When you’re out of luck, your car battery might die suddenly. This is when you’ll need the best portable jump starter for cars! Unlike other traditional jumpers, a portable jump starter is designed to restart your car battery without the need for a second vehicle. There are so many options available on the market. The best ones are compact, easy to use, and durable. But with so many options on the market, which are the ones worth getting? To help you pick the best ones, we’ve selected some of the most reliable options on the market. All of them are flooded with positive reviews, so you don’t have to be skeptical about them! Without further ado, here are our picks!
Table of contents
- AVAPOW A28 Car Jump Starter
- DEWALT DXAEJ14 Jump Starter
- NOCO Boost Plus GB40 Jump Starter
- Clore Automotive JNC325 Jump Starter
- NEXPOW 2000A Car Jump Starter
- Scosche PowerUp 700 Portable Jump Starter
- Audewdirect Car Jump Starter
- Fanttik T8 APEX Jump Starter
- JF.EGWO Car Jump Starter with Air Compressor
- STANLEY J5C09 Portable Power Station Jump Starter
- Schumacher DSR115 Pro Jump Starter
- Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 Jump Starter
- NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 AMP Jump Starter
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Portable Jump Starters for Cars
- Do portable car jump starters work?
- How many watts are needed to jump-start a car?
- Which is better, battery charger or a jump starter?
AVAPOW A28 Car Jump Starter
With over 3,000 reviews on Amazon and a tempting price tag, it’s not surprising that many people find AVAPOW A28 Car Jump Starter the best portable jump starter for cars. With 3000 peak Amps, this is ideal for 8.0 L Diesel cars. And once fully charged, it can be used to jump-start your car up to 50 times. Additionally, this jump starter is super safe to use. The cable is spark-proof. In addition, there’s also a flashing light that notifies you of a problem with the clamp. Best of all, its dustproof and shock-resistant design allows it to last for years!
- It’s an affordable option that has a lot to offer.
- There are plenty of smart features for extra safety.
- It also doubles as a power bank.
- The USB-C port is only for the jump starter.
DEWALT DXAEJ14 Jump Starter
Though it’s not the smallest option, the DEWALT DXAEJ14 Jump Starter is surprisingly lightweight. It is the best portable jump starter for cars and has plenty more to offer! With a starting power of 1400 peak Amps, it can jump-start your vehicle safely and effortlessly. Additionally, this jump starter also comes with a built-in USB port. We find this super useful, especially if your phone’s battery life isn’t the best. Better yet, the reverse polarity protection can help you connect the jumper cables correctly. While it’s not the cheapest option, we’re sure you won’t regret investing in it!
- This jump starter has an alternator check that can detect voltage problems.
- We love the addition of the small LCD screen.
- It’s backed by a limited one-year warranty.
- It beeps too often. Some people find it annoying!
NOCO Boost Plus GB40 Jump Starter
When choosing the best portable jump starter for cars, you should consider its portability. That’s why we want to recommend the NOCO Boost Plus GB40 Jump Starter. Weighing just 2.4 lbs, it’s extremely lightweight. Plus, it’s so small that you might easily miss it even though it’s in your car! For its size, we think it has decent power. Once you activate the override function, it can jump-start your car instantly. On top of that, this jump starter also comes with a soft carrying bag that’s surprisingly durable. While it’s far from perfect, we think it’s a nice choice for those short on space.
- One of the most compact options on the market.
- Super easy to use, even for first-timers.
- It’s relatively affordable.
- The clamps are hard to squeeze.
Clore Automotive JNC325 Jump Starter
Say hello to the first Clore Automotive jump starter on this list. What we have here is the Clore Automotive JNC325 Jump Starter. It’s a great all-rounder that won’t disappoint. One of its biggest highlights is its ease of use. After all, it comes with only two buttons: power and override! In addition to that, we love the included carrying case! You can use it to keep the cables and charging cords, too. Furthermore, we find it compact enough to be stored in the trunk. Oh, and weighing just 2.64 lbs, it’s also one of the most lightweight options on the market.
- The cables are long enough and extremely durable.
- One of the most compact and lightweight options.
- A great all-rounder that won’t disappoint.
- A bit pricey compared to others.
