Many regular travelers are quite familiar with just how tough travel can be on the skin if they don’t carry along their ‘beauty arsenal.’ From dry, scratchy skin to rash and allergies, the skin can take quite a beating if not hydrated properly. That’s one reason why travelers need to be sure to carry along the best moisturizer for travel, especially if they’re going to be exposed to harsh weather conditions.
Harsh weather conditions notwithstanding, even traveling on a plane can give you dry, itchy skin. Since the air inside the plane is constantly circulated, it becomes very dry. For this reason, flight attendants make sure to pack the best moisturizer for airplane travel along with the best travel accessories for long flights. However, when traveling, it’s very important that you not only moisturize your skin from the outside but also drink plenty of water to stay fresh and hydrated.
What To Look For In The Best Moisturizer For Travel?
Natural is always best
When choosing the best moisturizer for travel, it’s a good idea to look for one that is made from natural ingredients so that your skin does not break out. Ingredients such as sodium hyaluronate or hyaluronic acid are an added bonus as this helps to lock in the moisture.
If your moisturizer comes with a broad spectrum SPF 30 and above, so much the better. When traveling in sunny places one has to be more careful. It’s important that your skin receives extra protection from the sun to stay healthy.
Your skin type
When choosing a moisturizer it’s also very important to consider your skin type. Moisturizers that are non-comedogenic will ensure that your skin pores stay open. If you suffer from sensitive skin then you should look for a moisturizer that is labeled hypoallergenic. People with oily skin should avoid oil-based moisturizers, while those with extra dry skin should consider something richer.
CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion
Highly recommended by dermatologists and the Skin Cancer Foundation, CeraVe Facial Moisturizing Lotion is often regarded as the best moisturizer for travel. The reason why this moisturizer is so popular is that it keeps your skin hydrated throughout the day. Its unique formula comprising three essential ceramides also helps restore and maintain the natural protective skin barrier. Added to this, the broad spectrum SPF 30 protection helps you step out into the sun with confidence.
- Has three essential ceramides which aid in skin repair
- Non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores)
- Gentle non-irritating formula
- Recommended by The Skin Cancer Foundation
- Not good for sensitive skin as it can cause an allergy
- Tends to leave a white film if you apply too much
- Not recommended for using under makeup
Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion
One of the best day time moisturizers is Clinique Dramatically Different. It’s also one of the best moisturizers for airplane travel because it immediately provides optimal hydration that lasts throughout the day. It helps to strengthen the skin’s own moisture barrier so that moisture is retained to keep the skin feeling soft. Another great thing about this moisturizer is that it contains natural ingredients such as sunflower seed cake, barley extract, and cucumber fruit extract. It also has hyaluronic acid that acts as a natural moisture magnet.
- Made from natural ingredients
- Contains Hyaluronic acid that acts as a natural moisture magnet
- Provides optimal hydration to keep skin soft and radiant
- Helps strengthen skin’s natural barrier
- If the product is genuine then it cannot be faulted. However, one has to be careful of rip offs that can cause allergies.
Jergens Shea Butter Deep Conditioning Moisturizer
JERGENS Enriching Shea Butter Deep Conditioning Lotion is possibly the best moisturizer for airplane travel, especially if you suffer from dry skin. This moisturizer is great for dry, dull skin as it deeply conditions the skin to make it more radiant. It is also absorbed quickly into the skin without leaving a greasy feeling. The gentle fragrance of the moisturizer also pushes it to the top of the list of best moisturizers for travel.
- Deeply hydrating without feeling greasy
- Absorbed quickly by the skin
- Gentle fragrance
- Great for calloused feet
- If you’re not used to shea butter you may find it a little thick when applying for the first time
Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer
Infused with Argan oil, the Josie Maran Argan Daily Moisturizer is lightweight and non-greasy. It’s one of the best moisturizers for travel as it also protects from the sun with its chemical-free broad spectrum SPF 47 powered by zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Another stand out about this moisturizer is that it has a universal tint which makes the skin more radiant.
- Paraben and sulfate-free
- Chemical-free SPF 47
- Argan oil-infused for extra nourishment
- Universal tint adds radiance
- Can be used under regular makeup
- The tint of this moisturizer may not match all skin tones
EltaMD AM Therapy
Picking the best moisturizer for travel can sometimes be a bit confusing but with EltaMD AM Therapy you don’t have to worry. This moisturizer uses the skin’s natural water system to moisturize, leaving the skin smooth with an even color and tone. It has hyaluronic acid as a key ingredient that helps increase moisture absorption and retention. The moisturizer is also non-comedogenic which means that it will not clog pores. You can be sure that you won’t come out looking like you washed your face in grease as the moisturizer is oil-free.
- Stimulates the skin’s natural water system
- Safe for sensitive skin
- Heavily priced for such a small amount of cream
Ancient Greek Remedy Butter Cream
Containing seven natural raw ingredients such as Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Sweet Almond, Grapeseed, Sunflower, Organic Castor, Vitamin E, and Lavender Essential oil, Ancient Greek Remedy’s Butter Cream is another best moisturizer for airplane travel. Since it has an oil base, the moisturizing effect of this cream lasts much longer. The hydrating effect on dry skin and hands is soothing and effective. This cream can be used as a daily face and body moisturizer for all skin types and is great for both women and men.
