The camper van is more than just a travel companion to many people. It’s their mini home! And if you’re one of them, we’re sure you’ll want to make your camper van as homey as possible, right? One of the things you need to do is to make sure the indoor climate is perfect. The last thing you want is sweating like crazy during summer and freezing in the winter. This is why you should get the best insulation for camper vans! That said, insulating your precious camper van can be time-consuming, and honestly, it can get expensive. That’s why it’s crucial for you to know which best insulation for camper van to get and what important information you should know. Keep scrolling, and you’ll see our top picks and everything you need to know about camper van insulation!
Table of contents
- ROCKWOOL ProRox SL Mineral Wool Insulation Board
- American Wholesale Superstore Camper Thermal Insulation
- AA Plus Ceramic Fiber Insulation
- Siless Liner PRO 2-in-1 Heat Insulation Closed Cell Foam
- uxcell Heat Insulation Mat
- SmartSHIELD Reflective Foam Thermal Insulation
- Siless Liner Aluminum Foil Heat Insulation
- Generic Natural Wool Insulation
- Lynn Manufacturing Kaowool Ceramic Fiber Insulation
- Owens Corning Pink Insulation Foam
- US Energy Products Reflective Insulation Shield
- LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation
- 3M Thinsulate Thermal Insulation
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Insulations for Camper Vans
- Should I insulate my camper van floor?
- How do you stay warm sleeping in a van?
- Is it worth insulating a campervan?
ROCKWOOL ProRox SL Mineral Wool Insulation Board
Kicking off this list is the ROCKWOOL ProRox SL Mineral Wool Insulation Board. Campers can finally have an enjoyable experience with this insulation for camper vans as it can keep them warm during winter and cool during summer. What’s more, it offers a higher R-value per inch than fiberglass insulation!
To add, this insulation board is made of high-quality rock. It’s not a regular material, though, as it’s fire-resistant! And because of its extreme durability, it can last a lifetime! Moreover, this product also doubles as acoustic insulation, perfect for minimizing noise from the outdoors.
- Aside from being fire-resistant, this best insulation for a camper van is also water-repellent!
- Its noise-minimizing performance is worth praising.
- This insulation board is ridiculously durable.
- It’s more expensive than many other options on the market.
American Wholesale Superstore Camper Thermal Insulation
Next is the American Wholesale Superstore Camper Thermal Insulation, a reliable insulation that reflects 99.97% heat transfer. Yep, you read that right! That way, you’ll never sweat too much or freeze inside your camper van! In addition to that, this insulation also doubles as an amazing sound deadener and noise reducer.
As if that’s not enough, this best camper van insulation is also extra tough. Unlike cheap bubble insulation, it won’t pop or crush easily. Apart from that, it won’t oxidize like aluminum! Despite that, this item remains lightweight. Best of all, it comes complete with a spray adhesive kit, so you don’t have to buy one separately.
- This amazing thermal insulation can reflect almost 100% heat transfer.
- It’s extremely easy to use and moldable.
- It comes complete with a heavy-duty glue spray.
- For some people, this insulation isn’t thick enough.
AA Plus Ceramic Fiber Insulation
Another reliable option that won’t let you down is the AA Plus Ceramic Fiber Insulation. Besides its popularity, one of the highlights of this product is its durability. This non-toxic insulation can easily withstand up to 2,400 Fahrenheit constant temperature! Pretty amazing, isn’t it?
Furthermore, its ease of use is also another factor worth mentioning. Everyone in the family can easily roll it out and cut it easily with a sharp knife or blade. Not to mention, it’s a breeze to mold! And if you want, you can also use it for stoves and ovens!
- This product is extremely easy to use and cut.
- It can easily withstand high temperatures without releasing any toxic substances.
- It’s one of the more versatile options on the market.
- Unfortunately, some people think it’s a bit pricey.
Siless Liner PRO 2-in-1 Heat Insulation Closed Cell Foam
Best for Sound Deadening. Our list won’t be complete without the awesome Siless Liner PRO 2-in-1 Heat Insulation Closed Cell Foam. You might wonder what the 2-in-1 means. Well, as you can guess, this insulation can dampen sound vibrations and heat insulation! We highly recommend getting this product if you’re looking for the best camping experience in your RV. Talk about killing two birds with one stone!
Furthermore, this heavy and thick insulation is extremely durable. It can withstand high temperatures and is completely waterproof. What’s more, it has no weird odor! Apart from that, this insulation is a breeze to use. Cutting and installing it is a piece of cake, and it sticks to your camper van’s wall really well!
- Though other options can dampen sound vibrations, the performance that this one offers is way better.
