences on the back by as much as 16.5%, along with significant reductions in backward and forward bending of the upper body.