Compared to regular cars, SUVs are better in some ways. Aside from arguably looking better, it also has more charge space and is more family-friendly. However, one of their biggest disadvantages is that they don’t handle thick snow and ice that well, especially in winter. That’s why, as an SUV owner, you should invest in the best winter tires for an SUV. With them, you’ll be able to drive safely and maintain your vehicle’s performance despite the weather condition. However, choosing the right tire is harder than it looks. Therefore, we’ve picked some of the best options for you! Below are some of the best SUV tires for winter that are worth considering!
Table of contents
- Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 Tire
- Toyo Observe GSi-6 HP Tire
- Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR Tire
- Nokian WR G4 SUV Tire
- Michelin Cross Climate SUV Tire
- Cooper Evolution Winter Tire
- Pirelli Scorpion Winter Tire
- Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 Winter Tire
- Continental VikingContact 7
- General Altimax Arctic 12 Studdable Winter Tire
- Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
- Michelin X-Ice Snow Car Tire
- Bridgestone Blizzak WS90
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Winter Tires for an SUV
- How much are winter tires for an SUV?
- What are the best tires to buy for SUVs?
- How long do SUV tires last?
Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 Tire
The first tire on this list is the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R5 Tire, which is a nice option when the weather decides to go extreme. What we love the most about this tire is its performance on dry and wet pavements. It offers you more controlled braking, which is great if you have to brake suddenly.
This tire is also ridiculously grippy, featuring the brand’s beloved Arctic Grip Crystals. It’s a technology that allows the tire to have more grip even without studs. Also, the reinforced sidewalls are designed to take beatings! Oh, have we mentioned how quiet this tire is?
- The grip of this tire is easily one of its main highlights.
- It’s more eco-friendly than many of its competitors.
- It’s designed to last a long time.
- Some people think it’s pricey. It’s not shocking when you consider what it brings to the table.
Toyo Observe GSi-6 HP Tire
With a shopping 121 size options, the Toyo Observe GSi-6 HP Tire is impressive! Considered one of the best SUV tires for winter, this tire offers amazing performance on wet, snowy, as well as icy surfaces. As if that’s not enough, this tire is also significantly quieter and smoother than its previous iteration.
Named one of the best winter tires for an SUV, this tire is also durable. It can easily last for one or two extra winters if taken care of properly. Topped with its reasonable price tag, ignoring this amazing tire is a huge mistake.
- The tire’s braking performance on icy roads is incredible.
- The aggressive tread makes this tire suitable for deep snow.
- Its durability is among the best.
- Some people still wish it were a bit quieter.
Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR Tire
If you own a small SUV, you won’t regret getting the Pirelli Winter Ice Zero FR Tire! With this tire, you’ll be able to drive with an unmatched level of stability and control. In addition to that, you’ll also be able to drive comfortably when the weather goes extreme.
Like many other best winter tires for an SUV, this tire comes with a directional tread pattern that’s extremely good. It never fails to give you enough grip whether you’re on a dry or wet surface. Additionally, it’s not that expensive! With everything it offers, there’s no reason not to get this tire.
- The longevity of this tire is impressive.
- Its stability and control are simply amazing.
- It holds extremely well in wet and snowy conditions.
- We have to admit, though, that it can get a bit noisy.
Nokian WR G4 SUV Tire
You’ll want to have the Nokian WR G4 SUV Tire for dry winters! It’s a highly recommended option, especially if you live in a place with little precipitation. Thanks to this versatile tire, you’ll have a reliable friend that can always offer you sufficient winter grip.
Another reason why this is one of the best SUV tires for winter is that it’s extremely comfortable to use. Apart from being quiet, it also performs well in snowy conditions. That’s not all! This tire is suitable for other seasons as well. While it may not be the cheapest option, it is one of the most versatile!
- You’ll be able to drive comfortably since it’s not noisy.
- It’s a good option for both cold and dry winters.
- This versatile tire can also be used for other seasons.
- The tread pattern is less aggressive than some of its competitors.
Michelin Cross Climate SUV Tire
Let us warn you; this is an all-season tire. Despite that, the Michelin Cross Climate SUV Tire is still a nice option for snow! While it’s not the best option for deep snow or heavy winter conditions, it performs surprisingly well when the weather is just nice. The braking performance in light snow is amazing and safe.
