Whether you love to chill on the beach or have a stroll around the neighborhood, you’ll need to protect your face from UV rays. Of course, you can apply sunscreen to your face. However, you’ll have another thing coming for you if you think that alone is enough. Wearing a sun hat is one of the best solutions to this problem, as it protects your face and neck. But if your head is on the bigger side, looking for the right sun hat for big head can be a hassle. That’s why we’re here to help people like you! We have picked some of the top sun hats on the market that not only fit big heads but also offer protection from the sun. Some of them are surprisingly affordable, and many may even be your new favorite wardrobe staple! Excited to find out more about them? Keep scrolling!
Table of contents
- Brixton Joanna Hat
- Wallaroo Hat Company Victoria Sun Hat
- Simplicity Wide Brim Roll-up Sun Hat Visor
- San Diego Hat Co. Ultrabraid XL Brim Hat
- Brixton Jo Rancher
- Coolibar Brittany Beach Hat
- Solbari Ultra Wide Brim Hat
- EINSKEY Sun Hat
- Scala Medium Brim Cotton Hat
- FURTALK Women’s Wide Brim Sun Hat with Wind Lanyard
- Sunday Afternoons Kauai Hat
- CAMOLAND Sun Visor Hat
- FURTALK Women’s Beach Sun Straw Hat
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Sun Hats for Big Heads
- What type of hat looks best on a big head?
- What is a large sun hat called?
- How should a sun hat fit your head?
Brixton Joanna Hat
Brixton has a wide collection of amazing hats, so it’s only fitting for us to kick off this list with one of its hats! What we have here is the Brixton Joanna Hat. This is a versatile hat that ticks all the right boxes. You can wear this hat when you need protection on the beach or when you want to catch up with your friends. In addition to that, we also love how it’s available in a wide variety of sizes. Those with big heads can opt for the Large option. It feels comfortable, and the length of the brim is nice, as it’s not too dramatic but offers enough protection. What’s not to like about the Joanna Hat?
- It’s available in many different colors and sizes.
- Made of 100% straw, it’s super durable.
- You can wear this hat for many occasions as it’s elegant and casual.
- Some people might find it too expensive.
Wallaroo Hat Company Victoria Sun Hat
There are so many ways to stand out when you’re on a crowded beach, and one of them is by wearing the Wallaroo Hat Company Victoria Sun Hat. What’s so special about this hat? Designed in Australia, this hat is available in a plethora of different colors! So, instead of going with the “normal” color choices, why not go bold and choose something more eccentric like the Lime variant? This beach hat is truly beautiful, and the company pays plenty of attention to the design. For one, we’re suckers for the slightly upturned brim. It differentiates the hat from the rest and adds more character to it. Best of all, this lightweight sun hat is packable and can be washed when dirty.
- There are 22 flattering colors to choose from.
- Made from 100% poly-straw, this hat is extremely lightweight.
- It’s a stylish hat that can be used for many outdoor activities.
- There’s no chin strap to keep the hat in place.
Simplicity Wide Brim Roll-up Sun Hat Visor
The Simplicity Wide Brim Roll-up Sun Hat Visor is one of the most amazing sun hats available out there. As the name implies, it’s both a sun hat and a visor! It comes with a huge brim made of high-quality straw that offers you great protection from the bright UV rays. Also, it’s available in plenty of different shades! Additionally, the head circumference of this hat can be adjusted easily. This allows the hat to fit big heads as well. Better yet, the topless design allows you to wear it with whatever hairstyle you want! If you’re a woman that looks best with a ponytail or bun, you’ll definitely appreciate this hat.
- This hat is available in a dozen of different colors.
- The topless design allows you to wear it with different hairstyles.
- The straw material is super durable.
- Since it’s topless, it also means your hair may be damaged by UV rays.
San Diego Hat Co. Ultrabraid XL Brim Hat
Steal the spotlight even when you’re on the beach by wearing the San Diego Hat Co. Ultrabraid XL Brim Hat! This beach hat for big head, as the name suggests, is extra big. It’s a dramatic hat with an extra-wide brim that protects your face, neck, and shoulders from harmful UV rays. Yes, this isn’t the most affordable option on the market. However, the construction is impeccable! This hat is both durable and comfortable. Want to stand out even more? Instead of the Toast variant (the one shown below), why don’t you choose the Hot Pink variant?
- This fabulous hat is available in five different shades.
- The extra-large brim offers full protection for your head, face, and neck.
- It’s a nice choice for those who want to stand out from the rest.
- This hat might be too much for some people.