NEXPOW 2000A Car Jump Starter
Best Budget. While other jump starters cost you hundreds of dollars, the NEXPOW 2000A Car Jump Starter costs you less than that! It’s not as cheap as portable car heaters but more affordable than many other jump starters. Yes, it’s not the most powerful or durable item on this list, but considering what it offers and its price tag, it sure deserves an award as the best budget option! One of the things that we love about this jump starter is the fact that it comes complete with a durable carrying case. While it’s not a must, we think having a reliable case to protect this item is important. In addition to that, it also has USB ports to charge your phone and tablet when you’re on the go.
- With several USB ports, it can be used to charge your phone.
- This item comes with a built-in LED flashlight.
- The included carrying case is sturdy.
- It feels a little less robust than other more expensive options.
Scosche PowerUp 700 Portable Jump Starter
Most Compact. As you can see from the picture below, the Scosche PowerUp 700 Portable Jump Starter is super small! You can even throw it inside your backpack thanks to its compact size. And if you don’t think you have to jump-start your vehicle dozens of times, we think there’s no better option than this one. With a power of 700 Amps, it’s powerful enough for its size. In addition to that, it has a spark-free system that can protect you from the potential dangers of jump-starting your car. Better yet, it comes with lights that help indicate how much battery is left! Looking for more reviews about this item? Check out Quadratec’s YouTube review!
- It’s one of the smallest options on the market.
- You can easily charge this jump starter using a USB.
- We love how it comes with a rugged carrying case.
- The cables are on the shorter side.
Audewdirect Car Jump Starter
You don’t always have to spend hundreds of dollars on the best portable jump starter for cars. Just take a look at the Audewdirect Car Jump Starter! This moderately-priced jump starter is everything you wish you have. With a 2000 peak Amp, it can jump-start a 12V car easily. Additionally, it’s also small enough to be stored inside your pocket! Apart from that, this product also boasts a small LCD display that shows the remaining power percentage. Not to mention, we love how versatile this jump starter is! When you’re not using it as a jump starter, you can use it to recharge your smartphone so you can have something to keep you company!
- This jump starter is backed by a 12-month manufacturer warranty.
- The ABS casing is extremely durable.
- It’s a versatile item that’s also compact enough to be stored in your pocket.
- You have to keep recharging it every 30 days.
Fanttik T8 APEX Jump Starter
The Fanttik T8 APEX Jump Starter has to be one of the most modern and aesthetically-pleasing jump starters on the market. Like many other options with a similar price range, this compact jump starter is rated at 2000 Amps. But what sets it apart from the rest is the fact that it comes with a well-designed case for better storage! That’s not all! The cables are also thick and more durable, which is always a big plus for everyone. Need to charge your smartphone? Sure, this jump starter can help you with that. Heck, it can even be used to charge your laptop! What can’t this jump starter do?
- Your purchase also includes a durable carrying case.
- The jumper cables are thick and durable.
- It can be used to charge laptops, too!
- Some people think it’s a bit expensive.
JF.EGWO Car Jump Starter with Air Compressor
If what you need is the best portable jump starter for cars with tons of power, look no further than the JF.EGWO Car Jump Starter with Air Compressor! With an impressive 6000 peak Amp, this is the perfect option for jumping large batteries. Plus, it can be used as an air compressor as well. Another thing that we love is how lightweight this jump starter is. It weighs just 3.4 lbs! And like many other options on the market, this jump starter is multi-function. You can also use it as a power bank and flashlight. What’s not to like about this product?
- This item comes with a sturdy carrying case.
- As the name suggests, it can also be used as an air compressor.
- We love how compact and lightweight it is.
- Unfortunately, there’s no overcharge protection.
STANLEY J5C09 Portable Power Station Jump Starter
Best for Big Cars. Unlike many other jump starters, the STANLEY J5C09 Portable Power Station Jump Starter is far from being compact. At 18 lbs, it’s one of the bulkiest options on the market. Thankfully, it’s still portable enough for many people. The reason behind its weight is that this jump starter also doubles as an air compressor! Moreover, this product offers impressive jump-starting power. With 100- peak Amps, it can jump-start your car or truck in mere seconds. Built with safety in mind, we also love how this product is spark-proof. Yes, this jump starter is a little bit expensive. But with everything it brings to the table, it’s sure worth getting.