Apart from the moisturizing properties of this cream, it also helps in reversing uneven skin tone, age spots, and crows feet. It works wonders on hair too by rejuvenating and thickening weak, thin, and brittle hair.
- Effective for all skin types
- Contains seven natural raw ingredients
- Paraben, GMO and Gluten-free
- Great hydrating and anti-aging properties
- Good as an organic hair styling cream
- Treats dry hands & cuticles
- Since it’s oil based it can feel quite greasy
Sunday Riley C.E.O. Vitamin C Rich Hydration Cream
A moisturizer that many flight attendants rank as the best moisturizer for airplane travel is Sunday Riley’s CEO Vitamin C Rich Hydration Cream. This deeply hydrating cream is infused with 5% Vitamin C in the form of THD Ascorbate, the gold standard of Vitamin C to make the skin more radiant. It’s also blended with caviar lime pearl extract and protective anti-pollution exopolysaccharides to gently hydrate and refine the skin surface. This rich cream is an antioxidant that leaves the skin looking softer and healthier without being greasy.
- Infused with THD Ascorbate that makes the skin glow
- Deep hydrating properties without being greasy
- Use only a small amount or your face may look too shiny
- Quite expensive
Nivea Soft Moisturizing Creme
Nivea has been around for years and is one of the more trusted brands where creams and moisturizers are concerned. It comes as no surprise then that Nivea Soft Moisturizing Creme is rated very highly as the best moisturizer for travel. The effects of this all-in-one cream are long-lasting. You can expect softer smoother skin without feeling greasy or oily. Enriched with Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E, this cream is one of the best moisturizers that you can use anytime.
- All-in-one cream that is hydrating and long-lasting
- Fast absorbing and non-greasy
- Enriched with Jojoba Oil and Vitamin E
- Has a fairly strong smell which many users may not like
Hempz Exotic Natural Herbal Body Moisturizer
Hempz Exotic Natural Herbal Body Moisturizer combines the benefits of acai berry and goji berry to revitalize, balance, and refresh your skin. Apart from these, the moisturizer also contains Vitamins A, C, E, and B5 which protect the skin from oxidants. Made from 100% natural hemp seed oil, the moisturizer is also free of parabens, gluten, and THC. Hemp seed oil helps lock in moisture and is also great for its anti-aging properties. The cream is scented with Green Tea and Pears which some people might find a little overpowering.
- Lightweight and non-greasy
- Made from 100% pure hemp seed oil that helps protect skin
- Contains Vitamins A, C, E and B5 which protects the skin from oxidants
- Paraben, Gluten, and THC-free
- Although the scent of green tea and pears is not overpowering, some users may not like it
Brickell Men’s Daily Essential Face Moisturizer
While almost all the best moisturizers for travel on our list can be used by both men and women, Brickell Men’s Daily Essential Face Moisturizer is exclusively for men. Packed with potent natural ingredients, this fast-absorbing oil-free moisturizer hydrates nourishes and renews the skin. A little goes a long way with this one so you’ll only need a dime-sized amount to hydrate your skin. The good part is that the moisturizer comes in a TSA compliant travel size bottle.
- Made from 100% natural ingredients such as aloe vera, jojoba oil, green tea, and hyaluronic acid
- Paraben, sulfate, glycol and gluten-free
- Fast absorbing
- Can feel a bit runny if too much is applied
Aveeno Positively Radiant
Clinically proven to even skin tone and texture in just four weeks, Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer is another must-carry moisturizer for travel. Besides the hydrating properties of this moisturizer, it also works as a good sunscreen as it includes broad-spectrum SPF 30.
In addition to this, natural light diffusers and Active Naturals Total Soy Complex helps even skin tone and texture. Discoloration and blotches are reduced to transform dull, uneven skin into something more radiant. Other than this, Aveeno is also oil-free and hypoallergenic.
- Improves skin tone and texture
- Reduces dark spots
- Makes skin more radiant
- Hypoallergenic and non-comedogenic
- Good sunscreen
- Can cause an allergic reaction in people with sensitive skin
Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion
With a blend of six moisturizers and essential Vitamin E and B5, the Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion packs in quite a punch. It’s no wonder that many rank this dermatologist-recommended lotion as the best moisturizer for travel.
Cetaphil is a lightweight moisturizing lotion that is quickly absorbed into the skin, leaving it hydrated for up to 24 hours. It’s non-greasy and helps restore the skin’s natural protective barrier. This gentle and non-irritating moisturizer is great for all skin types and can be used for the face and body.
- Contains a blend of six moisturizers and essential Vitamin E and B5
- Long-lasting hydration
- Lanolin and Fragrance-free
- Suited to all skin types
- Can feel greasy on some skin types
Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel
Sitting high up on the ratings of the best moisturizer for airplane travel is the Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel. Many air hostesses swear by this product too because of its great hydrating properties. Air travel tends to dry up the skin but the gel formula restores the skin’s natural barrier against loss of moisture to leave it looking smooth and radiant. The great thing is that the gel is absorbed quickly by the skin but keeps the skin moisturized like a cream. The hyaluronic acid present in the gel is a natural hydrator that attracts moisture and keeps it in. To get the best results from this moisturizer, it’s recommended to apply it onto wet skin, allow it to dry, and then back it up with a blocking moisturizer.
- Oil, Dye, and Fragrance-free
- Formulated with hyaluronic acid that locks moisture in
- Can be worn alone or under makeup
- Does not work well as a stand-alone moisturizer for certain skin tones