Brixton Jo Rancher
Are you looking for a stunning sun hat that can protect your face properly? Look no further than the Brixton Jo Rancher! This product is worth getting as one of Brixton’s most popular hats. The wide brim makes it a great option for outdoor activities, and the delicate pinch makes it even more charming. Why do we think it’s a great choice for those searching for cute bucket hats for big heads? Well, that’s because it’s available in a wide variety of sizes, including L and XL. Furthermore, both men and women can wear this hat! Get yourself and your partner this hat and conquer the day together!
- There’s an adjustable velcro strap for a better fit.
- It’s designed for both men and women.
- This hat has a classic and beautiful design.
- You should note that it’s not made to be folded.
Coolibar Brittany Beach Hat
Another great option for those searching for cute bucket hats for big heads is the Coolibar Brittany Beach Hat. First of all, this beach hat is available in many different shades. However, our favorite is the Navy Artisan Paisley variant. It’s livelier than the rest and can elevate your fashion game instantly! But if you prefer something simpler, there are also other neutral colors.
One of the main highlights of this sun hat for the beach is its UPF50+ fabric. Yep, it can block up to 98% of UVA and UVB. Pretty impressive, isn’t it? That’s not all, though! With an internal sweatband, this hat offers you an adjustable fit, which is great if you have a big head. Some people with big heads have bought this item and said it fits them very well. Read more reviews about this hat on its official website!
- With a wide brim, this hat offers full face coverage.
- It’s foldable and packable, making it a nice travel compaction.
- This hat offers up to 98% UVA/UVB protection.
- It’s not for swimming as it’s not salt water resistant. Instead, look for the best sun hats for swimming!
Solbari Ultra Wide Brim Hat
Most Coverage. When you need plenty of sun protection, you can always rely on the Solbari Ultra Wide Brim Hat! One of the highlights of this beautiful hat is the fact that it doesn’t only cover your face and neck but also your shoulder, as shown by the picture below. This should be your go-to hat if you’re looking for the ultimate protection.
That’s not all, though! Apart from its protection, we also love the versatility of this wide-brim sun hat. Available in three colorways, this hat is reversible. It offers you plenty of styles to choose from. Another bonus that we love is the back slot designed for women with ponytails. What a thoughtful hat!
- There’s a drawstring closure that allows you to have an adjustable fit.
- It effectively blocks up to 98% of UVA and UVB.
- According to Solbari’s website, this hat can help you maintain healthier skin and is recommended by experts.
- This hat is way more expensive than many of its competitors.
EINSKEY Sun Hat
Best Budget. Whether you’re a man or woman, you can always wear the EINSKEY Sun Hat to have that much-needed sun protection. First of all, this sun hat for big head is ridiculously cheap! It costs you less than 20 USD and is way more affordable than most of the options on this list. However, this doesn’t mean it has nothing to offer! This sun hat doesn’t just protect your face from the sun as it’s also water repellent. It’s specifically designed to prevent water from seeping. Apart from that, we also love the breathable mesh panel that lets the heat escape easily. This will also prevent you from sweating excessively!
- The built-in sweatband prevents sweat from dripping down your face.
- This travel sun hat is packable and extremely lightweight.
- With an adjustable chin strap, this hat can stay in place even when the wind is strong.
- It’s not the most fashionable option.
Scala Medium Brim Cotton Hat
If you’re looking for something made from cotton, look no further than the Scala Medium Brim Cotton Hat! First of all, let’s appreciate the aesthetics! Aside from the Aqua variant, which is our favorite, it’s also available in a plethora of different colorways. Whether you’re into darker or lighter colors, you’ll find one that steals your heart!
Moreover, this hat comes with a hidden drawstring. This allows you to adjust the fit easily, even if you have a bigger head. Speaking of which, this is one-size-fits-all. Thankfully, unlike other cookie-cutter options, this one fits everyone’s head perfectly, whether it’s big or small.
- This beautiful hat offers great protection for both the face and neck.
- It’s made from 100% cotton, making it extremely comfortable.
- You can fold and pack this hat into your bag when traveling.
- The medium brim might not be enough for some people.
FURTALK Women’s Wide Brim Sun Hat with Wind Lanyard
Best With A Strap. It’s annoying when you want to head to the beach with your newly bought hat but the weather is a pain in the arse. Lucky for you, there’s FURTALK Women’s Wide Brim Sun Hat with Wind Lanyard! As the name suggests, this sun hat comes complete with a chin strap that you can adjust easily. That way, the strong winds won’t be able to blow your hat off anymore!