- One of its biggest selling points is that it comes with a built-in air compressor.
- It offers amazingly high peak and starting Amps.
- There’s an LED light that you can use to light up the car.
- Some people think the jumper cables are short.
Schumacher DSR115 Pro Jump Starter
Living up to its name, the Schumacher DSR115 Pro Jump Starter is truly a pro! For one, this is such a versatile product. Aside from jump-starting your precious car, it can also be used to jump-start a truck, boat, van, bus, and everything else that’s wingless. No wonder many people see it as the best portable jump starter for cars! The short cable is one of the most annoying problems you’ll find when using a jump starter. Lucky for you, the cable of this jump starter is 5 feet long! And to make sure it can last for years to come, it comes complete with a rustproof case so you can keep it safe when not used. For the full specs, check out its official website!
- This jump starter is truly versatile.
- It also features a simple digital display and easy to use on/off switch.
- It has a high peak Amp.
- Weighing more than 40 lbs, it’s super heavy.
Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 Jump Starter
You can’t talk about the best portable jump starter for cars without mentioning the Clore Automotive Jump-N-Carry JNC660 Jump Starter! This is a compact jump-starter that’s super easy to use. Thanks to its handle, you can carry it around conveniently. It even comes with a meter that shows its power! Furthermore, this is one of the few jump-starters on the market that lets you change the battery once it’s starting to wear down. Additionally, we appreciate how long the cable is. The 46-inch cable is long enough to reach most cars’ starting points. Pretty amazing, isn’t it?
- Everyone can replace the battery easily.
- Unlike many other options, its cable is long!
- It features an automatic built-in charger.
- Unlike other versatile options, it doesn’t have USB ports for your devices and can’t be used as a flashlight.
NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 AMP Jump Starter
Best Overall. Those looking for the best portable jump starter for cars will never be disappointed by NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 AMP Jump Starter. Though small, this item is nothing you should underestimate. This compact and powerful jump starter provides up to 40 jump starts once fully charged. Not to mention, it’s extremely easy and safe to use. Apart from being a jump starter, this product also doubles as a phone charger and an LED flashlight, as it comes with a built-in light that allows you to find your belongings in the car when it’s super dark. While it’s more expensive than some of its competitors, you won’t regret spending your money on something this good. For a more in-depth review, check out this video by HumbleMechanic!
- It’s compact but powerful and can be used for up to 40 jump starts.
- This item also doubles as a flashlight and power bank.
- It’s also available in a 3000A variant.
- It’s a bit slow when charging your phone.
When there’s no other driver around, the best portable jump starter for cars will be your life savior! However, since all of our picks above have different things to offer, you may have a hard time deciding which suits you better. Thus, we’ve made a small summary that shows you the best products based on the following categories:
- Best Overall: NOCO Boost HD GB70 2000 AMP Jump Starter
- Best for Big Cars: STANLEY J5C09 Portable Power Station Jump Starter
- Most Compact: Scosche PowerUp 700 Portable Jump Starter
- Best Budget: NEXPOW 2000A Car Jump Starter
How To Choose The Best Portable Jump Starters for Cars
Knowing which best portable jump starter for cars to get can be a hassle. So, you should consider the following features before deciding which one to get!
So, what is the power output? It’s how much current (Amp) your jump starter supplies. That said, the best portable jump starter for cars should have enough power so it can restart your car’s battery safely.
In addition to that, your jump starter should also match your car battery’s voltage. Normally, cars have a 12V battery. But if you have a larger vehicle like a truck, the battery may be 24V.
Another thing to consider is the size of the jump starter. There are so many options out there. Some weigh 2 lbs, and others can weigh over 20 lbs. So, if you don’t have much room in your car, you should get a smaller option. But you should get a bigger jump starter if you have a big, heavy-duty vehicle.
Do portable car jump starters work?
Of course! Using them according to the proper directions is safe and can be super useful when your car battery is dead.
How many watts are needed to jump-start a car?
It depends on the vehicle. However, most commercial cars require around 1500 up to 2000 Amps.
Which is better, battery charger or a jump starter?
Personally, we recommend jumping starters. That’s because they can charge your car faster. Plus, the options above can double as a flashlight and power bank!