Are you going for a camping trip or backpacking soon? Getting clear, consumable water can be hard if that’s the case. That’s why you’ll need the best portable water purifiers. That way, you can hydrate yourself without risking your health. Portable water purifiers are also great for travelers who are going somewhere with poor water quality. Though plenty of bottled water may be sold, many of them can be just repackaged tap water! You’ll never regret investing in a portable water purifier, as it can do you more good than harm. But the question is: which one should you get? There are plenty of options on the market with different shapes and systems. To help you out, we’ve handpicked some of the most trusted options on the internet. Keep scrolling to find out more about them!
Table of contents
- PuriBag Water Purifier
- CaredWater Electric Portable Water Purifier
- SteriPen Classic 3 UV Water Purifier
- SteriPen Ultralight UV Water Purifier
- BKLES Portable Water Purifier
- Purewell Water Purifier
- GRAYL GeoPress Water Purifier Bottle
- SteriPen Adventurer Opti UV Water Purifier
- LIFESAVER 4000UF
- LifeStraw Mission Gravity-Fed Water Purifier
- GRAYL UltraPress Water Purifier
- SteriPEN Ultra UV Water Purifier
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Portable Water Purifiers
- Are portable water filters any good?
- Is a water purifier good for drinking?
- Is a water purifier better than boiling water?
PuriBag Water Purifier
Kicking off this list is the PuriBag Water Purifier. Portable and lightweight, this family-sized item comes with a carry handle, which allows you to carry it around conveniently. Weighing only 0.5 lbs, it’s also among the most lightweight option! Hence, we think it’s perfect for backpacking, travel, and other outdoor activities. This collapsible purifier is simply amazing. It can deliver 10 L of purified water in mere 30 minutes! Plus, the built-in carbon filter won’t taste the water weirdly. Using it is also easy. Just fill the pouch with the water you want to purify, add a packet of P&G, and close the bag! Then, all you have to do is wait for 25 minutes for the debris to go down.
- It’s one of the most lightweight water purifiers on the market.
- It’s great for outdoor activities.
- This product can give you 10 L of purified water in just 30 minutes.
- Some people think the carbon filter is too small.
CaredWater Electric Portable Water Purifier
If you want a hassle-free experience, look no further than the CaredWater Electric Portable Water Purifier! This item is really, really easy to use. Just press the On/Off button, and this item will automatically purify your water so you can free your hands and do whatever you want (or nothing at all)!
In addition to that, we love that this item purifies the water through five different stages! Compact and lightweight, it’s perfect for many outdoor activities like hiking, fishing, camping, or even traveling. Plus, it’s covered by a lifetime warranty!
- This water purifier can be used for many occasions.
- You don’t have to operate this item to purify the water manually.
- It’s cheaper than many of its competitors.
- The filter has a plastic smell when first unboxed.
SteriPen Classic 3 UV Water Purifier
Say hello to the first SteriPen product on this list! What we have here is the SteriPen Classic 3 UV Water Purifier. As one of the best portable water purifiers, this battery-powered water purifier can be used to kill viruses and bacteria up to 150 L on a set of AA batteries. Plus, it can purify half a liter of water in less than a minute! Moreover, this item is a piece of cake to use. Once the lamp is placed in the water, it’ll activate. Then, all you have to do is to stir the water until the light is off. Super easy, right? On top of that, this item is reusable to purify up to 8,000 L of water!
- Extremely compact and easy to use.
- It can purify up to 8,000 L of water.
- Since it’s compact, it can fit most water bottles and glasses.
- Some people prefer a water purifier that’s USB rechargeable.
SteriPen Ultralight UV Water Purifier
Most Compact. You’re looking at the SteriPen Ultralight UV Water Purifier, the lightest and most compact model of SteriPen. If you want to travel extra light, this is the perfect option. And because of its size, it’s designed to treat no more than 1 L of water per application, which is around 90 seconds. Light as a feather, this water purifier is super easy to use, just like its siblings. Not to mention, it comes with a battery that is installed permanently! All you need to do when it’s running out of battery is to recharge it using a USB cable. Once fully recharged, it’s ready to kill up to 99.9% of bacteria!
- It’s extremely compact and lightweight.
- This small water purifier can purify water in just 90 seconds.
- Like other SteriPen products, it’s easy to use.
- It might be too small for some people.
