Whether you’re an avid camper or a fearless explorer, having an outdoor lantern is a must. Lanterns are one of the handiest things you can bring. When there’s a sudden power outage, they’re what you look for. Want to light up your campsite? Again, you’ll need a reliable lantern. That’s why we’re here to encourage you to get one of the best outdoor lanterns battery operated, or maybe two. However, not all lanterns are worth getting. Some aren’t made for the outdoors, while others can only last for a while. With that in mind, we’ve handpicked some of the best options available on the market, including the popular battery operated Coleman lanterns! Can’t wait to find out more about them? Keep reading!
Table of contents
- Black Diamond Moji Lantern
- TANSOREN Portable LED Camping Lantern
- Internova Monster LED Lantern
- AYL Starlight 700 LED Lantern
- Coleman OneSource 1000L LED Lantern
- Energizer Folding Camping Lantern
- VONT LED Camping Lantern
- Lighting EVER LED Camping Lantern
- Coleman 1900 Collection 600L LED Lantern
- Coleman Quad Pro 800L LED Lantern
- UST 30-Day Duro LED Lantern
- AGPTEK Solar Lantern
- Coleman LED Lantern with BatteryGuard
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Outdoor Lanterns Battery Operated
- How long does a battery lantern last?
- What kind of batteries do solar lanterns use?
- What are the best battery operated lanterns?
Black Diamond Moji Lantern
Kicking off this list is the lightweight and compact Black Diamond Moji Lantern. If you need something that fits inside your camping backpack, this is the one. Not to mention, it comes with a collapsible hang loop that allows the lantern to be attached to your backpack without using a carabiner. How convenient!
When it comes to brightness, this isn’t the brightest. With 100 lumens, this lantern emits a soft light that won’t hurt the eyes. It’s more suitable for accompanying you while you’re reading inside your tent. In addition, it runs on three AAA batteries and can run for up to 10 hours on its highest setting.
- It comes with an adjustable dimmer so you can adjust the brightness level easily.
- Like many other outdoor lanterns battery operated out there, this one is also water-resistant.
- It’s available in multiple color options. But we have to admit, the Graphite variant is the coolest!
- It’s not the best option for those who need super bright lanterns to light up their campsite.
TANSOREN Portable LED Camping Lantern
Up next is the TANSOREN Portable LED Camping Lantern. We love how versatile this lantern is. Like other outdoor lanterns battery operated, this lantern is powered by three AA batteries and can light up for up to eight hours! However, if you forgot to bring extra batteries, it can also be recharged using solar, making it one of the top solar lanterns for camping!
Another thing that we love about this lantern is its design. For instance, the base features four magnets. The magnets allow the lantern to stand on a metal surface and won’t fall off easily even when the wind is strong. Better yet, it also doubles as a phone charger for camping!
- Featuring military-grade plastic, this lantern is exceptionally durable.
- When you’re not camping, you can use this lantern as an emergency kit.
- It allows you to save money without sacrificing quality.
- iPhone users are bummed as this lantern can only charge Android phones.
Internova Monster LED Lantern
As the name implies, the Internova Monster LED Lantern is truly a monster! Whether it’s your campsite or the entire forest, there’s nothing this lantern can’t illuminate! With 1500 lumens, this is one of the brightest options on this list. After all, the brighter the better, right?
There are four different modes that campers can use, including High, Medium-High, Medium, and Low Modes. What’s impressive is the fact that this lantern can operate for up to 31 hours at 270 lumens. Though it isn’t the highest setting, it’s still brighter than many other lanterns that are more compact than this one!
- Knowing how careless people can be, this lantern comes with a non-slip base.
- We love how sturdy and comfortable the handle is.
- Aside from being bright, this lantern is also durable and water-resistant.
- It’s surprisingly a little heavy.
AYL Starlight 700 LED Lantern
When it comes to durability, the AYL Starlight 700 LED Lantern is hard to beat. Though it looks not so different from other outdoor lanterns battery operated, this lantern is designed to take a beating! Thanks to its shockproof design, you don’t have to worry if you accidentally drop it.
Though durable, this lantern is surprisingly lightweight and compact. Apart from that, we’re huge fans of the hook at the base. It allows you to set this lantern up literally anywhere you want. Best of all, on a set of three D batteries, this lantern can be used for up to six days straight! Need more reviews about this lantern? Check out the positive reviews on dontwasteyourmoney.com!
- Aside from being shockproof, this lantern is also water-resistant.
- There are three different lighting modes to choose from.
- With 1300 lumens, it’s one of the brightest options on the market.
- This lantern is too small for some campers.
