Summer is finally here, and this means it’s the perfect time to hit the beach. But before you go, make sure to apply your sunscreen, get your sunglasses, and wear your most comfortable flip-flops. Oh, and don’t forget to bring your umbrella! No, I’m not talking about your regular umbrella. What you need is one of the best UV protection beach umbrellas. I’ve suffered from sunburns before just because I forgot to shade myself from the sun, and trust me; you don’t want that to happen to you. With an umbrella offering UV protection, you’ll never have to worry about skin cancer and getting sunburned. But since many different models are on the market, it can be tough to know which one to choose. This is why I’ve put together this list. Read on to know more about these umbrellas!
Table of contents
- Coolibar UPF 50+ Intego Beach Umbrella
- Hurley Beach Umbrella
- Frankford Fiberglass Beach Umbrella
- Prospo Beach Chair Umbrella
- Tommy Bahama 7 ft Fiberglass Beach Umbrella
- Wondershade Ultimate Umbrella
- Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF 50+ Adjustable Umbrella
- dig-git Beach Umbrella
- Blissun 7.2 ft Portable Beach Umbrella
- AMMSUN Beach Umbrella
- Sport-Brella Premiere UPF 50+ Umbrella Shelter
- OutdoorMaster Beach Umbrella
- BEACHBUB All-In-One Beach Umbrella
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best UV Protection Beach Umbrellas
- Can an umbrella protect from UV rays?
- What color umbrella blocks the most UV rays?
- Do I need sunscreen if I use an umbrella?
Coolibar UPF 50+ Intego Beach Umbrella
Kicking off this list is the Coolibar UPF 50+ Intego Beach Umbrella, a stand-up model that can withstand strong wind and heat. First of all, I want to highlight the weight of this umbrella. At just 4 lbs, it’s among the most lightweight options on this list. Not to mention, during testing, I was able to fold it nicely into the included nylon bag, so transporting it was never a problem. Don’t worry; even the quality of the nylon bag is good.
Want to enjoy the beach with your lover? Perfect! This umbrella’s canopy is big enough for two people. And with a UPF rating of 50+, you don’t have to worry about getting burned by the sun. Speaking of which, the fabric of the canvas is also water-repellent. Pretty Impressive, right? Finally, it’s available in several different colors to choose from. Check out this umbrella’s official website for more information!
- It’s an easy-to-use beach umbrella that does its job amazingly.
- Though lightweight, its durability exceeds expectations.
- It comes complete with a durable carrying case.
- The height isn’t adjustable.
Hurley Beach Umbrella
You may be familiar with Hurley since it has been featured in our list of the best neck warmers and wide-brim sun hats for men. But did you know that it also has a nice beach umbrella? Similar to many of its products, the Hurley Beach Umbrella is both affordable and pleasing to the eyes. It’s available in a wide array of colorways, though my favorite is the Sherbert variant. It’s vibrant and makes the day at the beach more exciting.
Apart from that, it’s also great at protecting your skin. Available in two height options, which include 7 and 8 feet, this umbrella boasts a silver-lined canopy that offers UPF 50+ protection. Want to tilt the umbrella and adjust the shade? All you have to do is push the button. In addition to that, it also comes with a convenient storage pocket for your beach essentials and a carrying bag.
- This is a cute beach umbrella that’s highly functional.
- It’s lightweight and easy to tote around.
- It’s easy to anchor the umbrella into the sand.
- The height of the umbrella isn’t adjustable.
Frankford Fiberglass Beach Umbrella
If you don’t mind spending a lot, we highly recommend the Frankford Fiberglass Beach Umbrella. This is one of the most durable and premium options you can find on the market. Thanks to its first-rate fiberglass ribs, long-lasting fabric, and ashwood center pole, this umbrella can easily last for years to come. Also, despite its durability, I was surprised by how lightweight it was.
Since this umbrella is listed here, you don’t have to worry about its sun protection ability. With a UPF rating of 50+, it’s always ready to keep you away from the sun. That’s not all! As a premium option, this umbrella is also resistant to mildew. Best of all, it’s backed by a generous five-year warranty. What more could you ask for?
