The Mid-Autumn Festival is one of the most celebrated festivals in Chinese culture. It celebrates the end of the autumn harvest. And when talking about the Mid-Autumn Festival, also known as the Moon Festival, you should also talk about the lanterns. An integral part of the festival, kids are often seen parading around carrying lanterns. They’re used to light up the night and make the festival even more exciting. Many families also use them as decorations in their homes. If you’re looking for the best lantern for Mid Autumn Festival, you’re at the right place! There are plenty of options out there, from eco-friendly to LED ones. If you’re not sure which one to get, take a look at our recommendations below!
Table of contents
- Bothyi Mid-Autumn Festival Rabbit Lantern
- ALEX Toys Color 2 Lanterns
- homunides Colorful Chinese Paper Lanterns
- Mudder Chinese Paper Lanterns
- vinacreations Bamboo Silk Lanterns
- Aiminjey Paper Lanterns
- Kamoda Blossom Lotus Glowing Lantern
- JYCCYIHENG Bunny Lantern
- Present Avenue Colorful Paper Lanterns
- Asian Home Dragon Paper Lantern
- BYBYCD Moon Festival Lantern
- Uonlytech Chinese Paper Lantern
- BUZIFU Chinese Paper Lanterns
- Our Verdict!
- How To Choose The Best Lanterns for Mid Autumn Festival
- What do lanterns symbolize in Mid-Autumn Festivals?
- Who celebrates Mid-Autumn Festival?
- Is Mid-Autumn and Mooncake Festival the same?
Bothyi Mid-Autumn Festival Rabbit Lantern
If you’re obsessed with rabbits like we do, you’ll want to have the Bothyi Mid-Autumn Festival Rabbit Lantern for this year’s Mid-Autumn Festival! Made from paper, you can hang this adorable little rabbit in your kid’s bedroom or the living room. Or, you can even let your little one carry this lantern for Mid Autumn Festival around!
When it comes to the design, this lantern for Moon Festival is available in two options, which include Red and White. Our favorite is the White variant, but the Red one is also great for those who want something bolder. But why do we often see rabbit lanterns during the Moon Festival? Watch Chinu Meenu’s Legend of the Jade Rabbit to find out!
- There are two beautiful color options for you to choose from.
- This three-dimensional rabbit lantern can glow at night.
- It can be a nice year-round decoration at your home.
- This is a DIY lantern, and if you’re getting this for your kid, you may have to help them craft it.
ALEX Toys Color 2 Lanterns
Best DIY. We’re not surprised if the ALEX Toys Color 2 Lanterns are your favorite! By getting these lanterns, you’ll be able to save time and let your kids decorate the lanterns themselves. If they’re good at coloring, we’re sure they won’t have any problems decorating these lanterns.
Aside from that, your kids can also add some sparkle with the included sticker gems! There are 30 stickers in total! As the name suggests, there are two lanterns in this set, one is eight inches, and the other is six inches. Get these lanterns and let your kids use their imaginations! Speaking of which, you should also check out these camping lanterns for kids!
- The lanterns come complete with 6 markers and 30 stickers.
- Their design is unlike other traditional Chinese lanterns.
- They let your kids use their creativity and decorate the lanterns as they like.
- Compared to other Mid-Autumn Festival lanterns, these are more expensive.
homunides Colorful Chinese Paper Lanterns
Want to go with something simple but still eye-catching? You can’t go wrong with the homunides Colorful Chinese Paper Lanterns. These multicolored lanterns are available in 12, and they come in a variety of sizes as well. The smallest is 10 inches, and the biggest is 16 inches.
What’s more, these lanterns are a breeze to assemble. All of the come with a hook, allowing you to use them as hanging decorations. Plus, they’re 100% handmade from premium rice paper and the steel frame is super durable as well. Getting these lanterns is a good call whether it’s for the Mid-Autumn Festival or other Chinese celebrations.
- They’re available in different sizes and colorways.
- Each of these lanterns is handmade skillfully from a steel frame and rice paper.
- These elegant lanterns are easy to assemble and come with a hook.
- They’re the most expensive option on this list.
Mudder Chinese Paper Lanterns
Elegant and exquisite, who doesn’t love these lanterns? The Mudder Chinese Paper Lanterns are available in a set of 12, and there are 6 different floral patterns that are each equally beautiful. Though the paper is thin, you’ll be surprised by how strong it is. It won’t tear or break easily.
Furthermore, you can also DIY these paper lanterns and string lights together, making a stunning chandelier for your celebration. Better yet, they come complete with candle sticks! Aside from the Mid-Autumn Festival, these lanterns are also suitable for Chinese New Year and other celebrations.
