Have you ever camped in an RV and dealt with a blown fuse or misconduct in the electrical system? Usually, those things don’t happen. Yet, you still need to protect yourself from such accidents. That’s why you should buy a surge protector for camper. A surge protector or an electrical adapter for a camper is real protection for your equipment as it shuts off the electric current upon any increase in the voltage, namely spikes. Thus, it’s a good idea to invest in a quality protector.
While surge protectors depend on the type of RV or the devices used inside, this list takes you to the best surge protectors and the most important factors to look for. Check out the list below to make an informed decision; either you want a surge protector for a camper 30 Amp or the best surge protector for RV 50 Amp.
Table of contents
- Neitra RV Surge Protector
- Southwire 34930 Surge Guard
- TRC 44750 Surge Guard
- Komsepor RV Surge Protector
- Camco Power Grip RV Voltage Protector
- HISVICON RV Surge Protector
- CARMTEK Portable RV Surge Protector
- M1A2 New Generation RV Surge Protector
- 3A Technology Co. Surge Guard 44280
- WENYIN RV Surge Protector
- Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO
- Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector
- Power Watchdog PWD30
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Surge Protector for Camper?
- Should I use a surge protector for my camper?
- What is the best joules-rating for a surge protector for a camper?
- Can I use a surge protector for RV 50 Amps with an RV 30 Amps?
Neitra RV Surge Protector
The Neitra RV Surge Protector is a good starter and a nice option for beginners or those who don’t think they’ll have problems with the electric current in their RVs. The surge protector for camper 30 Amp protects the RV from currents up to 1,050 Koules. However, there is no protection against low voltage, only high voltage currents.
The best surge protector for RV 30 Amp should tell you when there is a problem. Thus, our unit here will show you the status of the electric current using the circuit analyzer on the unit itself. It’s a simple LED indicator showing an analysis of the current to warn you whenever there is a problem. On top of all, the device is sold at a cheap price any camper can get.
- Perfect for campers, it’s portable and small.
- It’s one of the most affordable options out there.
- One of its main features is that it has a circuit analyzer with an LED indicator.
- Unfortunately, it has no protection against low voltage.
Southwire 34930 Surge Guard
Up next is the Southwire 34930 Surge Guard, an electrical adapter for the camper, and a surge protector for 30 Amps of current. The adapter has a door on the outlet box for safety. However, there is no grip or handle for plugging and unplugging this adapter. Generally, surge protectors are easy to use and install; this one is much easier as it has an LCD screen to monitor the electric current.
If you’re interested in the specs more, the adapter will protect your camper from surges that reach 2,450 joules. It shuts off automatically when the surge spikes and rests for 128 seconds. The device is a bit bulky but this won’t cause a big problem anyways. It’s still on the portable side. Watch TechnoRV’s YouTube video review to know more about this product!
- It comes complete with an LCD monitor screen.
- It has an automatic reset in 128 seconds to protect the compressor.
- Outlet box door
- It’d be better if this product had a grip or handle.
TRC 44750 Surge Guard
If you’re on a budget, the TRC 44750 Surge Guard is another good option to go for. Regardless of the price, it’s a high-quality product as well. The device shuts off automatically when it detects any faults in the current. However, there are no indicators to tell you the exact defect. For installation, this device is a plug-and-play; you just need to plug it into your RV.
TRC electrical adapter for the camper comes with a shock shield for extra protection. This is responsible for automatic shut-off, yet, you still need to reset the adapter manually. Although it isn’t the most expensive option on the market, it has numerous features you’ll love. For example, one of the plug heads is in the opposite direction of the other to make it easier to use it.
- Though this surge protector is of high quality, it still has a reasonable price.
- We appreciate how easy it is to plug it in.
- Shock shield
- It doesn’t have an auto-reset feature.
Komsepor RV Surge Protector
Up next is the Komsepor RV Surge Protector, a one-for-all surge protector that can be used in all weather conditions. The electrical adapter for the camper or surge protector has a cover that protects the inside from the rain. It also has a combination lock for security. And if you find anything wrong with the protector, you shall change it in the 30 days replacement period.
As for the material, it’s one of the highest-quality options ever. It’s a three-level surge protector for RV 50 Amp with a maximum energy absorption capacity of 4,200 joules. Speaking of the three levels, the protector is composed of a TVS, a metal oxide varistor, and a gas discharge tube. On top of all, it’s UL and ETL-listed.
- Thanks to its combination lock, you don’t have to worry about it being stolen.
- It comes with a waterproof cover for protection against rain.
- This protector is available in 30 and 50 Amps options.
- Some people find the cable to be too short.