- This durable insulation is 100% waterproof.
- The adhesion is super strong, which is good.
- Some people wish this insulation could be thicker.
uxcell Heat Insulation Mat
The uxcell Heat Insulation Mat is some people’s favorite insulation for camper vans. First, let’s talk about its construction. This liner insulation is just as great as rubber foam insulation, as it doesn’t absorb water and is extremely lightweight. Not to mention, it doesn’t have any weird odor.
As the best insulation for a camper van, it keeps everyone warm in the winter and keeps the cold in during summer. What’s more, it’s super versatile. Aside from your camper van, you can also use it for your car and even your apartment! That’s because this insulation can also absorb noise!
- This insulation mat is easy to cut and install.
- It’s one of the most versatile products available on the market.
- It’s both waterproof and moistureproof.
- Some people think this insulation mat is too thick.
SmartSHIELD Reflective Foam Thermal Insulation
While there are many options on the market worth getting, the SmartSHIELD Reflective Foam Thermal Insulation is a standout. Many people love this product because of its effectiveness. It’s not surprising, considering it can reflect up to 95% of the heat from the sun. Considering its price, the performance is worth two thumbs up!
That’s not all, though! Another factor that makes people fall in love with this insulation for camper vans is its versatility. It can also double as a radiant, sound, and vapor barrier! This product truly does it all! Also, we’re huge fans of its clean, white look! What’s not to like? To learn more about this product, watch this YouTube video.
- This insulation is non-toxic and won’t irritate your skin.
- It’s one of the most durable options out there.
- This product is available in four size options.
- Its sound-deadening performance can be improved. But this shouldn’t be a problem if your focus is getting heat insulation.
Siless Liner Aluminum Foil Heat Insulation
Best Value for Money. Another highly recommended product that’s going to blow your mind is the Siless Liner Aluminum Foil Heat Insulation. With this best camper van insulation, you can block up to 98% of radiant heat transfer. This means no more sweating when the weather is crazy hot and no more shivering during those snowy nights.
In addition to that, this lightweight insulation for camper vans is also waterproof. It absorbs zero moisture. Thus, it will never be smelly. Not to mention, it’s extremely flexible, so you can install it easily whether you have a roller or not. If the 36 sq ft variant is too small for you, you can get the 51 sq ft variant!
- This aluminum foil insulation is extremely popular.
- It can also be used as sound-deadening insulation.
- Despite its quality, this product is relatively cheap.
- Its sound-deadening performance isn’t the best.
Generic Natural Wool Insulation
Most Natural. For those who are looking for 100% natural insulation, the Generic Natural Wool Insulation is the safest bet. As the name suggests, this insulation is completely natural and safe to breathe. Aside from that, we also love how well it traps air and creates a thermal barrier from high temperatures. It’ll make your camper van an even more pleasant place!
Despite how it looks, this best camper van insulation smells good! Because of its natural characteristic, it has a scent of lanolin. For those who don’t know, this scent is often used for skin care products and smells sweet and grassy. Last but not least, it can also deaden the sound of outside noise, allowing you to have an uninterrupted sleep every night!
- It’s a natural insulation that won’t disappoint when it comes to heat and sound insulation.
- It surprisingly smells really good.
- Since it’s wool, it feels extremely soft.
- Not the most popular option on Amazon.
Lynn Manufacturing Kaowool Ceramic Fiber Insulation
Most Popular. When it comes to popularity, the Lynn Manufacturing Kaowool Ceramic Fiber Insulation is arguably second to none. Thousands of people have bought this insulation for camper vans, which speaks for itself. Even though it might cost you more money, it’s all worth it!
However, the highlight of this insulation is its durability. This insulation blanket can easily withstand direct flame. Also, thanks to its high insulating value, it can keep you and your family warm inside your RV during those colder months, just like the best canvas hot tents for winter camping. Another thing you should note is that it’s available in three different sizes, which are all one inch thick.
- When it comes to popularity, this is the best insulation for camper van.
- It can easily withstand direct flame and extreme temperatures.
- Cutting it into smaller pieces using a knife is easy.
- It’s kind of expensive compared to some of the options on the market.
Owens Corning Pink Insulation Foam
Affordable and reliable, the Owens Corning Pink Insulation Foam is a favorite among campers. Great for smaller camper vans that need more insulation, this insulation foam gets the job done without breaking your wallet. You’ll get four insulation pieces in total, and all of them are an inch thick.
What’s more, each of them is extremely durable. Unlike cheap styrofoam, this insulation foam won’t ever crumble into small pieces. In addition, it’s also moisture-resistant! If you want to make it into smaller pieces, you can do so by using a razor or hot knife.