- The assembly process is quick and easy.
- Available in a set of 12, these lanterns have 6 different floral patterns.
- When not used, you can fold these lanterns so they won’t take up much space.
- There might be too many for those who want only a few lanterns.
vinacreations Bamboo Silk Lanterns
Made of traditional silk, the vinacreations Bamboo Silk Lanterns are definitely worth the money. Available in a set of two, these colorful lanterns are handmade by skillful artisans, so you can rest assured each lantern is of high quality. Even the bamboo frame is crafted by them, and it’s extremely durable.
What’s more, there’s a special meaning behind these lanterns. The silk embroidery lanterns are designed to fight evil spirits and bring their owners peace. Such a good message for the Mid-Autumn Festival, right? Apart from that, they’re available in multiple color options!
- These lanterns come complete with LED lights.
- Handmade by skillful artisans.
- The bamboo frame is durable, and the silk is super soft and smooth.
- Though more durable, they’re also more expensive.
Aiminjey Paper Lanterns
Make your relatives and friends jealous by getting the Aiminjey Paper Lanterns! These pretty lanterns are made of durable and premium tissue paper, allowing the to be more durable than other cookie-cutter options. Not to mention, there are metal supports that add to their durability as well.
Who says assembling a lantern for Mid Autumn Festival is hard? These lanterns come complete with an assembly manual; even your kids can do it alone. Best of fall, they also come with LED lights, so you can have glowing lanterns lighting up your home!
- They’re reusable and can be used for many festivals.
- Available in a set of 12, each lantern has a different color and design.
- The LED lights can be used continuously for up to five hours.
- A little bit pricier than some options.
Kamoda Blossom Lotus Glowing Lantern
Best Musical. Looking for a floral lantern for Mid Autumn Festival that can glow in the dark? That’s exactly what the Kamoda Blossom Lotus Glowing Lantern offers! Unlike many other options on the market, this lantern can light up the festival and take the festivity to a whole new level. Though, of course, they’re not as bright as propane and solar lanterns for camping.
As if that’s not enough, this lantern can also produce music! Yep, simply switch the button and you’ll have a glowing musical lantern that turns heads. Oh, you’ll be surprised by how affordable this lantern is, considering its design and features! Also, did you know that this lotus lantern represents your heart and purity? Take a look at Urban Ladies’ explanation about the meanings of lotus in Chinese culture!
- This lantern is suitable for the Mid-Autumn Festival and other holidays.
- It creates a relaxing and romantic vibe that people tend to love.
- This beautiful lantern is cheap and easy to use.
- It may be too flashy for some people.
JYCCYIHENG Bunny Lantern
Best Design. Another great lantern for Mid Autumn Festival worth considering is the JYCCYIHENG Bunny Lantern. This has to be one of the most adorable lanterns on the market. Just take a look at the picture below! Not to mention, it features beautiful lighting effects that allow it to glow. Plus, it can rotate!
When it comes to the design, this lantern is available in five different colorways. The bunny is the same, but you’ll have different lotus colors. Apart from that, it’s pretty durable. Though pretty, the decorative lotus and leaves won’t be easily damaged.
- It’s one of the most adorable Mid-Autumn Festival lanterns.
- The lantern’s frame is made of wood and is environmentally friendly.
- It’s more durable than expected.
- The decorative lights are a huge bonus, but the batteries to turn them on aren’t included.
Present Avenue Colorful Paper Lanterns
Perfect for decoration, the Present Avenue Colorful Paper Lanterns are some of the most popular options on Amazon. Aside from being a nice option for those looking for a lantern for Mid Autumn Festival, these simple and timeless lanterns are also perfect for holidays, parties, and other celebrations.
You’ll get 15 colorful lanterns in total, and they vary in size. 8 of them are 12 inches, 5 others are 10 inches, and the last 2 are 8 inches. You can use them to decorate your room, your kid’s bedroom, or even the living room. They’re truly some of the most versatile and timeless lanterns ever.
- Thanks to their simple design, they can be used for many occasions.
- You’ll get 15 lanterns in total by spending less than 20 USD.
- The lanterns vary in size.
- They’re not as eye-catching as some lanterns on the market.
Asian Home Dragon Paper Lantern
The Asian Home Dragon Paper Lantern screams traditional. It’s the typical lantern for Moon Festival that you’d find on the market, but many people love it. Its round shape resembles the moon, making it the ideal option for the Chinese New Year and the Mid-Autumn Festival.