- With heavy-duty materials, this umbrella can last for years.
- It’s available in a wide variety of colors.
- The umbrella is backed by a five-year warranty and the fabric is backed by a two-year warranty.
- It’s too expensive for some people.
Prospo Beach Chair Umbrella
Among all of the options available out there, the Prospo Beach Chair Umbrella has to be one of the most portable ones. So, what’s so special about this model? You may love the fact that it has an adjustable clamp. As the name suggests, you can use the clamp to attach the umbrella to your beach chair. In addition to that, you can also attach it to your stroller or wagon. Also, the clamp can be attached both vertically and horizontally.
Since this is a single-person umbrella, it’s smaller than most of the options on this list. Though small, it’s still mighty! This umbrella boasts a waterproof UPF 50+ canopy, protecting you from the sun and rain. In addition to that, the fiberglass frame is among the sturdiest. And thanks to the tilt button, I was able to adjust the angle of the umbrella easily.
- This umbrella comes with a high-quality carrying bag.
- Aside from being highly portable, it’s also lightweight.
- It’s backed by a one-year warranty.
- Some people say it has a weird smell when unboxed.
Tommy Bahama 7 ft Fiberglass Beach Umbrella
Best Premium. While there are so many amazing beach umbrellas on the market, this one is a standout as it comes with an integrated table. Introducing you to the Tommy Bahama 7 ft Fiberglass Beach Umbrella. This umbrella truly checks all the right boxes. Under the canopy, I was fully protected from the sun and had a place to put my drink high above the sand on the pop-up table. In addition, the setup process is pretty easy. I was able to assemble the umbrella alone in five minutes.
As with many other advanced umbrellas, this one also boasts an air vent to keep you cool. Better yet, the height of the umbrella is easily adjustable and can be tilted in any direction. Also, I love how the canopy is available in multiple different colors. However, I have to admit that the Solid Blue is the best one. And with a UPF rating of 50+, you’ll never have to worry about your skin anymore.
- The table features cup holders.
- Assembling the umbrella is relatively easy and quick.
- Weighing 4.7 lbs, it’s pretty lightweight.
- This umbrella is more expensive than many of its competitors.
Wondershade Ultimate Umbrella
When it comes to versatility, the Wondershade Ultimate Umbrella takes the cake. Whether you need shade on the beach or the field, you can always rely on this umbrella. How come? Well, that’s because aside from the tripod base, it also comes with a sand screw and handle. That way, you can take this umbrella on any outing. It also offers amazing protection, as it can block up to 98% of harmful UV rays.
I had the chance to use this umbrella, and it was great. Though I was alone, I was able to set it up in under a minute. In addition to that, both the height and the canopy are easily adjustable. Finally, it’s available in several different colorways. If you need a versatile umbrella to protect you from the sun wherever you are, this is a good choice.
- With two cup holders, you can keep your wattle bottles free from the sand.
- The height can be adjusted from 3 to 8 feet.
- You can use this umbrella for different activities, including picnics and camping.
- It’s not a reliable option for facing strong winds.
Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF 50+ Adjustable Umbrella
Best With Clamp. The Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF 50+ Adjustable Umbrella is an extremely versatile choice for beachgoers. It’s arguably the best option out there that comes complete with a clamp. Thanks to the clamp, you can attach the umbrella to your beach chair, baby stroller, and everything in between. I was impressed by the universal clamp when I first used it, as it was easy to operate, and the grip was strong.
When it comes to sun protection, this umbrella doesn’t disappoint either. The polyester canopy is super durable and offers UPF 50+ protection. It’s built to block up to 99.5% of UVA and UVB. Another thing that I love about this product is the fact that it comes with a carrying bag that’s mere 1.8 lbs. This makes it one of the most ideal choices for travel.
- You can adjust the angle of the umbrella easily with the 4-way 360-degree swivel and the button hinges.
- With the universal clamp, it can be attached to almost any surface.
