Whether you’re only using your RV for casual trips or actually living in it, maximizing space is one of the most crucial things to do. Getting a bunk bed for RV is one of the simplest ways to achieve just that. By having a bunk bed for camper in your trailer, you open up the opportunity to have a dedicated sleeping area dan better rest time.
Bunk bed mattresses for campers have become increasingly common these days. If you do a quick search on a marketplace like Amazon, you should be able to find hundreds of results. The problem is, how do you find a bunk bed for a van that works for you?
Below, we’ve reviewed the 13 best alternatives to a bunk mattress for campers. We tried to include a variety of models, so you should be able to find whatever you need here. Without much further ado, let’s check them out!
Table of contents
- Foamma 4” RV Travel Memory Foam
- FoamRush 4” Bunk Mattress
- FoamyFoam Mattress Replacement
- Fortnight Bedding 3” Foam Mattress
- Cushy Form Floor Mattress
- Molblly Folding Mattress
- Sinweek 3” Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Simmons Siesta Gel Foam Lounger
- Subrtex 3” Gel-Infused Memory Foam
- MyAnts Folding Mattress Twin
- Gaston Loft Bed in Gray
- DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed Black
- DHP Phoenix Transitional Twin Bunk Bed Gray
- Our Verdict!
- How to Choose The Best Bunk Beds for RV
- Can You Add Bunk Beds to RV?
- What Size Are Bunk Beds in RV?
- Can You Put Regular Furniture in an RV?
Foamma 4” RV Travel Memory Foam
At first, we weren’t big fans of foam mattresses. The main reason is that they tend to loosen up quickly. However, our views changed once we got our hands on the Foamma 4” RV Travel Memory Foam. This bunk bed for RV is much firmer than most similar products out there. It also provides a lot of support, so your back won’t hurt after a few hours of sleep.
As for construction, this bunk bed for a van can withstand loads up to 100 lbs. Based on our short tests, the memory foam was able to hold its shape, even after being subjected to a significant amount of load after 30 minutes. So if you’re looking for a new mattress to entertain your guests, this product would be a fantastic choice. And if you’re not sure if this mattress will fit your van, you can head over to the official Foamma RV Travel Memory Foam website. There you should be able to find all the information regarding the available sizes and models.
- It comes with the right dimensions, perfect for almost any type of camper van
- It feels soft and comfortable, helping you sleep better while in the RV
- There’s extra support to prevent back pain
- This awning is great for long-distance trips, keeping you energized for the entire camper trip
- It’s not exactly the cheapest bunk bed around, especially if you’re working on a tight budget
FoamRush 4” Bunk Mattress
A bunk bed for a camper is often associated with discomfort. There are countless stories of how people feel achy or even have back pain after spending the night on a portable mattress. Luckily, you won’t have any of these problems with the Foamrush 4″ Bunk Bed. This cold gel mattress features state-of-the-art cooling technology. It will release body heat to create cooler bedding. Apart from that, there are multiple point pressures to prevent you from having back pain.
Based on our experience, a bunk bed for a camper is prone to shifting. Fortunately, Foamrush had thought this through well. The company coats the bottom of the mat with a non-slip surface, so you don’t have to readjust it every few times. Disclaimer: There isn’t any cover included, so you need to get one yourself.
Getting your interior dirty is the last thing you want when traveling in your RV. That said, check out our take on the best outdoor mats for RV camping.
- This mat has a medium stiffness, which makes it suitable for those with back problems
- It offers quite a large sleeping area, making it perfect for any adult
- It comes with portable construction, making it easy to carry around
- We love the fact that it offers just the right amount of thickness, which makes it great for long-distance trips
- You may be able to find several other alternatives at a lower price
FoamyFoam Mattress Replacement
Of all the materials that can be used to make a bunk bed mattress for the camper, memory foam is one that’s considered the best. In addition to offering the right level of firmness, memory foam tends to retain its shape well, even after supporting a certain weight overnight. This is why we don’t hesitate to recommend the FoamyFoam Mattress Replacement. This fantastic product is made of quality memory foam that can adapt to the curves of your body. This allows you to have a quality night’s rest, even when you have to spend the night in a trailer!
Measuring 4x28x72 inches, this camper’s bunk bed mattress is relatively small. So if you consider yourself to be someone of more generous proportions, please get your homework done. Measure your body carefully and see if you’ll feel comfortable resting on this mattress.