Moreover, this lantern for Mid Autumn Festival comes with an animal symbol: a dragon. According to China Highlights, it symbolizes good luck, strength, and health. Additionally, this lantern is one of the simplest ones out there. There’s no light bulb or wire!
- One of the most affordable paper lanterns out there.
- Its round shape is perfect for the Moon Festival.
- It symbolizes good luck, so you can never go wrong with this lantern.
- Those looking for a fancier or glowing lantern may not like this one.
BYBYCD Moon Festival Lantern
Another stunning addition to our list is the BYBYCD Moon Festival Lantern. Aside from being a pretty lantern for Moon Festival, this rabbit lantern also symbolizes fertility. Hence, it can also be used for other events like weddings or even baby showers. Such a versatile item, isn’t it?
Furthermore, this lantern for Mid Autumn festival is available in three different sizes, and each size has a different design. Not to mention, this lantern is super affordable. Though only made of paper, it’s pretty durable and can be hung anywhere you want.
- It’s available in three different sizes and designs.
- Symbolizing fertility, it can also be used for weddings.
- Though cheap, the paper’s quality is surprisingly good.
- Sadly, this isn’t the most popular option on the market.
Uonlytech Chinese Paper Lantern
Those looking for the best lantern for Mid Autumn Festival really can’t go wrong with the Uonlytech Chinese Paper Lantern! As the name suggests, this lantern is made from paper. It’s not just any paper, though, as it’s eco-friendly and thick enough to last long. With top-notch workmanship and crystal-clear printing, it’s a must-have.
Apart from that, you won’t be getting only one lantern! You’ll have six in total, each with different stunning designs. Each of them is beautiful and has a simple design. They’re the ideal decoration that matches the warmth and festivity of the Mid-Autumn Festival.
- You’ll get not only one but six lanterns in total.
- The paper used to make this lantern is thick and of high quality.
- Its exquisite workmanship is worth two thumbs up.
- May not be the ideal option for those who only want to get one lantern.
BUZIFU Chinese Paper Lanterns
Best Overall. Want to get Mid-Autumn Festival lanterns for the entire group or family? Then you should add the BUZIFU Chinese Paper Lanterns to your shopping cart! By just spending less than 25 USD, you’ll get not 1 or 6, but 12 lanterns in total! Such a good deal, aren’t they?
What’s more, each of these collapsible paper lanterns has a different design. That way, no one will have the same lantern for Moon Festival. Moreover, you can insert a small LED light or a candle inside the lantern to make it glow at night. But if that’s too much for you, simply carry it around or hang it in the living room!
- These lanterns are reusable and durable.
- Assembling these lanterns is a piece of cake, even for kids.
- To make the glow, you only need to insert an LED light or candle.
- They don’t come with LED lights or candles, so you’ll have to get them separately.
Each of the lanterns on this list is worth buying, as they’re all beautiful and give the festival an air of festivity. However, you might have a hard time choosing which one to get. If that’s the case, let us show you some of our favorite lanterns based on the following criteria!
- Best Overall: BUZIFU Chinese Paper Lanterns
- Best Design: JYCCYIHENG Bunny Lantern
- Best Musical: Kamoda Blossom Lotus Glowing Lantern
- Best DIY: ALEX Toys Color 2 Lanterns
How To Choose The Best Lanterns for Mid Autumn Festival
While it may seem easy, you should consider some important things when choosing the best lantern for the Moon festival. They include:
Tyes of lanterns
Normally, Mid-Autumn Festival lanterns are made of simple materials like paper and often lit with candles. Most of them have the shape of animals like a dragon or rabbit. However, nowadays, you can also find LED and plastic lanterns with light bulbs. There are even musical ones as well!
Mid-Autumn Festival lanterns are available in many colors, but did you know that they have meanings? Red and gold lanterns symbolize prosperity and wealth, which is why many lanterns boast these colors. Meanwhile, yellow represents royalty, and black symbolizes equality. You’re free to choose which color you love the most, but we think it’s worth noting the meanings behind each color!
Of course, the best lantern for Moon Festival should also be durable. While paper lanterns may not be weatherproof they should at least be durable enough that you can use them for many years to come.
What do lanterns symbolize in Mid-Autumn Festivals?
Lanterns were often only used as a lighting source. But for the Mid-Autumn Festival, they symbolize family reunions and are used to pray to the Gods for good fortune.
Who celebrates Mid-Autumn Festival?
Two of the biggest cultures that celebrate the Mid-Autumn Festival are the Chinese and Korean cultures.
Is Mid-Autumn and Mooncake Festival the same?
Yes, both are the same. People eat mooncakes during the festival as they represent family reunions. They’re used to express love and best wishes, which is why many use mooncakes as a present.