- It’s available in a variety of sizes and shades.
- Unfortunately, it doesn’t cover your whole body.
dig-git Beach Umbrella
The dig-git Beach Umbrella is another premium option for those who dare to splurge. Though pricey, I can assure you it’s worth the money. If other umbrellas require you to get extra accessories, this one doesn’t. When I first saw it, I was surprised by its brilliant design. This umbrella has a base that can be used as a shovel and anchor. Use the shovel to help you dig a hole. Simply rotate the base into an anchor, and secure the umbrella! It’s as simple as that.
Like other top-selling beach umbrellas for UV protection, this one also has a high-quality canopy. The 220G fabric is thick and can protect you from the sun. In addition, it’s fade-resistant for up to 600 hours, making it one of the most durable options as well. On top of that, it can handle strong winds up to 40 mph. Get to know this umbrella a little bit better by watching its YouTube video!
- It comes with a sturdy carrying bag.
- The canopy is among the most durable on the market.
- It can handle strong winds.
- You should note that there’s no tilt feature.
Blissun 7.2 ft Portable Beach Umbrella
Best Budget. Of course, you don’t always have to spend hundreds of dollars to get a high-quality beach umbrella. Enter the Blissun 7.2 ft Portable Beach Umbrella. Costing you less than 50 USD, this umbrella sure is amazing. One of its biggest selling points is its design, which features a sturdy sand anchor. Based on my experience, it’s extremely easy to put into the sand.
Featuring an Oxford fabric, the canopy has a UPF rating of 50+. It can effectively protect you from harmful UV rays. Also, the canopy is wide and big enough for two people. And at 7.2 feet, this umbrella is pretty tall. But you don’t have to worry since it comes with a compact carrying case. I had an easy time carrying it even though I had to walk on the sand.
- Setting up the umbrella takes around 10 minutes, which is pretty fast.
- The canopy is big enough to cover two people.
- Compared to other options, it has a more affordable price tag.
- I’m not sure whether it’s strong enough to face strong winds.
AMMSUN Beach Umbrella
You don’t always have to empty half of your wallet to get a high-quality beach umbrella. Just take a look at the AMMSUN Beach Umbrella! Though affordable, it sure isn’t disappointing. Offering UPF 50+ protection from UV rays, the canopy is silver coated and is always ready to give you the shade you need. After I set it up, I noticed it had a vented top, which was great so it could withstand strong winds.
When you’re on the beach, the last thing you want is to spend hours removing the sand from your stuff. Lucky for you, this umbrella comes with a detachable table. That way, you can keep your water bottle, phone, sunglasses, and other essentials on the table away from the sand. Best of all, there are so many different designs to choose from!
- I love the portability and lightweight of this umbrella.
- It’s easy to adjust the shade.
- With air vents, this umbrella offers great wind resistance.
- The table is made of plastic and can’t hold heavy items.
Sport-Brella Premiere UPF 50+ Umbrella Shelter
Best Coverage. Looking for the ultimate coverage? Look no further than the Sport-Brella Premiere UPF 50+ Umbrella Shelter, one of the best UV protection beach umbrellas. This huge umbrella probably offers the best coverage compared to the rest available on the market. It comes with two side panels that are designed to protect your skin from the scorching sun. And as a versatile model, its panels can also clip back, giving you that classic umbrella look.
For me, the process of driving the anchor into the sand was pretty easy. And although the wind was pretty strong and the weather was hot, this umbrella managed to offer me the protection I needed. I also love the addition of the zippered windows, which promote better airflow. Also, thanks to the built-in pockets, I was able to keep my phone and smaller stuff away from the sand.
- The canopy is extremely big and offers protection from the sides, too.
- This umbrella is pretty easy to assemble.
- It comes in an array of different colors.
- It can’t stand upright.
OutdoorMaster Beach Umbrella
Another great addition to this list is the OutdoorMaster Beach Umbrella. This heavy-duty umbrella is everything you could wish for. For one, the canopy is layered with PU silver coating, offering you better UV protection than its competitors. The brand claims to offer UPF 50+ protection from sun rays. I’ve used this umbrella once, and I was truly impressed. The canopy was big enough for me and protected me well from the heat.