Furthermore, we love how durable the tire is. Since this is an all-season tire, you can keep using it again and again. And despite being used often, it can easily last for years to come. Such a good investment, isn’t it? By the way, do you know that Michelin also makes some of the best winter tires for trucks?
- It performs surprisingly well in light snow.
- This tire can be used in all seasons.
- It helps you save you money on fuel as well.
- It’s not the best option for heavy snow.
Cooper Evolution Winter Tire
Traction? Check! Stability? Check! The Cooper Evolution Winter Tire is truly one of the best SUV tires for winter! It’s no secret that driving in winter can be pretty challenging for some. That’s why this tire comes complete with pinholes, offering you a better grip on the road. We also love how the layered rubber compound keeps your SUV from slipping.
Ice and snow will eventually melt into water, so you should also be prepared for that. That said, this tire comes with deep grooves, allowing it to be waterproof. Moreover, it’s almost noiseless, no matter the terrain. What’s not to like about this tire? Speaking of which, have you read our list of the best Cooper tires on TireRack?
- Its performance is worth two thumbs up regardless of the terrain.
- This tire effortlessly provides high traction and amazing braking performance.
- With deep grooves, this tire is waterproof.
- It’s a shame that this tire isn’t backed by any warranty program.
Pirelli Scorpion Winter Tire
If you’re someone who cares a lot about fuel consumption, we have the right tire for you! Introducing you to the Pirelli Scorpion Winter Tire! This winter tire for cars comes with an Ecoimpact-certified compound, which allows you to use less fuel. Aside from that, it also offers better traction and allows the tire to be lightweight.
Aside from that, many are also impressed by its performance in a wide variety of terrains. Even when it’s raining hard, and you’re driving faster than the speed of light, this tire will make sure you can arrive at your destination safely. Don’t worry, as it won’t make a lot of noise!
- The hydroplaning resistance of this tire is among the best.
- It offers amazing performance on all terrains.
- The durability of this tire is top-notch.
- Its performance when cornering on ice can be improved.
Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 Winter Tire
Don’t let the harsh winter stop your love for performance driving! With the Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 Winter Tire, everything is possible! One of the biggest highlights of this tire is its unbeatable performance in all conditions. It performs amazingly on wet and dry surfaces and just as well in snowy and icy conditions.
Named one of the best winter tires for an SUV, you can rest assured that its snow traction is great as well! What’s more, the ride is pretty smooth, and it’s not noisy at all! Last but not least, a 30,000-mile treadwear warranty backs this tire!
- It’s one of the most responsive winter tires available.
- We love how reasonably quiet this tire is!
- Despite its amazing tire life, it’s still backed by a warranty.
- This tire might be too expensive for some people.
Continental VikingContact 7
Best for Quiet Rides. Noisy rides are annoying. If you want to ride comfortably, you should consider the Continental VikingContact 7! This affordable yet amazing tire has minimal noise, even when you’re on the highway, which is always a huge plus. With this tire, you’ll never want to stop driving on those smooth roads!
In addition to that, this winter tire also performs exceptionally well in snowy conditions. Not to mention, its build quality is nothing to mess with. Since it’s built with premium materials, you can rest assured it can last a long time and withstand even the harshest winter! Need more reviews on this tire? Check out Driving Press’ review!
- The traction and grip offered by this tire are top-notch.
- This has to be one of the comfiest tires ever with minimal noise.
- Thanks to its build quality, it can last for a long time.
- It’s worth noting that this tire can still make some collision noise.
General Altimax Arctic 12 Studdable Winter Tire
Best Studdable. While there are so many best winter tires for an SUV on the market, not all of them are quite versatile. That’s why we want to introduce you to the General Altimax Arctic 12 Studdable Winter Tire. With this tire, you’ll have to chance to either use the studs or not! It’s all up to you! But for unmatched traction on ice surfaces, we highly recommend using them.
However, you should note that once you add the studs, they’ll be there for a lifetime! In addition to that, we also love how affordable this tire is! Don’t worry; despite being budget-friendly, it’s more than capable of performing just as well as the more expensive models. For more information, check out the official product page!
- This tire is one of the most budget-friendly options on the market.
- With the studs, this tire offers unmatched traction.
- Despite its affordable price, it still performs just as well as others.