Camco Power Grip RV Voltage Protector
Best for Easy Install. The Camco Power Grip RV Voltage Protector is a plug-and-play surge protector for campers coming in two options to choose from. The first one is a surge protector for camper 30 Amp and the other one is a surge protector 50 Amps. It’s a small unit with a grip on both sides, making plugging and unplugging the unit a breeze.
Moreover, it shuts off automatically and resets the power supply if any voltage spikes occur. To know the unit is working properly, there is a LED indicator to diagnose electric errors. Camco is a brand to rely on, it produces a lot of reliable RV accessories, and most of them are guaranteed. Take a look at Camco’s official website to read more about this item and check out its other products!
- It’s available in 30 and 50 Amps options.
- It comes with LED indicators.
- We love the fact that it can automatically disconnect in harmful situations.
- Compared to other options on the market, it’s a bit pricey.
HISVICON RV Surge Protector
With two LED light indicators, you’ll be able to easily tell when the HISVICON RV Surge Protector is working normally or not. The electrical adapter for the camper has a green power light and a blue surge light. When both are on, this means the surge protector is working normally. On the other side, when one of them is off, it means there is a problem with the surge or with the protector itself.
The device is ETL-certified which means you guarantee good quality materials. This certificate has to do with fires in particular. It means the unit is made of materials that don’t trigger fire in case it flames due to high voltage. Also, you have a 90-day warranty period if there are any problems with your surge protector.
- It has not only one but two LED indicators, so you can tell whether it’s working or not.
- As one of the best surge protectors out there, it’s ETL-listed.
- It’s backed by a 90-day warranty.
- Though not crucial, it’s unfortunate that you can’t close the outlet box door when it’s plugged in.
CARMTEK Portable RV Surge Protector
High voltage is always noticeable even if you don’t have the best surge protector for RV 30 Amp. Alternatively, low voltage is the real problem because when it happens, not all protectors can notice it. Thus, the CARMTEK Portable RV Surge Protector comes with the feature of recognizing high and low voltage and reacting accordingly.
The surge protector has a circuit analyzer with many indicators to monitor the electric current efficiently. The device automatically shuts off whenever there are electrical disturbances or surges to protect your RV. The device itself is made of weatherproof and thermal-proof materials. Plus, it has ergonomic handles to use easily.
- It offers great protection against high and low voltage.
- Many campers appreciate its ergonomic handles.
- The comprehensive circuit analyzer allows you to test the power source’s quality.
- Since it has no protection against the rain, it isn’t the best option for outdoors.
M1A2 New Generation RV Surge Protector
Another nice option on this list is the M1A2 New Generation RV Surge Protector. It comes with an added feature, which is the polarity tester. This comes in handy when you need to check the status of the power source before using it. Further, the surge protector is made with an outdoor camper in mind. It comes with a weather shield to protect the protector from rain and such weather conditions. Also, an anti-theft lock is included.
M1A2 is one of the best accessories for RV camping you can get. It comes in different options regarding the Amps rating and the length of the cable as well. Plus, you have a warranty for 12 months. All of these features come at a very good price.
- This surge protector comes with a polarity test to test the status of the power source.
- Its Weather Shield feature allows it to withstand rain and other weather conditions.
- The anti-theft lock prevents this item from being stolen.
- Beginners might have a problem using it as it has no clear instructions.
3A Technology Co. Surge Guard 44280
Most Compact. The 3A Technology Co. Surge Guard 44280 is one of the smallest surge protectors and the best surge protector for RV 30 Amp if you want a small option. The adapter is very simple, plug it into the power supply using the T-pull plug grip, and you’ll see light indicators of the electric current on the device. Moreover, it’s UL-certified for more safety.
Further, the surge adaptor is lightweight and small enough to pack inside a small bag for the camper. Moreover, it’s a budget-friendly option for those looking forward to saving money. And in case of bad weather, you have a cover on the power supply to protect the adapter from rain and other elements.
- It’s perfect for campers and travelers as it’s small and portable.
- Despite offering so much, it has an affordable price.
- This is a great option for those looking for a weatherproof surge protector.
- Sadly, it has no low voltage protection.
WENYIN RV Surge Protector
Are you looking for the best surge protector for RV 30 Amp at a reasonable price? WENYIN RV Surge Protector is an option with 4,100 joules of surge protection. The unit is capable of protecting your RV from high and low voltage. Hence, use all the fans, computers, TVs, fridges for camper vans, and any other device you might think of. Your camper is totally protected with this surge protector.
Moreover, this surge protector is composed of three levels for ensured reliability. It has a circuit analyzer with all the options and features you might think of. Plus, the grip handles will make your life easier when it comes to plugging and unplugging.
- It works well for both high and low voltage.