Coleman OneSource 1000L LED Lantern
Best Rechargeable. If you’re hunting for battery operated Coleman lanterns, you won’t be disappointed by this one. The Coleman OneSource 1000L LED Lantern is bright. It can light your night for up to 2 hours on the highest setting and 100 hours on the lowest setting. Pretty impressive, doesn’t it?
However, what we love the most about this lantern is that the lithium-ion battery is rechargeable. You can recharge it from any wall outlet or vehicle. You can even power it up using a universal power pack with the USB cord, which is also included. Best of all, it lets you charge your phone with its rechargeable battery system! If you want to check out more Coleman lanterns, take a look at these propane lanterns for camping!
- The lithium-ion battery is already included, so you don’t have to separately get it.
- You’ll love how soft the grip handle is.
- A reliable option for outdoor camping, this lantern is water-resistant.
- The charging cord is relatively a bit short.
Energizer Folding Camping Lantern
One of the best outdoor lanterns battery operated, the Energizer Folding Camping Lantern won’t let you down. The highlight of this lantern, as the name suggests, is its folding design. It can light up the entire campsite and room easily, and folding it is a breeze. Also, it’s not blinding when folded!
The runtime of this lantern is also impressive. In low mode, it can last up to 350 hours! Wow! Moreover, this water-resistant lantern is also bright enough that it can be used for emergencies. Whether you’re camping or there’s a sudden power outage, you can always rely on this item.
- There are three different light modes to choose from.
- It’s compact and lightweight, perfect for travelers and campers.
- Despite its foldable design, this lantern is water-resistant.
- The batteries you need to power this lantern aren’t included.
VONT LED Camping Lantern
Apart from making some of the best headlamps for caving, VONT also produces top-notch outdoor lanterns battery operated. Enter the VONT LED Camping Lantern. Featuring 30 LEDs, this sleek and modern lantern can easily light up the entire campsite at midnight. Nothing can hide from it!
Besides being super bright, this lantern is also lightweight and easy to carry, thanks to its comfortable handles. Moreover, it’s extremely compact. When not used, you can collapse this lantern and keep it in your bag. It’s so small that it can easily fit on your palm! And when you need to use it, simply expand it!
- It can easily run for around 90 hours straight.
- This durable lantern can withstand a 10-foot drop.
- Aside from being impact-resistant, it’s also waterproof.
- Sadly, the springs that hold the batteries in place aren’t that strong.
Lighting EVER LED Camping Lantern
Best for Targeted Lighting. It’s impossible not to love the Lighting EVER LED Camping Lantern. For targeted lighting, this lantern is hard to beat. Unlike other outdoor lanterns battery operated, you can use this lantern like a flashlight! This is thanks to its horizontal design and comfortable grip. Whether you want to light up your tent and gazebo or search for something in the woods, this is a reliable option.
Additionally, the lithium-ion battery, which is already included, can provide up to 6 hours of runtime for the headlight torch and up to 4.5 hours of runtime for the lantern. On top of that, this lightweight lantern can also charge your mobile devices when you need it.
- Its portable and lightweight design is one of the main reasons why it’s so popular.
- There are four light modes and two brightness levels to choose from.
- Though durable, this lantern is surprisingly budget-friendly.
- Some people find the flashlight switch to be hard to press.
Coleman 1900 Collection 600L LED Lantern
The Coleman 1900 Collection 600L LED Lantern is easily one of our favorites. If you love everything vintage, we’re sure you’ll feel the same way. Powered by four D batteries, this LED lantern pays homage to the brand’s classic gas lanterns, which explains its design. However, it’s more than just eye candy.
With 600 lumens, this lantern is one of the brightest battery operated Coleman lanterns. As stated on Coleman’s website, it can last for up to 17 hours in the highest setting, which is more than enough for most campers. Of course, this lantern is also durable. After all, it’s both water and impact-resistant.
- Though made to last, it’s still backed by a three-year limited warranty.
- The bail handle is large, soft, and comfortable.
- Many people also appreciate how lightweight this retro-looking lantern is.
- The light is way too white for some campers, though most of them have no problem with this.
Coleman Quad Pro 800L LED Lantern
Most Innovative. If you’re a fan of Coleman and searching for the best battery operated Coleman lanterns, you must check out Coleman Quad Pro 800L LED Lantern! As you can see from the picture below, this is a multi-panel lantern. Each of them comes with its own control, meaning you can light up your surrounding without having to carry the entire lantern. Pretty convenient, isn’t it?
Furthermore, this lantern is super bright. The beam distance of the base can reach up to 18 meters (59 feet), while the panels’ can reach up to 13 meters (14 feet). As one of the top outdoor lanterns battery operated, it’s also versatile. Aside from providing you light source, it can also charge your mobile devices!