- You should know that this tire can get noisy, especially on the highway.
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
Best Studless. Who says studless tires can’t offer enough traction in winter? The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 is proof! As one of the best winter tires for an SUV, it comes with zigzag sipes that allow the tire to effortlessly dig into the snow, giving you that much-needed traction. Together with the bite particles, you’ll be able to conquer any terrain easily!
The hydroplaning resistance of this tire is nothing short of amazing. Thanks to its wide grooves, water will always be kept away. Better yet, if you compare this tire to some of the best SUV tires for winter on the market, this one is relatively more affordable. No wonder it’s so popular!
- You’ll be happy to know that this tire is backed by a limited warranty.
- It allows you to accelerate easily on icy surfaces.
- It has a short braking distance, even when the roads are wet.
- Unfortunately, this tire can get pretty noisy.
Michelin X-Ice Snow Car Tire
Who doesn’t love the Michelin X-Ice Snow Car Tire? As one of the most sought-after winter tires, this tire is a monster. This tire is named one of the best winter tires for an SUV because of its performance. Yes. it’s specifically designed to conquer the most extreme winter conditions. Whether it’s slippery or snowy roads, this tire can conquer everything.
The durability of this tire is equally amazing. It can last for an extra winter or two, so there’s no need to get a new one every single year. Not to mention, it’s really quiet, allowing you to enjoy your ride to the max. Also, with your satisfaction in mind, this tire is backed by a 40,000-mile warranty. Check out Steve Hammes’ review to know this tire a little bit better!
- This comfy tire isn’t noisy at all, making it one of the most popular options.
- It’s backed by an amazing tire warranty.
- Even on wet surfaces, the braking performance of this tire is worth praising.
- Though impressive, the price tag of this tire might shock some people.
Bridgestone Blizzak WS90
Best Overall. Topping our list of the best winter tires for an SUV is the Bridgestone Blizzak WS90. High-quality SUVs need high-quality tires, and this tire is one of them. Thanks to this tire, you’ll be able to drive your SUV with total confidence. It gives you an amazing steering feel, and its traction on wet and snowy surfaces is excellent.
Additionally, we’re also fans of how durable this item is. With a zig-zag tread pattern, it performs incredibly well in icy conditions despite being studless. Not to mention, the rubber of this tire is more porous than some of the best SUV tires for winter out there. It allows the tire to resist moisture, thus preventing hydroplaning.
- As one of the most durable options, this tire can easily last an extra winter.
- If you live in a place where the weather is milder, this can be a great option, too.
- The short stopping distance allows you to drive more safely.
- We’re not complaining about the traction, but we think some options on the market are more aggressive.
The tires above are special in their own way. Some perform well with studs, and others are a monster without them. Some are also surprisingly affordable. However, no tire suits everyone. That’s why we’ve picked some of the standouts based on the following categories!
- Best Overall: Bridgestone Blizzak WS90
- Best Studless: Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2
- Best Studdable: General Altimax Arctic 12 Studdable Winter Tire
- Best for Quiet Rides: Continental VikingContact 7
How To Choose The Best Winter Tires for an SUV
When choosing the best winter tires for an SUV, there are some important things to consider, which include:
The grip is perhaps one of the most important considerations. The best winter tires for an SUV should provide you with enough traction in winter. The more traction they have, the better it is.
Studded vs. Studless
As you can see from our list above, there are studded and studless tires. Studded tires are better for snowy conditions, as they offer more traction. However, they have the potential to damage the roadways. On the other hand, studless tires are generally more versatile. They have sharper edges and more flexible materials.
Tires made out of natural rubber normally have a better grip on the road. But it’s worth noting that they might not be the most durable. Meanwhile, synthetic rubber allows your tire to perform well, no matter the terrain and weather conditions. But if durability is your main concern, you might want to get a silicon tire.
How much are winter tires for an SUV?
It all depends on what kind of tire you’re getting. However, normally, people will spend around 800 USD to 1,200 USD for a set of four tires.
What are the best tires to buy for SUVs?
Tires from Bridgestone, Pirelli, Cooper, and other big brands are highly recommended. If you want to skip the hassle, just pick one from our list above!
How long do SUV tires last?
It depends on the weather, air pressure, your driving habits, and many other factors. However, according to Tyre Power, they typically should be replaced at least every 10 years.