BKLES Portable Water Purifier
The BKLES Portable Water Purifier is one of the most underrated water purifiers on Amazon. Weighing only 0.77 lbs, it’s one of the lightest options on the market. In addition to that, it’s incredibly compact and can be stored in the included storage bag! So convenient, isn’t it? In addition to that, this water purifier can pour out 700 ml of water per minute, which is a lot! And when fully charged, it can purify up to 168,000 ml of water! That’s enough for weeks of backpacking! So, if you plan to have a long camping or backpacking adventure with your friends, bring this item!
- Though underrated, it has plenty of amazing features.
- It’s easy to install and use.
- This is the perfect product for long trips.
- It can be overkill for those who are camping for only a day or two.
Purewell Water Purifier
If you’re not into purifying bottles, then you should take a look at the Purewell Water Purifier! Its compact size and high flow rate make it one of the best portable water purifiers available on the market. It also comes with an anti-skid bottom, ensuring that it won’t fall or topple off when used. What’s more, this water purifier does an incredible job of eliminating the bacteria and contaminants in your water. Better yet, it comes with a four-stage filtration system, ensuring the water you’re drinking won’t cause you harm. Best of all, it’s backed by a 24-month replacement warranty!
- It comes with replaceable carbon filters.
- The rubber bottom allows this water purifier to stand still.
- It’s more affordable than purifying bottles.
- Though cheaper, it may not be as effortless to use as purifying bottles.
GRAYL GeoPress Water Purifier Bottle
The GRAYL GeoPress Water Purifier Bottle is one of the best portable water purifiers that provides simplicity for adventurers. Like its sibling (we’ll get to that soon), it’s a breeze to use. Just fill it up with water, press the button on the lid, and wait for 15 to 30 seconds, and you’ll have virus-free water!
GRAYL sure did a great job at designing this water bottle. It’s designed so that it can fit your backpack‘s side pockets. If your backpack doesn’t have one, it’s time to get a crossbody travel bag with a water bottle holder! Compact and lightweight, no wonder it’s extremely popular! Better yet, you can also keep this bottle in your car’s cup holder.
- The filtration process is extremely quick.
- It can remove up to 99.9% of viruses.
- Simple to use, it’s the perfect companion for hikers, campers, and backpackers.
- It can’t purify salt water.
SteriPen Adventurer Opti UV Water Purifier
Compact and reliable, the SteriPen Adventurer Opti UV Water Purifier is another highly recommended option for those searching for the best portable water purifiers. Designed for outdoor use, this small but mighty item is reusable for up to 8,000 L, meaning its longevity is among the best. In addition to that, it’s super easy to use! As the name suggests, you can use this water purifier like a pen! All you have to do is place it into your bottle or glass and click the button. Then, stir the pen, and the light will blink once the purification process is done! The result is drinkable water that’s 99,9% free of viruses, bacteria, and cysts.
- It’s one of the most compact and lightweight options on the market.
- This water purifier is super simple to use.
- It comes with two disposable batteries, so you don’t have to get them separately.
- Since it’s small, you have to be extra careful not to lose it.
The LIFESAVER 4000UF, for lack of better words, is literally a lifesaver! One of the biggest selling points of this product is its ease of use. Simply unscrew the bottom of the bottle, scoop the water, reattach it, and pull out the pump! Then, you can pump a few times and pop the bottle’s top part. After that, the water will start to flow out!
As one of the best portable water purifiers, its purification technology can protect you from bacteria, viruses, and cysts. As the name suggests, it can filter up to 4,000 liters of water. But aside from that, it can hold a good amount of 750 ml of water at a time! This makes it a good option to keep you hydrated when you’re camping and traveling.
- It’s super easy to use, even for those who have never used it before.
- This bottle can filter up to 4,000 liters of water.
- It’s a multipurpose item that can be used for many occasions.
- It’s a bit too heavy for some.
LifeStraw Mission Gravity-Fed Water Purifier
Best Gravity Bag. If you’re going to camp or travel with your friends, you may want to get a gravity purifier. That said, the LifeStraw Mission Gravity-Fed Water Purifier is a nice option. This product is capable of removing almost 100% of microorganisms found in the water. Once purified, you can hydrate yourself without worrying about having a stomachache alter.
In addition to that, this water purifier comes with a useful double clip and strap that let you hang the purifier from many places. Simply hang it and let gravity do the rest! Moreover, we love how quick the flow rate is! According to the product page, it can pour up to 12 L of water per hour. Pretty cool, isn’t it?
