When it comes to camping, there are so many things that are considered essential. One of them is a camping lantern. That said, there are countless lighting options that can help you light up your campsite. However, one of the most overlooked yet simplest options is none other than the candle lantern for camping. Whether you’ve been camping for years or it’s your first time, you’ll always benefit from a candle lantern. Aside from being easy to use, it’s also more expensive than other lanterns out there. Unfortunately, not all candle lanterns are good enough and worth the money. So, to ensure you won’t regret what you buy, we’ve made a list of the best camping candle lanterns you should consider. Keep reading to find out more about our picks!
Table of contents
- LampLust Outdoor Lantern
- Washranp Mini Candle Lantern
- Coleman Citronella Candle Lantern
- UCO Mini Candle Lantern Kit 2.0
- UCO Original Candle Lantern
- UCO Candlelier Deluxe Candle Lantern
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Candle Lanterns for Camping
- Can you use a candle lantern in a tent?
- What is the point of a candle lantern?
- Do lanterns give off heat?
LampLust Outdoor Lantern
With its modern design, the LampLust Outdoor Lantern is easily our favorite. However, unlike other candle lanterns that use real lanterns, this one uses an LED candle instead! Though not real, the flickering candle is super realistic. Apart from that, the solar-powered LED candle is as bright as some options.
Another thing that we love about this candle lantern for camping is its durable metal frame. It’s designed to withstand harsh weather, and the black finish makes it look extra sleek. Moreover, since there’s no glass, you don’t have to be afraid of breaking this lantern accidentally!
- It comes with a solar rechargeable AA battery.
- This product is backed by an amazing 90-day warranty.
- The open-frame design means there’s no glass, making it shatterproof.
- Unfortunately, it’s pricier than most options out there.
Washranp Mini Candle Lantern
Though not the most popular, the Washranp Mini Candle Lantern isn’t something you should overlook. As if it isn’t obvious enough, this candle lantern for camping is tiny! Along with being small, it’s also lightweight and super portable, making it the perfect option for those who want to carry their lantern hassle-free, including your kids. Speaking of which, make sure also to read our list of the best camping lanterns for kids!
Despite being small, we love how this candle lantern can provide a decent amount of light at night. In addition to that, its high-quality construction also allows it to be extremely durable and wear-resistant. It’s a pretty tough lantern for its size! Oh, have we told you that it’s also extremely cheap?
- It’s a good deal for those who want to find cheap candle lanterns.
- Though tiny, it’s surprisingly durable and wear-resistant.
- We also love how bright it is than most people expect.
- Though super functional, it isn’t the most popular option on the market.
Coleman Citronella Candle Lantern
There are many beautiful camping sites in California. If you plan to go there, why not add ambiance to your campsite with the Coleman Citronella Candle Lantern? As the name suggests, this lantern features a citronella candle, which is known for its ability to naturally repel mosquitos, a.k.a, your number one enemy when camping.
Furthermore, this candle lantern for camping comes with a classic, vintage design that everyone loves. Keeping your night warm and peaceful, it also boasts an easy-grasp metal handle that makes the lantern a breeze to carry. Not to mention, it also doubles as a hanger! You won’t regret getting this product!
- It can burn for more than 70 hours straight! Pretty awesome, isn’t it?
- The cap is reusable and does a great job of protecting the candle from rain and debris.
- It’s one of the most popular candle lanterns on the market.
- Though it can repel mosquitos and bugs, it’s not the brightest option out there.
UCO Mini Candle Lantern Kit 2.0
Best Value for Money. Our top three products are all from UCO, a trusted brand when it comes to candle lanterns. What we have here is the UCO Mini Candle Lantern Kit 2.0. Candle lanterns don’t always have to be big. This tiny option is perfect for solo campers and when you need a light source while enjoying your dinner out there.
Though small, this lantern is far from flimsy. It features a strong aluminum construction that’s also lightweight at the same time. Not to mention, getting this petite candle lantern means you’ll also get four tea lights and a protective carrying case. Sounds like a good deal, doesn’t it? For more information about this kit, check out its official product page!