- It’s made up of comfortable layers of material to guarantee a quality night’s rest
- It’s made according to US standards to guarantee quality and comfort, so you can buy it 100 percent risk-free
- The design will adapt to your body shape, which is great for those with back pain
- It’s a great solution for getting a good night’s sleep, even if you’re in a camper van
- There’s no cover included, so you need to spend some extra money to get one
Fortnight Bedding 3” Foam Mattress
Are you expecting a new travel companion in the near future? Need a new bunk bed for a van? Then you can’t go wrong with the Fortnight Bedding 3” Foam Mattress. It provides nice support for your whole body, which is great, especially if you’re a belly sleeper. You can use this mattress as an upper mattress. But if you want, you can simply lay it on your floor, and the mat will work just fine.
Please note that you may experience some discomfort during the early nights. This is normal because the foam takes a little time to adjust to your body shape. Just give the mattress a few nights, and we promise you it will be one of the best sleeping surfaces you’ll ever have in your camper!
- This mattress is easy to fold, making it super easy to store when not in use
- The mattress comes vacuum sealed to ensure that it won’t be damaged or torn during the shipping process
- It’s assembled according to high US standards to guarantee sturdiness and toughness
- The entire production process takes place in the USA, so there’s no doubt whatsoever about its quality
- The mattress may take a few nights before it starts to feel comfortable
Cushy Form Floor Mattress
Are you thinking about remodeling your van? Want to turn it into a sleeper vehicle? Well, the Cushy Form Floor Mattress will make a great addition to your project. It comes with a genius tri-fold design. So when you don’t feel like sleeping, you can fold the mat down to a small size and use the remaining area for other activities!
Sometimes we need to travel in our trailer and work from remote areas. So when it came to a night’s sleep, we didn’t have many luxuries. However, this bunk mattress for camper changes everything. It’s well-made and super comfortable. Plus, the manufacturer includes a protective case. So you don’t have to worry about getting the mat dirty in case you need to move it around.
- This mattress is a great solution when you want to host a few extra guests in your camper van
- It gives you the comfort of resting at home, even though you’re away from home
- The clever design allows you to use the mat for other purposes, including as a play mat
- Included in the package is a protective case, so the mattress won’t get dirty or damaged easily while it’s being stored
- It’s only available in green, which is a huge disappointment if you have some sort of theme going on in your camper van
Molblly Folding Mattress
While having a bunk bed for an RV is great, the setup process can sometimes be overwhelming. Especially if you’re not very familiar with reading instructions and unboxing anything beforehand. But don’t worry, because you can always grab the Molblly Folding Mattress. This beginner-friendly mattress comes with an instruction manual and requires only four simple steps to set up.
First, you must take the bunk bed for the van out of the box. After that, roll out the compressed mat. Once you’re done, you can cut out the plastic on the edges. Finally, leave the mat open. It will take at least 48 hours before it fully expands. So what do you think? Interested in getting this bunk bed for your RV?
- It can be folded into a more compact form, making it easy to carry around the camping site
- It comes with a multifunctional design, so you can use the mattress on a sofa, or bed, or even use it as a lounging spot.
- The mattress is made from breathable material to maintain optimal airflow while preventing you from sweating excessively during sleep
- The customer satisfaction policy allows you to get a replacement unit or a refund if you’re not satisfied with the product
- It takes up to two days before the mattress fully expands
Sinweek 3” Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Are you tired of all those sweaty nights? Are you frustrated at having to wake up with a wet back every morning? Well, you can forget about it all right now! Introducing the Sinweek 3” Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper, a bunk bed for a camper with super breathable material. It’s designed with small ventilation holes all over its surface. Those holes are intended to promote air circulation and provide a refreshing sensation on your back. So no more sweaty backs when you wake up in the morning in your van!
Besides comfort, safety is also one of the main factors we consider when choosing a bunk mattress for a camper. This is why we’re glad to know that the Sinweek 3” Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper is CertiPUR-Us certified. It’s made of non-toxic material and won’t do any harm to your body.
Are you looking to go on some great adventures with your RV this summer? Check out our best kayak racks for RV and give yourself an unforgettable vacation!
- The flexible support is able to adapt to the curves of your body, providing a resting experience like no other
- The ventilation holes allow for optimal airflow, preventing you from getting a sweaty back every time you wake up in the morning
- It’s made using high-quality memory gel to bring you ultimate comfort
- The mattress is available in a variety of vibrant colors, with purple being our favorite!