Furthermore, this is one of the more affordable options out there. Despite that, it’s still generous and comes complete with a sandbag, which can be filled with up to 44 lbs of sand. That way, you can say goodbye to flying umbrellas. In addition to the sandbag, you’ll also get a high-quality carrying bag that makes carrying the umbrella a breeze.
- The umbrella is backed by a one-year warranty.
- As one of the most durable choices, the fiberglass pole is resistant to corrosion.
- It’s available in a variety of different designs.
- Some people find the canopy to be not big enough.
BEACHBUB All-In-One Beach Umbrella
Best Overall. Showered by thousands of positive reviews on Amazon, the BEACHBUB All-In-One Beach Umbrella is by far my favorite choice. Of course, it does what a beach umbrella should do well. However, aside from offering incredible sun protection and a high level of wind resistance, this umbrella also comes complete with an anchor, sand tools, a base, and other accessories. That way, everyone can set the umbrella up easily and safely, no matter the weather. The wind was extremely strong when I tested the umbrella, and I was impressed that it didn’t even budge.
“This is simply the best beach umbrella ever. It’s sturdy and well constructed. I also like how it provides a lot of shade. Totally well worth the price.”WOW Travel
Another thing worth praising about this product is its weight. While this umbrella comes with a lot of extras, all of them can easily fit inside the complimentary carrying bag. Weighing only 9 lbs, even the weakest person in the group can carry it easily. Speaking of the bag, I love how the shoulder strap is well-padded. And with a UPF rating of 50+, the 7.5 feet canopy will always protect your skin even during the hottest season. Learn more about this umbrella on its official product page!
- This umbrella comes complete with a convenient carrying bag.
- It’s available in a wide variety of bright color options.
- Most people find it easy to set up and adjust.
- For an umbrella, it’s pretty expensive.
Among all of my picks, the BEACHBUB All-In-One Beach Umbrella is, for me, the best all-rounder. It offers amazing UV protection, it’s sturdy, and it can be used summer after summer. However, depending on your needs and preferences, the rest are also as great or even better. So, why don’t you check out the categories below and the best products?
- Best Coverage: Sport-Brella Premiere UPF 50+ Umbrella Shelter
- Best Budget: Blissun 7.2 ft Portable Beach Umbrella
- Best With Clamp: Sport-Brella Versa-Brella SPF 50+ Adjustable Umbrella
- Best Premium: Tommy Bahama 7 ft Fiberglass Beach Umbrella
How To Choose The Best UV Protection Beach Umbrellas
When choosing a beach umbrella to protect yourself from UV rays, there are some important features to consider, including:
Since you’re looking for a beach umbrella that can protect you from UV rays, the first thing you should check is its UPF rating. It indicates how well the umbrella can block UV rays. Luckily, it’s easy to find beach umbrellas that offer a UPF rating of 50+, which means they can block around 99% of UV rays.
In addition to the UPF rating, you should also consider the size and material of the canopy. A bigger canopy is better if you want the umbrella to cover yourself and one more person. Also, the fabric of the canopy should be tightly woven like polyester and nylon, so that it can block more UV rays.
Of course, you don’t want to get a flimsy umbrella, right? That’s why you must check the frame material to ensure it’s durable. I recommend getting an umbrella with an aluminum or steel frame, as it’s stronger and can withstand strong winds.
Can an umbrella protect from UV rays?
Most umbrellas can block around 90% of UV rays. However, I recommend choosing an umbrella with a high UPF rating that can block up to 99% of UV rays for ultimate protection.
What color umbrella blocks the most UV rays?
Darker-colored umbrellas are better when it comes to UV protection. That’s because they can absorb the heat.
Do I need sunscreen if I use an umbrella?
Yes, you do. Since umbrellas offer limited protection, you should always wear sunscreen even when you’re under the umbrella. If you need sunscreen, check out these travel-size sunscreens!