- There are LED indicators on the circuit analyzer.
- Many people love its comfortable grip handles.
- Unlike some options on this list, this surge protector isn’t weatherproof.
Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO
The Hughes Autoformers PWD30-EPO is a basic electrical adapter for a camper with no hassle in the installation process. This is sometimes all that you need to protect your RV from sudden spikes. Moreover, it’ll send you alerts on your mobile phone if there is a problem with the electric current. If you wonder how it’s very easy, the unit is connected to your mobile via Bluetooth, so you have to keep it open all the time.
Although the alerts feature is very technological and handy when it comes to being updated with the current, an automatic shut-off feature would have been great as well. In case you opted for this surge protector for the camper, you’ll need to take an action yourself when you receive an alert.
- It has a Bluetooth connection, so you can monitor the live park power it using your phone.
- Compared to some options on the market, it’s easy to install and use.
- Its reasonable price is one of the biggest reasons why it’s so popular.
- Unfortunately, it doesn’t have an automatic shut-off feature.
Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector
Best Value for Money. What we have here is a more professional option for those looking for the best surge protector for RV 50 Amp. The Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector has a lot of options to offer. The one in the image below is the hardwired 50 Amps surge protector. You have other portable electric adapters for 30 and 50 Amps. Apart from the various options, this unit has an LED screen to monitor the electric current and notify you of different errors before they cause problems to your RV.
One of the features you won’t usually find in surge protectors is the remote digital display. This way, you don’t need to look at the electrical adapter for the camper every now and then. Just have the remote display in your hands all the time, and you’re totally protected.
- The remote digital display does a great job of providing immediate updates.
- Available in many variants.
- As one of the most trusted options, it’s UL-certified.
- It needs an installation process, and some people find this a hassle.
Power Watchdog PWD30
Best Overall. Coming over to the last electrical adapter we have for today, the Power Watchdog PWD30 is one of Hughes Autoformers’ top products. It’s reasonably priced. Plus, it offers some of the most wanted features for any camper. The surge protector works for 30 Amps RVs, yet, there are other options for 50 Amps as well. As for installation, it’s easy, and the cords from both sides are longer than most surge protectors.
Furthermore, the unit is supplied with LED indicators to display the needed information when spikes occur. Plus, there is a mobile app you can connect to the device using Bluetooth connection. However, some people think the app isn’t of that importance. Best of all, the device is portable and easy to store. Have some questions regarding this product? Check out its official product description!
- It comes complete with comfy grip handles.
- We love how it can connect to a mobile app.
- Lightweight and portable, this is the perfect option for campers and travelers.
- We appreciate the fact that it has a dedicated mobile app. However, the app isn’t perfect.
Thanks to the surge protectors above, you’ll be able to minimize overload and keep your RV and yourself safe! However, we agree that not all of them suit your needs and preferences. That’s why we’ve categorized some of them according to the following criteria!
- Best Overall: Power Watchdog PWD30
- Best Value for Money: Progressive Industries RV Surge Protector
- Most Compact: 3A Technology Co. Surge Guard 44280
- Best for Easy Install: Camco Power Grip RV Voltage Protector
How To Choose The Best Surge Protector for Camper?
A surge protector for a camper might be one of the best gifts for an RV owner. It’s very useful and very important to have as well. If you’re interested in one of those surge protectors for yourself or for a friend, you need to check this buying guide.
The first thing to check is the Amps rating of the surge protector. Mostly, surge protectors are either for 30 or 50 Amps. So, you need to get the right option for your RV. By looking at the pin connectors, you can know whether the surge protector you’re buying is for 30 or 50 Amps. 30-Amps surge protectors have three-pin connectors, whereas 50-Amps surge protectors have four-pin connectors.
An important feature to check is whether this surge protector works for high volts only or for both high and low volts. Of course, the best thing is those that work for both. Also, you need to know how many volts the surge connector can deal with. Most of them can support up to 120 volts, which is usually enough for an RV camper.
Safety is very important for an electrical adapter for a camper. One of those safety measures is the weather protection shield which protects the adapter from rain. Also, the UL certificate, which deals with the material, is an added safety measure. Plus, the LED indicators and automatic shut-off will ensure the surge protector is doing its job perfectly.
Should I use a surge protector for my camper?
Using such an accessory is often advised to ensure your camper and all the devices inside are protected. A surge protector is a must if you plan to spend long hours in your camper.
What is the best joules-rating for a surge protector for a camper?
It depends on the number of devices and their estimated joules. The more devices you have, the higher joules-rating you need.
Can I use a surge protector for RV 50 Amps with an RV 30 Amps?
It isn’t recommended to do so, although it might work for a while. Yet, it isn’t the safest option ever.