- The twist-lock, vented base allows you to swap candles easily.
- The carrying handle is comfortable to hold and super sturdy.
- The glass chimney is windproof, so the candle can keep burning in any condition.
- You must be extra careful so that the glass won’t slide out accidentally and break.
UCO Original Candle Lantern
Best Collapsible. As you can guess from the name, this is the brand’s OG lantern. The UCO Original Collapsible Candle Lantern has been making the brand proud for decades. What people love the most about this candle lantern for camping is its collapsible design. When compacted down, it’s only around 4.25 inches in height. That way, you can easily keep it in your camping backpack without taking up too much space.
Moreover, this lightweight candle lantern features a spring-loaded base that can hold the candle steadily. Aside from that, we also love the carrying handle. It’s sturdy and allows you to carry and hang it anywhere you want without the fear of it falling to the ground. In conclusion, getting this lantern is a must! Take a look at this video to have a better picture of how awesome this product is!
- Though lightweight, it’s extremely durable and comes complete with a powder-coated finish.
- Because of its windproof construction, the candle can still burn even in windy conditions.
- This simple candle lantern is available in numerous colorways, all of which are stunning and vibrant.
- Some people think it’s too small and feels like a toy to them.
UCO Candlelier Deluxe Candle Lantern
Best Overall. Sitting on top of this list is the UCO Candlelier Deluxe Candle Lantern. Trust us; you’d want to have this candle lantern for camping by your side. One of its main features is its frame. Made of aluminum, this frame is designed not only to stand the test of time but also to remain lightweight. Talk about the perfect combo!
Apart from that, this lantern can hold up to three candles on its spring-loaded tubes. What’s amazing is that it can be used not just as a traditional light source. You can use the heat of the candles to slowly heat a small meal or even a small jug of water! Want to know how it works after a year? Check out Cover the Camper’s one-year review!
- All of the candles can last for up to nine hours.
- The glass chimney is strong and there for both protection and reducing the dissipation of heat.
- Aside from the beautiful Green variant, it’s also available in Red, Yellow, and Aluminum!
- In some cases, the wax can leak.
We can’t imagine camping without these candles. They’re generally affordable, portable, and reliable heat and light sources. However, there are some lanterns that we think stand out more than the rest. Take a look at our list below and let us know what you think!
- Best Overall: UCO Candlelier Deluxe Candle Lantern
- Best Collapsible: UCO Original Candle Lantern
- Best Value for Money: UCO Mini Candle Lantern Kit 2.0
How To Choose The Best Candle Lanterns for Camping
You can’t just anyhow choose a candle lantern for camping. To get the right one, there are some features for you to consider, which are:
No one wants to get a lousy candle lantern for camping, right? So, always check its build quality before purchasing! Most candle lanterns come with a glass chimney and should be strong and sturdy. Apart from that, the frame of the candle should also be durable so it won’t break easily.
Like the best solar and propane lanterns for camping, candle lanterns are available in a variety of sizes. To make your camping experience hassle-free, never get something that’s too big or heavy. If you want to pack super light, you can consider compact. However, they’re most likely not as bright.
Last but not least, you should check the candle lantern’s purpose. There are many candle lanterns out there, but most of them are only for decorative purposes. Meaning they’re not suitable for camping as they’re heavy and only look good.
Can you use a candle lantern in a tent?
The answer is: yes, you can. A good candle lantern for camping can put out a nice amount of light. When the wind isn’t blowing so hard, it can raise the temperature inside your tent quite a bit so you can stay warm. However, you should always be careful in case something unwanted happens.
What is the point of a candle lantern?
Just like other types of lanterns for camping, candle lanterns can help you see more clearly at night. Apart from that, it’s also a good heat source so you won’t be freezing.
Do lanterns give off heat?
Yes, candle lanterns can give off heat and raise the temperature a few degrees. That way, you can stay cozy inside your tent when the temperature drops.