Apart from that, we appreciate the presence of the Velcro strap that you can find under the inner hatband. You can use it to size up to the hat, which is perfect for those with bigger heads. Like many other options on the market, this one is also packable. You can fold it and pack it into your backpack. Plus, it can get back into its original shape nicely.
- The recycled material is both comfortable and durable.
- Apart from the beach, this hat is also good for walking and other casual occasions.
- There are a wide variety of different shades available.
- Some people think the hat will be better with a stiffer brim.
Sunday Afternoons Kauai Hat
Most Breathable. Yes, the Sunday Afternoons Kauai Hat is one of, if not, the most breathable sun hat you can find right now! Available in Cream, Natural, and Tweed, this hat comes with an interior sweatband that’s extremely useful when the sun is hotter than usual. That way, you can enjoy your day on the beach without excessive sweat on your face!
As you can see from the picture below, the brim of this hat is facing upwards. However, it can also be worn down! That’s not the only thing adjustable, though. You can tighten the hat according to your preferences with the string. And though this is a one-size hat, many people said it fits people with big heads better!
- Even after it’s folded, it will reshape perfectly.
- This hat blocks the sun and protects your face from harmful UV rays.
- It’s extremely breathable and comfortable to wear.
- It isn’t exactly a cheap sun hat.
CAMOLAND Sun Visor Hat
When it comes to popularity, the CAMOLAND Sun Visor Hat is hard to beat. Many people love this sun hat for big head because of various reasons. The most obvious thing is its 4.8 inches brim that offers full protection for your ear, cheeks, forehead, and even neck! It does an impressive job of covering your face from harmful UV rays.
In addition to that, the 100% cotton material offers UPF50+ protection! Apply your favorite sunscreen and wear this hat for the ultimate protection! Another thing that we love is the breathable panel liner, which prevents sweat from ruining your beautiful makeup, so you can look your best all day long.
- This timeless hat can be used for both outdoor activities and daily wear.
- It’s lightweight and foldable, making it the perfect travel companion.
- Thanks to the hook-and-loop closure, you can adjust the size of this hat easily.
- Some people said that it left marks on their foreheads.
FURTALK Women’s Beach Sun Straw Hat
Best Overall. The number one beach hat for big head on this list is none other than the FURTALK Women’s Beach Sun Straw Hat! This beach hat is the perfect choice to pack in your beach bag, featuring a full rim and high UPF for ultimate sun protection. You don’t have to worry about the size, as the rim is fully bendable! As our top pick, this hat also comes with an amazing sweatband that can wick sweat away! Additionally, a chin strap allows the hat to stay in place on those windy days. Best of all, it comes in seven different color options, so you’ll surely find one that matches your preferences. Check out its full collection on its official website!
- This UPF 50+ sun hat is available in two different sizes, including L-XL.
- The Velcro strap allows you to adjust the fit easily.
- The paper straw material is extremely durable and fashionable.
- It won’t look nice if it’s folded too often.
The FURTALK Women’s Beach Sun Straw Hat may be our favorite as it has the perfect balance of functionality and style. However, the rest aren’t less impressive. They all offer amazing protection to your face. However, no sun hats are built the same. So, we’ve categorized some of them according to the following criteria:
- Most Breathable: Sunday Afternoons Kauai Hat
- Best With a Strap: FURTALK Women’s Wide Brim Sun Hat with Wind Lanyard
- Best Budget: EINSKEY Sun Hat
- Most Coverage: Solbari Ultra Wide Brim Hat
How To Choose The Best Sun Hats for Big Heads
There are some important features that you should always keep in mind when shopping for a sun hat aside from its size, which include:
The brim of the hat is key to UV protection. So, you’ll want to look for something that comes with a wide brim. It should offer enough coverage for your face, neck, and, if possible, shoulders. We recommend getting a hat with a brim that’s at least three inches!
Another thing that you want to consider is the SPF rating. Yep, just like Dermstore sunscreens, some sun hats also have an SPF rating from their fabric. Higher UPF ratings offer better protection. You should look for a hat that has at least a UPF50 rating.
Last but not least, you should consider getting a sun hat with a chin strap. You never know how extreme the wind can get. And when it does, your hat can fly off before you even realize it! Wearing a hat with a chin strap will stay in place even when the wind is blowing like crazy.
What type of hat looks best on a big head?
People with big heads should avoid wearing hats with small brims. Instead, they should wear hats with wide brims, like the sun hats above!
What is a large sun hat called?
It’s also sometimes called a lifeguard hat. Like most sun hats, it comes with a large brim and offers great protection.
How should a sun hat fit your head?
A sun hat should sit comfortably in the middle of your forehead and above your eyebrows. It shouldn’t obstruct your views.