- Some customers say that the mattress hardens during the winter, so you may want to avoid traveling during the last four months of the year
Simmons Siesta Gel Foam Lounger
One of the best things about the Simmons Siesta Gel Foam Lounger is that you can use it almost anywhere. Lay it on your couch and use it as a mattress topper. No problem. Roll it out on the grass or in your RV and use it as a lounging pad. Sure, go ahead! The gel foam will support your body incredibly, leaving you feeling refreshed and ready for the next big adventure!
The secret lies in the ultra-plush cover that comes with air flow technology. It allows more air to flow around your body, creating a comfortable sensation that makes you sleep soundly through the night. Even better, the cover is removable and washable. This means you can always have a hygienic and clean sleeping surface at all times. Don’t forget to check out this bunk bed mattress for camper when you have time.
- It’s easy to install, giving a quick lounging solution for your camper van
- When not in use, you can roll the mattress into a more compact shape for easier storage
- It’s made using high-quality polyester to guarantee durability and toughness
- There’s a removable cover included, so you don’t have to spend some extra cash to get one
- You may need to be a little more patient because the mat will take some time to expand fully
Subrtex 3” Gel-Infused Memory Foam
Camper vans aren’t exactly the healthiest environment to live in. However, by getting the right types of equipment and furniture, you can certainly make things better. That includes having the Subrtex 3” Gel-Infused Memory Foam in your trailer. This lightweight mattress is CertiPUR-US, and OEKO-Tex certified. This means that the product has been thoroughly tested and declared to contain no harmful formaldehyde or phthalates. So if you want to create a healthier sleeping environment in your van, this mattress will make a fantastic choice.
So does this mean that the Subrtex 3” Gel-Infused Memory Foam lays flat in terms of performance? Well, not really. This bunk bed for a van definitely has its drawbacks. It may take up to 72 hours for the mattress to fully expand. Nevertheless, there’s still much left to be desired. The material, for instance, uses gel-infused memory foam to optimize airflow and reduce body heat. Apart from that, you’ll also get a removable cover made of soft bamboo rayon.
- The mattress is made by a company with a decade of experience, so there’s no doubt about its quality
- It has extensive warranty support, so you can buy 100 percent risk-free
- This product won’t require you to do any special treatment
- It has super comfortable memory foam to give you a great night’s rest while on the road
- It might cause problems for people with back pain
MyAnts Folding Mattress Twin
Having extra friends on a long road trip is a good thing. That means more people to talk to and more muscle to help with things. However, hosting extra guests also means you must prepare an extra bed, which can be a problem when you don’t have as much space as in a camper van. But don’t worry, folks, because we have found the solution!
Introducing the MyAnts Folding Mattress Twin 4″ Trifold Mattress, a gel memory foam bed made with portability in mind. Unlike most portable mattresses, this one comes in three different sections. Each section has its own folding groove, so you can change the mattress into a more compact form factor for easy storage. This means when your guests aren’t sleeping, you can put this bunk bed for RV on top of your closet or tuck it under your luggage compartment. This smart solution saves more space without making all your guests sleep on the floor!
- The memory foam gel provides extra support, which is extra beneficial if you have issues with your back
- It’s one of the few OEKO-TEX-certified mattresses available on the market
- The mattress is a breeze to clean, washing machine-friendly, and dryer safe
- It boasts a multi-layer design to guarantee extra comfort
- As far as we know, this mattress is only available in white
Gaston Loft Bed in Gray
One of our biggest issues with a bunk bed for RV is how difficult it can sometimes be to assemble. Especially if you’ve never had any experience with semi-DIY products before. It can take hours for you to figure out which bolt should go where or flip through manuals without finding any solution. Luckily, you won’t have that problem with the Gaston Loft Bed in Gray.
This non-convertible product is pretty straightforward to assemble. All the instructions you need are included in the manual. They are easy to follow, and there are even some illustrations in case you’re not too sure about what to do. So if you’re considering getting a bunk bed for a van and are still going back and forth doubting your assembly skills, this one would be a great purchase.
Keep your RV clean, even when you’re out in the wild. Check out our best outdoor mats for RV camping right now!
- The slat system ensures the mat won’t move around or fall over when your van is moving at high speed
- It comes with a strong wooden frame to ensure its durability
- It only takes about 5-10 minutes to assemble, even if you are not experienced with any carpentry stuff before
- It’s made using selected materials to ensure the product will last for a very long time
- It’s not convertible, which is a big disappointment if you have a smaller van
DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed Black
Getting some quality rest while in a moving van isn’t the easiest thing to do. Since you have limited space, there must be a lot of things that need to be compromised. However, the DHP Miles Metal Bunk Bed Black is able to solve this problem well. This stacked bed is able to provide ample headroom while maintaining its compact form. This is a welcome feature, especially if you’re a parent who travels a lot with your kids. Your little ones will need all the help they can get to rest comfortably while on the road so they can be fresh and ready for their big adventures the next day!