- One of the most affordable options on the market.
- Cutting and installing it is effortless.
- Despite being budget-friendly, it’s surprisingly durable.
- There are some quality control problems.
US Energy Products Reflective Insulation Shield
If you’re looking for something to reflect radiant energy, you can consider getting the US Energy Products Reflective Insulation Shield! According to the website, this insulation for camper vans can reflect up to 97% of radiant energy, which is a lot compared to its competitors. Thanks to this item, you can effectively prevent your camper van from absorbing the heat transfer from the sun.
In addition to that, using this best camper van insulation is a breeze. This toxin-free insulation doesn’t need any protective clothing or respirators. You can also cut it into smaller pieces using any camping knife or scissors. Just staple or glue it to the wall, and you’re done! Pretty simple, isn’t it?
- This waterproof insulation won’t be affected by humidity or moisture.
- Another big reason to get this insulation: it’s fire retardant!
- Using this insulation is extremely easy.
- Some people wish this insulation would’ve been blackout.
LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation
Another great addition to his list is the LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation. This is a spray insulation for camper vans that doesn’t disappoint. One of the biggest reasons it has gained so much popularity is that it’s lightweight. It only adds around 0.1 lbs per square foot, which is unbelievable! On top of that, it’s also only around 1 mm thick when applied.
Many see this product as the best camper van insulation and environmentally and human-friendly. No wonder it has so many repeat customers. Best of all, it has more extensive coverage than some of the options out there. Though on the pricier side, you’ll get everything you need to get the job done easily!
- This insulation comes complete with a spray gun.
- Each kit can cover up to 100 sq ft of surface!
- Besides your camper vans, it’s also suitable for trucks, cars, street rods, and others.
- The installation process is more time-consuming for some people.
3M Thinsulate Thermal Insulation
Best Overall. The number one insulation for camper vans on this list is none other than the much beloved 3M Thinsulate Thermal Insulation! First of all, this best camper van insulation is available in many sizes, from 10’x60″ to 40’x60″. So, you can choose the larger variant if you have a bigger vehicle. But if your camper is on the smaller side, you can save more money and get the smaller one!
Furthermore, this insulation roll can be cut into small sizes, depending on your needs. With this insulation, you’ll never sweat too much or spend the night shivering anymore! In addition, this thermal insulation can absorb sound, offering a quieter and more peaceful environment so you can have a good night’s sleep. Take a look at this product’s official product page to learn more about it!
- This insulation’s hydrophobic fibers do a fantastic job of resisting mold and mildew.
- It offers more acoustic absorption than some of its competitors.
- It’s available in many sizes and can be easily cut down into smaller sizes when needed.
- This insulation has a higher price point than many others, which is understandable.
All of the options above are amazing, and we’re sure you won’t regret getting them. Though we have to say the 3M Thinsulate Thermal Insulation is the best compared to the others. But aside from that, there are also other standout products based on some criteria, which are:
- Most Popular: Lynn Manufacturing Kaowool Ceramic Fiber Insulation
- Most Natural: Generic Natural Wool Insulation
- Best Value for Money: Siless Liner Aluminum Foil Heat Insulation
- Best for Sound-Deadening: Siless Liner PRO 2-in-1 Heat Insulation Closed Cell Foam
How To Choose The Best Insulations for Camper Vans
Choosing the best camper van insulation is no easy task. There are many considerations to think of, and the followings are some of the most important ones!
Ease of Use
Installing insulation can be a time-consuming process. If you want to skip the hassle, you can get wool and fabric insulations. They’re easy to squish in the walls, and you can cut them into small pieces effortlessly. Using spray insulation can also save you energy and time. On the other hand, Celotex and polystyrene materials are harder to install.
Just because it doesn’t go inside your body doesn’t mean your insulation is safe. So, make sure the material of your insulation is toxin-free and won’t become toxic as time goes by. Also, you may consider getting fire retardant insulation!
As affordable as it gets, your favorite insulation will still cost you a significant amount of money, especially if you have a big camper van. Our advice is not to think too much about which is cheaper or more expensive. Instead, focus on the quality of the insulation. But if you want the cheapest option, foam board is the way to go.
Should I insulate my camper van floor?
Why not? Insulating your camper van floor can significantly decrease the total heat loss.
How do you stay warm sleeping in a van?
Is it worth insulating a campervan?
Yes, it is! Keeping your camper van well insulated is a must. It can keep you toasty on freezing nights while you’re camping and stop the temperature from getting too hot during those summer days.