- This is one of the best portable water purifiers for outdoor adventures.
- It’s the perfect option for large groups.
- It has a higher flow rate compared to other similar models.
- Since this is plastic, the purified water has a slight plastic taste.
GRAYL UltraPress Water Purifier
As one of the best portable water purifiers, we like many things about the GRAYL UltraPress Water Purifier. Living up to its name, this water purifier bottle works like a coffee press. Once you’re done filling the bottom of the bottle with water, attach the top and just press down! After about 30 seconds, you’ll have around 500 ml of clean water! Even Dirtbag Dreams also loves this bottle!
An easy-to-use and stylish bottle, this water purifier can effectively everything, including viruses in the water. In addition to that, we’re huge fans of the design! It looks like regular water bottles but cooler! This sleek bottle is available in several shades, but our favorite is Covert Black. We think it’s the most versatile option.
- It can remove up to 99.9% of viruses found in water.
- This bottle can purify water effortlessly in less than a minute.
- It can be used for many occasions.
- The capacity of this bottle is lower than some of its competitors.
Best Bottle Purifier. The CrazyCap is quite literally a crazy water purifier! Unlike some of the best portable water purifiers on the market, this one comes in the form of a stylish water bottle. It’s available in multiple stunning colorways, though our favorite has to be the Classic Blue. Despite its design, it can effectively purify your water.
This water purifier is powered by UV, meaning it’s capable of killing the bacteria and viruses in the water. If you’re wondering, the UV lamp can be found in the cap. The best part is that the cap comes with a universal screw top, so you can separately buy the cap if you already have a favorite and well-functioning water bottle for backpacking.
- The stainless steel bottle can keep your drink cold for up to 24 hours and hot for 12 hours.
- It’s not only stylish but also easy to use.
- This portable water purifier is backed by a 10-year limited lifetime warranty.
- The bottle is a little bit heavy.
SteriPEN Ultra UV Water Purifier
Best Value for Money. Say hi to SteriPEN Ultra UV Water Purifier, arguably the most popular portable water purifier on the market today. Like its other siblings, this model uses a UV lamp to eliminate dangerous bacteria and bugs. And just like other best portable water purifiers, using it is a breeze. All you have to do is dunk the lamp into your bottle. Then, stir it for a minute, and you’re good to drink your water!
In addition to that, people also love its battery life. When fully charged, it can be used up to 50 times. Not to mention, there’s an OLED display that shows the battery status, lamp, and treatment. Weighing a mere 0.3 lbs, this portable and lightweight water purifier is definitely a must-have for adventurers! For more details about this product, check out this detailed review!
- It’s a small and lightweight water purifier that does its job well.
- Arguably the most popular water purifier on the market.
- Amazing battery life.
- Some people think it can be even smaller.
Thanks to the water purifiers above, no matter where you go, you’ll never have to worry about consumable water anymore! Just use one of these products and hydrate yourself! However, we understand that not all of them are for you. So, we’ve categorized some of them according to the following criteria:
- Best Value for Money: SteriPEN Ultra UV Water Purifier
- Best Bottle Purifier: CrazyCap
- Best Gravity Bag: LifeStraw Mission Gravity-Fed Water Purifier
- Most Compact: SteriPen Ultralight UV Water Purifier
How To Choose The Best Portable Water Purifiers
The best portable water purifiers can make your travel or adventure more convenient. And to make sure you won’t regret your purchase, here are some things you must consider!
Most models use carbon filters to remove bacteria and heavy metals. In addition to that, activated carbon can also improve the taste of the water. Some models also use electro-adsorption, which separates the unwanted particles from the water based on charge.
This indicates the smallest particle that can get through the purifying system. If your water purifier has a pore size of 0.1 microns, this means only particles smaller than 0.1 microns can pass through. The best portable water purifiers should have a 0.1-micron filter at least.
Types of water purifiers
Normally, you’ll find three types of portable water purifiers. They include filtration pumps, water bottles, and gravity bags. Choose the one that suits your preferences and style more.
Are portable water filters any good?
Of course! Having the best portable water purifiers will allow you to drink from freshwater sources without all of the risks.
Is a water purifier good for drinking?
Again, the answer is a big fat yes! The best portable water purifiers can purify up to 99% of harmful organisms in your water, making it clear and consumable.
Is a water purifier better than boiling water?
According to HealthShots, purified water is preferable as it has been purified from microorganisms and chemicals. It’s also been purified to be pathogen-free.