Fairmont is a small city in Minnesota that was so named because of the rolling hills which surrounded the adjacent lakes. From its original name of Fair Mount, over time the name was shorted to its present name. It carries the moniker ‘City of Lakes’ because it has been built around a chain of five lakes. All except one lake are interconnected, which makes it a good recreation hub. It’s not a big tourist destination as there’s not much to see or do here, so you won’t find many hotels in Fairmont, Minnesota. However, the few that you come across are clean and comfortable, some with a good range of amenities.
Where to Stay in Fairmont, MN
Fairmont is no sprawling metropolis and neither is it big on attractions, so where you stay won’t really matter. While hotels in Fairmont, Minnesota are in short supply, most fall in the affordable sector. You won’t find any big luxury hotels here.
If you prefer a bit of luxury, then you might be better off choosing a hotel in Minneapolis which is a little over a two-hour drive from here. Minneapolis also features on the list of 22 best U.S. Winter Vacations, so if you’re this side of the globe during winter, you know where to head. In the summer, you could look for the best hotel pools in Minneapolis.
Super 8 by Wyndham
Located off Exit 102 on I-90, Super 8 by Wyndham is one of the more conveniently located hotels in Fairmont, Minnesota. You’ll find several attractions such as the Pioneer Museum, golf, and fishing in proximity to the hotel.
Like most of the hotels of this brand, comfort and convenience rank high. You won’t find any over the top amenities or décor but you’ll definitely enjoy a good night’s rest. Clean, comfortable rooms come with standard amenities such as TVs, free WiFi, and coffee/tea makers that will enhance your stay here. Guests can also enjoy a free continental breakfast each morning.
Considered one of the best hotels in Fairmont, Minnesota, for business travelers, the Holiday Inn scores high on amenities. Its location also makes it a convenient stopover for Midwest travelers. While you’ll find quite a few corporate offices in the vicinity, there are plenty of other attractions nearby even for leisure travelers.
The hotel’s contemporary guest rooms feature free high-speed wireless Internet access, HD TV, and well-lit work desks, besides a range of other comforts. Suites come with extra amenities such as separate living rooms, dining tables, and whirlpool tubs.
Though the hotel does not offer free breakfast, you can begin your day at the onsite Green Mill Restaurant & Bar that is open for all meals. The heated indoor pool is a good place to unwind with poolside services. There’s also a children’s pool and indoor whirlpool in the area. A cocktail lounge, billiards, table tennis, and a sleek fitness center are other perks that you can look forward to at the Holiday Inn, Fairmont.
Highland Court Motel
If all you want is a clean, comfortable space to rest your head, the Highland Court Motel is one of the more affordable hotels in Fairmont, Minnesota, that provides just what you need.
Don’t expect anything too fancy at the motel but you can look forward to a clean, comfortable bed. Rooms have air conditioning and heating. You also get free internet access as well as free parking. The pet-friendly property also has a 24-hour front desk.
Many hotels in Fairmont, Minnesota, have convenient locations, similar to Hampton Inn. Located just off I-90, you’re just a few minutes away from central Fairmont shopping and dining. If you’re someone who loves the outdoors, 15 minutes away you’ll find five local lakes and numerous waterside parks.
Contemporary guest rooms are quite spacious with a good range of amenities that you would normally find at hotels of this brand. From cozy Hampton beds to mini-refrigerators and coffee makers, there’s plenty to add to the comfort of booking a room at the Hampton Inn.
Breakfast is free for guests so you won’t have to stress about finding a good place for breakfast in the morning. If you feel like working up an appetite before breakfast, you could head to the fitness center or the indoor pool.
One of the best hotels in Fairmont, Minnesota, is the Quality Inn with its spacious rooms and range of amenities. The hotel is near the Fairmont Opera House and in proximity to other attractions like the Heritage Acres Historical Park. You won’t have to travel very far to find a good restaurant either.
Spacious guest rooms come with refrigerators, flat screen TVs, microwaves and coffee makers. They’re bright and comfortable with beds that feature premium bedding. While most en suite bathrooms have a shower, select rooms have hot tubs.
A free hot breakfast is available for all hotel guests every morning along with free weekday newspapers. You’ll also find an indoor heated pool as well as a hot tub. If you need any printing done, you’ll find a printer and fax machine on site.
Recommended Restaurants / Bars in Fairmont, MN:
- El Agave – If you love Mexican food this restaurant should definitely be on your places to visit in Fairmont. Located at 62 Downtown Plaza, you can look forward to authentic, home-cooked meals here.
- Green Mill Restaurant & Bar – Enjoy American favorites at this restaurant and bar that serves pizzas, pasta, beer, and more. Its award-winning deep-dish pizza is a clear favorite as is the legendary boneless wings.
- Bean Town Grill – A relaxed, upscale setting combined with some great food is what brings the customers in. Their appetizers are big hits as are some of the other dishes on the menu.
Recommended Activities In Fairmont, MN:
- Heritage Acres – Located on 40 acres of rich Martin County prairie this agricultural interpretive center is a great place to learn about the rich history of farming. You’ll also get a deeper insight into why the Midwest is called America’s Breadbasket.
- Fairmont Opera House – Enjoy a live performance at this historic theater that opened to the public in 1902. Though it opened as an opera house, operas have rarely been performed here.
- Sylvania Park – A good place for a day out is at this park which has a nice shelter house with lots of tables. There’s also a public dock for fishing, a small beach for swimming, and a bandshell where concerts are held in the summer.