- This product is backed by a three-year limited warranty.
- Durable, this lantern has an IPX4 rating, making it the perfect option for outdoor adventures.
- The lifetime LEDs will never need replacing.
- This lantern uses plenty of batteries. The base needs four or 8 D batteries, and each panel needs 3 AAA NIMH batteries.
UST 30-Day Duro LED Lantern
Among all of the outdoor lanterns battery operated, the UST 30-Day Duro LED Lantern is easily one of the best. Why? Well, just as the name implies, this lantern can run for 30 days! But what’s amazing is that some people have said that it can last for over 30 days! If you’re looking for a marathon runner, this should be your go-to option.
Apart from that, we also have to applaud its design. The base isn’t only rubberized, but it’s also impact-resistant. Unlike some LED lanterns that are too bright, this one comes with an extra frosted cover that helps to soften the light, so you’ll have an easier time looking at it. Don’t worry, you can remove the cover when you want this lantern to shine extra bright! Even Happily Ever Outdoors loves this lantern!
- Aside from being sturdy, this lantern is also lightweight as it weighs under two lbs.
- It can run longer than most of its competitors around the same price range.
- Considering its features, this lantern is affordable.
- It’s a bit difficult for some people to replace the batteries.
AGPTEK Solar Lantern
Our runner-up is the AGPTEK Solar Lantern. As one of the top outdoor lanterns battery operated, this lantern is a beast. The highlight of this lantern is the fact that it has five charging methods. Aside from being charged using AAA batteries, you can also power it up using a wall outlet, car adaptor, or solar panel, and you can opt to crank the dynamo as well.
Apart from that, we also love that it offers two brightness modes, including Bright Mode and Super Bright Mode. Without any explanations, we’re sure you know what their differences are. Additionally, this awesome lantern can also charge your precious gadgets! What can’t this thing do?
- The handle is easy to hold and extra sturdy.
- Although it’s brighter than many other options on the market, it manages to consume less energy.
- A super popular option on Amazon.
- Because of its construction, dropping this lantern means you’re going to break it.
Coleman LED Lantern with BatteryGuard
Best Overall. Out of all the battery operated Coleman lanterns, the Coleman LED Lantern with BatteryGuard is arguably the most popular one. Its main feature is stated in its name, which is the BatteryGuard. It helps to stop battery drain, you’ll always have the power you need when you’re out there. This technology will disengage the batteries from the circuit automatically once the lantern is turned off.
The runtime of this LED lantern for camping is also worth praising. It can last up to 14 hours using four D batteries. Apart from that, its build quality is as good as other top outdoor lanterns battery operated. It’s water-resistant and impact-resistant. As if that’s not enough, the LED bulbs will never have to be replaced!
- The BatteryGuard technology can extend the battery life up to 25%.
- There are four lighting modes to choose from.
- It’s manufactured by one of the most trusted brands on the market.
- Unfortunately, the batteries are sold separately.
Since every option on this list is amazing in its own way, we completely understand if you have a hard time deciding which one to get. To make things easier, we’ve classified some of the lanterns above according to some criteria.
- Best Overall: Coleman LED Lantern with BatteryGuard
- Most Innovative: Coleman Quad Pro 800L LED Lantern
- Best for Targeted Lighting: Lighting EVER LED Camping Lantern
- Best Rechargeable: Coleman OneSource 1000L LED Lantern
How To Choose The Best Outdoor Lanterns Battery Operated
When you’re buying outdoor lanterns battery operated, there are some important features you should look for, which are:
Depending on your needs and preferences, there’s no exact way to tell how bright your lantern should be. However, in most cases, lanterns with 800 lumens or more should be enough to provide 360-degree light coverage outdoors.
We don’t always need the brightest lights, right? Not to mention, keeping your lantern in its brightest setting can drain the batteries quickly. That’s why it’s important to choose lanterns that can be easily adjusted.
You’ll never know when the clouds decide to give you some rain. That’s why we encourage you to always get a water-resistant lantern. So, when it’s raining, you’ll have one less thing to worry about.
How long does a battery lantern last?
It depends. Many lanterns can run for 5 to 10 hours in their highest setting. To know exactly how long they can last, you should check each of their product descriptions.
What kind of batteries do solar lanterns use?
There are many types of batteries that campers can use for their solar lanterns. The most popular ones include Li-ion, NiMH, and NiCd batteries.
What are the best battery operated lanterns?
Again, it depends. But if it’s up to us, the best one has to be the Coleman LED Lantern with BatteryGuard, which is our number one pick!