Apart from that, this bunk bed for a camper is sturdy. It is made of high-quality metal and includes secure metal slats. There is also a 12.5-inch rail guard for an additional safety measure. Sadly, the ladder can only be installed on one side. But if that’s not a big deal to you, this $225 bunk mattress for a camper will make a great addition to your RV. It offers ample space despite its low construction and is made of sturdy materials. Check this one out if you have time.
- It comes with quite a large dimension, able to handle up to two twin-sized mattresses
- It boasts a strong metal construction, which is great when you frequently take your camper van out over some bumpy roads
- The clever design makes this bunk bed perfect when you’re working with limited spaces
- It comes in an easy-to-handle box, allowing you to start the assembly process right away
- The ladder can only be installed on one side
DHP Phoenix Transitional Twin Bunk Bed Gray
A quality bunk bed mattress for a camper usually comes with a price. A good one can cost you between $400 to $500, some even more. However, this doesn’t mean you can’t find a bunk bed for RVs at a pocket-friendly price. Introducing the DHP Phoenix Transitional Twin Bunk Bed Gray, a stacked bed that can be yours for only $341! It’s about 20-30% cheaper than most similar products. We’re talking about a steal deal here!
So does this mean that you’ll compromise on a mediocre product? Not at all. In fact, this bunk bed mattress for campers is amazing. It has a solid construction, provided you put everything in properly. Of course, there will be a few scratches here and there, but they’ll only become visible if you really look for them. Overall, we’re pretty happy with this product. It’s affordable, powerful, and gives you the best value for money.
- There’s a limited one-year warranty, during which you can ask for a replacement unit or a full refund in case anything goes wrong
- You’re able to convert this bed into two separate twin-size beds
- It has solid wood construction, so you won’t have to look for another bunk bed for at least another year or two
- It’s made with portability in mind, which makes this bunk bed perfect for small spaces
- Some of the holes aren’t drilled properly, so you’ll need some carpentry skills to fix them
As you can see, many bunk beds for RVs are currently available on the market. But based on our testing, at least four products stand out from the rest. Each of them represents a distinct advantage. So if you’re still not sure which bunk bed to get, we hope our shortlist below can help.
- Best Overall: Foamma 4” RV Travel Memory Foam
- Best Design: Fortnight Bedding 3” Foam Mattress
- Best Value for Money: Sinweek 3” Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
- Best Budget: DHP Phoenix Transitional Twin Bunk Bed Gray
How to Choose The Best Bunk Beds for RV
Are you thinking about getting a bunk bed for an RV on an online marketplace? Well, make sure you consider a few important factors before you decide to hit that buy button. That’s because you wouldn’t want your hard-earned money wasted on some obscure or poorly made product. Therefore, before you decide to go with a bunk bed for the camper, make sure that it has a solid construction and is easy to assemble. See if the bunk bed mattress for the camper has a warranty or guarantee related to damage or defective product.
Below, we’ve listed the three most important things to consider when getting a bunk bed for a van. Without further ado, let’s check them out!
The first thing you should think about when getting a bunk mattress for campers is how big it is. You don’t want your bed blocking any windows or emergency exits. Therefore, make sure you measure your van correctly before you decide to buy the product.
A bunk bed mattress for a camper has its own weight restrictions. Some can handle up to 200 pounds, while others can do more or even less. Therefore, consider the weight of your children or guests. You don’t want to let them sleep on something that can break at any moment.
You need to understand that not all mattresses are suitable for your bunk bed. Each manufacturer has set a recommended depth for safety and convenience reasons. Attempting to violate these limits will risk injury or even death to anyone sleeping in your bunk bed.
Can You Add Bunk Beds to RV?
Yes, you can definitely do that. Just make sure you get the right size bunk bed and measure the available space in your van. The installation process shouldn’t be that complicated as long as you follow the instructions provided.
What Size Are Bunk Beds in RV?
Typically, a bunk bed for an RV measures about 28 inches by 75 inches. However, this will totally depend on what kind of camper van you have. Therefore, measuring the space in your van before you decide to get a bunk bed mattress for a camper is recommended.
Can You Put Regular Furniture in an RV?
Of course. You can put a couch, bed, or whatever in your RV as long as they don’t exceed the weight limit and you still have plenty of space left. Just remember to bolt them to the floor, so they won’t move around as your van starts to hit the road.